SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

PAT Testing Certification and Capitalisation of Descriptions

Historically the descriptive data such as appliance descriptions have been exported from PAT test machines has been solely in Upper Case, E.g KETTLE HADEN

Some of the newer PAT Test machines such as the Seaward Apollo 600 and 500 and the Megger 410, and 420 and 450 allow you to enter descriptions in Upper and Lower Case.
E.g. Kettle Haden.

SimplyPats currently converts any Appliance Descriptions, Locations, Sites, Users etc into Upper Case as this has always been the norm and was essential for comparisons undertaken in the SimplyPats code.

However it would be possible and relatively easy for us to convert the capitalisation of Appliance Descriptions, Sites and Locations etc to leading capital letters just prior to printing, giving the following look.

Attachment:
File comment: PAT Testing Reports With Capitalisation
Appliance Descriptions Proper Case.jpg
Appliance Descriptions Proper Case.jpg [ 39.53 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]

Currently the Reports look like this when all in Upper Case

Attachment:
File comment: PAT Testing Reports With Upper Case Descriptions
Appliance Descriptions Upper Case.jpg
Appliance Descriptions Upper Case.jpg [ 41.89 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]

If you think this might be a useful addition to make your PAT testing certification easier to read for yourself or your customers or then please let us know and we will implement it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:50 am 

I've been using the DOS based PATS program for many years, which was always capital letters. After a recent upgrade to the Apollo 600, along with Seaward's software, I have been able to use lower case letters as well.
During a phone call to Carl, I mentioned that some of my regular customers preferred the new formatting of lower case letters. One suggested that it was easier to read, other saying it now looked normal.
However, it raises the issue of how much is capitalised - 13A - IEC Mains Lead, or IEC mains lead, or IEC Mains lead, or IEC MAINS LEAD.
After mentioning this, I have tested a new customer, and entered all of the data into the Apollo. I now realise that it takes fractionally longer to keep checking if things should be capitals or not, particularly with serial numbers at this site, which had a mixture of upper and lower case letters.
Therefore, I now realise that forcing everything into capitals speeds things up on site, as you don't need to worry about capital letters if the software you download to capitalises it for you...and is therefore for my application at least, better!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Light Console

Many thanks for your input on this issue. What you say makes perfect sense to me regarding speeding things up on site

Quote:
forcing everything into capitals speeds things up on site, as you don't need to worry about capital letters if the software you download to capitalises it for you

My quick fix solution also would make a complete mess of the IEC Lead examples you gave:

Quote:
it raises the issue of how much is capitalised - 13A - IEC Mains Lead, or IEC mains lead, or IEC Mains lead, or IEC MAINS LEAD

They would all end up as Iec Mains Lead, which doesn't really look right.

It's a shame because the readability of text with upper and lower case letters is generally perceived as easier than reading text in all capitals.

Regards, Richard.