SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: smartpat to megger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:52 pm 

Hi,
i had a robin smartpat 5000 which i have used for over a year until it decided to breakdown and is unrepairable, my company have now bought a megger 420. my question is how can i get my master list of assets onto the tester as it seems it would be easier to locate an asset on the tester than idividually re-entering all the information for all 500+ assets. i have tried uploading my master list but the nearest i have got was to create a empty backup file so there was a database to upload to but all i got was an error stating missing test codes any help would be great.

Paul

Post subject: Re: smartpat to megger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paul, thanks for your post.

Yes, the problem is that in order to upload data back to the Megger 420, in addition to the appliance id, appliance description, room / location we also have to upload back the test code that was used to test the appliance previously.

In your case the tests were previously done on your robin smartpat 5000 and of course the robin wouldn't have recorded the same test code as needed by the Megger.

However, if you email an example of your robin files to our support email:

http://www.simplypats.co.uk/contact.html

I will see if there are logical test codes stored for the robin data. It then may be possible to bulk change those into ones that you have setup on the Megger. This may allow the data to be uploaded back into the Megger.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paul

I received your Robin SmartPat 5000 file and had a quick look at it today.

Unfortunately the only test code the SmartPat 5000 records is AUTO to show that it was an auto test. I.e. it doesnt differentiate between a Class I and Class II, IEC Lead test etc.

I think however it would be possible to group the appliances in SimplyPats by the Class column. You could then select all the Class II items and bulk replace the testcode with a Class II test code you have set up on your Megger 420. In the remaining Class I items you could group those that are IEC leads / Extension leads and group replace those with a testcode setup on your PAT420 for IEC lead tests and finally the remaining Class I items being set with a Class I Megger 420 test code.

A small modification to the SimplyPats file done under notepad (to say which tester had originally downloaded the data ) and you should be able to upload your Robin data back to the Megger.

I could give it a whirl tomorow, when I'm back in the office, with the file you sent and see if there are any issues?

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paul

Just as an update to this thread. Today we managed to bulk replace the test codes in the trial file that you sent us upload the data from the SmartPat 5000 back into the Megger PAT420.

There are a couple of niggles that we had to solve including the small modification to the SimplyPats file done under notepad (to state which tester had originally downloaded the data.)

Whilst the process seems to work, it does meean that you would have to select ranges of appliances from your original SmartPat files and bulk change the test codes to those being used in the PAT420.

Not sure how practical this will be as a solution but get in touch if you want to progress it.

Regards, Richard.

Last edited by richard on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spelling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 am 

Hi Richard,

sorry for not getting back sooner its been hectic but Thanks for your time, if the solution means a bit of work for me there is no problem and if its not to much trouble to yourselves let me have the instructions but if its alot of work on your part i can always put them on the long way round with each test as it occurs.

again thanks

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paul

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this post.

To upload the data from the Robin SmartPat 5000 back to a Megger 420 these are the following steps you will have to take.

1) Bulk Replace The Tests Codes

First of all it might be a wise idea to make a backup of your Robin SmartPat 5000 file just incase anything goes awry.

With the Robin SmartPat 5000 file loaded in SimplyPats 7, you will need to bulk replace ranges of tests with a new Megger 420 testcode. You may want to sort the appliances by name or by the Class column to help you do this.

Once you have selected a range of appliances to change, go to the Tools Menu and select the Bulk Replace option.

Attachment:
File comment: Bulk Replace Pat Tester Test Codes
bulk_replace_test_codes.jpg
bulk_replace_test_codes.jpg [ 8.8 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]

In the Test Code field, enter the test code that already exists on the PAT420 that you want these appliances to be tested by. (click Ok to perform the change)

NOTE! The test codes that you use must be ones already setup on the Megger PAT420

You will now need to 'rinse and repeat' selecting other ranges of appliances and bulk changing them with the appropriate PAT420 test code.

Save the PAT test file periodically as you make changes and of course once you have finished.

2) Changing which PAT Tester associated with your data file

The next step is to convince SimplyPats that your data file was produced by a Megger 420 tester and not a Robin 5000 tester.

NOTE! First of all make sure you have closed your Robin 5000 file in SimplyPats

To do this you need to edit the SimplyPats data file with note pad.

First of all find the SimplyPats data file on your PC. The easiest way to do this is to go to the System Settings Screen in SimplyPats (From the Settings Menu, Select System Settings) On the General Tab of the System Settings screen, click on the button that is labelled Open Data Folder

In the windows folder you should be able to find your file. If you right click on it with the mouse you should have a menu option appear that allows you to edit the file with notepad.

Attachment:
File comment: Changing PAT Tester Type
right_click_simplypats_file.jpg
right_click_simplypats_file.jpg [ 10.61 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]

The file should now open up in Note Pad.

Attachment:
File comment: Change PAT Tester from Robin SmartPat 5000 to Megger PAT420
change_pat_tester_used.jpg
change_pat_tester_used.jpg [ 48.17 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]

You will see at the end of the very first line of data (circled in red above) is a number. In your SimplyPats data file downloaded from a Robin SmartPat 5000, the number 9 is shown.

Simply edit this number and change it to a number 18. This tells SimplyPats 7 that the data was downloaded from a Megger 420.

Save the changes in note pad (File Menu, then Save) and close note pad.

3) Upload The Data Back to the Megger PAT420

Finally load your amended SimplyPats file and select the records you wish to upload back to the Megger 420.

It may be an idea to do some experimenting on a test file to see if there any repercussions before attempting a large job with data that you have changed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm 

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the information when i have 5 minutes next week i have some smaller files i can try but it sounds quite comprehensive and sure i shouldn't have many problems.

Again thanks for your time on this.

Kind regards

Paul