SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:10 pm 

Notice recently that the earth bond test limit figure showing in the SimplyPats 7 is at variance with that being indicated in the record on the Europa Plus. It's not happening for all records and I can find no relationship between those that are correct and those that are incorrect. e.g. Europa Plus record test limit - 0.30, limit shown on the SimplyPats software after download - 0.55. Don't know if the Europa is downloading the incorrect figure or it is being interpreted incorrectly by the Pats software. Have attached a file for reference. Incorrect figures show on Unit items 187/20, 404/12, 413/9 and others.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi johneviv

If you could send the data file to our support email address I will cross check the limits. It would also be useful to know what version of firmware you are running on your tester.

I know of a least one issue that could cause a variance shown for the limit of a particular test when reported by SimplyPats. The limits are calculated from the testcode (20 digit or so letters and numbers) downloaded from the pat tester. These individual letters and numbers represent the limits and I think are listed in the appendicies of the manual for the tester. I have noticed that when changing limits in the tester this is sometimes not reflected correctly by the test code being updated. I beleive in the past Seaward stopped using the testcode to determine the limits in the Europa and in the later testers such as the Primtest there is no testcode, only a description of the test carried out such as class 2 hand held.

It is also possible that a newer firmware than we have seen has changed the list of limits for a particular test. We saw this when the Europa Plus superceeded the Europa when the test code tables were changed.

Of course it is possible that there is a bug in the routine used to interpret the test limit which is only being triggered now and again.

As I say, once i have the data file I will cross check the limits displayed against the codes and see if I can work out what is going on.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon

Many thanks for sending your files last night, I have now had a chance to discover what is going on.

Where "User Edited" Test Limits were set in relation to Continuity, SimplyPats was incorrectly understanding the testcode and so displaying the limit incorrectly. This error would only occur when setting limits between those listed on Page 94 of the manual. I have asked Carl to email you a longer explanation of the maths.

Importantly the Result and Status of the test are unaffected as these are not determined by the testcode.

I will have a beta version over the next couple of days which hopefully addresses this issue.

Regards Richard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:40 pm 

Carl

Many thanks for the usual prompt and excellent customer service. Whilst the results were not affected, I was curious to know what was causing the misinterpretation and was more of a niggle to me than concern.

JohneViv