SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:51 am 

I am having difficulty transferring Client files from a PC with W7 SP6, to a new PC running W8 with SP7. I transferred the files to a USB and checked that they were visible. I plugged the USB into PC#2 and asked SP7 to find them. The only option SP7 gives is CSV files, but the suffix on SP6 is PAT. Consequently it can't find them. "No folders match your search". Any ideas? Llewellyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi Llewellyn

Many thanks for posting this question on the forum, this is something that we are being asked about on a regular basis as more and more customers upgrade to SimplyPats Version 7.

We are currently looking at implementing a solution to make the whole upgrade process easier when it comes to transferring your settings and data files from a previous version of SimplyPats to a new Version of SimplyPats.

In the meantime, information and data files (Client Files as you have referred to them) will need to be transferred or entered manually.

In your case it sounds like you have already done the sensible thing and made a backup of your SimplyPats Database (.PAT) Files onto a USB Memory Stick, we would advise that you do this on a regular basis anyway.

The best way to transfer your SimplyPats Data Files onto your new or existing PC running SimplyPats Version 7 would be to copy the individual data files into the SimplyPats 7 default Data Folder. To do this follow the instructions below:

1) Run SimplyPats Version 7

2) On the File Menu click Settings and choose System Settings to Open the System Settings Screen.

3) On the General Tab click the button “Open Data Folder”

4) This will now open a window with the title “Data” This is the current SimplyPats Version 7 Default Data Folder and the folder to which you need to copy all of your existing Data Files into.

5) Leave this window open on screen.

6) Plug your USB Memory Drive into a USB Socket.

7) Navigate to the USB Memory Stick via My Computer, Computer or This PC (Depending on Operating System) and open the Folder that contains the SimplyPats Data Files that you want to copy across to SimplyPats Version 7.

8) Select ALL of the Data Files using Edit > Select All, Ctrl + A on your Keyboard or the mouse.

9) Once they are all highlighted, they are ready to copy. Either use File > Copy, Right Click on one of the Files and choose Copy or use Ctrl + C on your Keyboard.

10) Close or Minimise the USB Memory Stick Window.

11) Return your attention to the Default SimplyPats Version 7 Data folder that we opened earlier in step 3

12) On the File Menu choose Edit > Paste or from your Keyboard Ctrl + V or using your Right Mouse button click anywhere in the Folder and choose Paste.

There are various other methods of the copy and paste method, I have just outlined one above as not to confuse the issue further.

Your Company Details including your logo and signature will need to be setup and entered manually via the Settings > Your Settings Screen.

There are other configuration files containing Price/Repair Codes or Abbreviation data for example, these too can be copied over to SimplyPats 7, but these need to go into the main App Data Folder for SimplyPats 7 and not the Data Folder. For these choose “Open SimplyPats App Data Folder” from the General Tab on the Settings > System Settings screen from within SimplyPats Version 7.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Llewellyn

I hope your issue

Quote:
transferring Client files from a PC with W7 SP6, to a new PC running W8 with SP7

has been resolved. If not please contact us as we can always go through the process Carl described above, or I'm sure he can dial in to your PC and assist you.

As Carl mentioned

Quote:
We are currently looking at implementing a solution to make the whole upgrade process easier when it comes to transferring your settings and data files from a previous version of SimplyPats to a new Version of SimplyPats.

You may want to read the post below where I have described details of a small utility I have been writing in order to try and simplyfy the process.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=937

Regards, Richard.