SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:46 pm 

I Have an existing data base i am trying to get into my Metrel BetaPatplus.
I can get the data I want across but then when it comes to testing it tries to run every single test. I want to be able to set which tests to run. i.e. Test this device as a class 2 device, test this device as a power lead.

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andrew

If you are uploading from SimplyPats back to your Metrel BetaPat Plus then the tests that it should perform are those that were done when the data was downloaded.

The tests performed are those that are contained as codes in the testcode (you can see the test code on the right in the extended information pane of SimplyPats, its a 20+ or so series of letters and numbers that relate to test codes and limits that you can cross check in the manual of the BetaPat Plus)

After upload it shouldn't do all the tests possible only those that were conducted originally.

Apologies if I dont fully understand. It maybe an idea to give us a quick ring and we can have a check of your data file and try it with our BetaPat Plus we have in the office.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andrew

I have just sent you an email asking for your data file if possible.

Richard said he didn't realise that you were in New Zealand when he mentioned giving us a call, however if we can not resolve your issue via email we will arrange a time for me to call you via landline or other IP service.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andrew

I have just had a quick chat with Carl who I know has spoken to you via email.

He has explained to me that your data is actually held in a spreadsheet as you have been testing and recording the results manually.

You have now decided to automate the process and have a Metrel BetaPat that you wish to be able to upload the manually entered data back to.

In SimplyPats 7 there is an import CSV feature (from the file menu) that will allow you to import the descriptive data (appliance description, site location etc) into SimplyPats, however as I think you have found if you try and upload this to the Metrel BetaPat, the tester will not know what tests to carry out.

There is a solution to this which will require a bit of effort but should work fine.

If you carry out a few example tests on your BetaPat e.g an extension lead test, a Class I and Class II test, with the test settings set as you wish them to be (e.g. limits, outputs and duration of tests).

You can then download these example tests into SimplyPats.

You will notice that each test will have a test code, something like this:

I04G000021QR11110000031000100000001001010

Each of the numbers and letters of the test code describe what tests (e.g earth continuity) of the BetaPat are performed and at what limits, outputs and duration.

If you export your data from SimplyPats as a CSV file (File Menu, Save As, Selected FileType as CSV) you can copy the test code to a notepad document or another spreadsheet to store your test codes.

Lets say for example the test code above is for a Class I appliance.

After you have imported your Manually entered data from your Spreadsheet into SimplyPats, you can sort or group your appliances so that you can select a range of all those appliances whose test code you want to set to the Class I test.

In SimplyPats from the Tools Menu selecting Bulk Change will allow you to modify the test codes for the selected tests.

Of course you could also add a new column in your spreadsheet of manually entered data and paste the test codes in (once you have got your default set of test codes from above).

Once the SimplyPats data file contains the test codes you will need to manually edit a number in the header line of the SimplyPats file to state that the testing was done by a BetaPat and not manually entered. (I will explain this more in detail should you get to this point).

You should then be able to upload your data back to the BetaPat and it will perform the correct test sequences with the limits, outputs and durations as you have defined them.

Hope this makes some sense. We can always give you a ring to clarify any questions.

You may want to read the topic below where someone is asking a similar question.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=943

Unfortunately I don't think the above process is something that would be easy to automate in SimplyPats. We support over 40 pat testers and the way in which test parameters are stored and uploaded is unique to each manufacturer. Also the settings users apply to each test type and the degree to which pat testers can have their settings defined are also variable.

Please get back to me if I can explain further or assist the process of getting your data uploaded back to the tester.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:28 pm 

Richard, that all sounds great. I can follow it nicely, except for when I go to import the CSV File into simplypats I can't select under "Field in simplypats" a "testcode" option.

I think this is probably complicated by the fact that we do custom tests and not just a standard Class1 Test.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Andrew

Quote:
when I go to import the CSV File into Simplypats I can't select under "Field in Simplypats" a "testcode" option.

Yes, my mistake, the ability to import a testcode from a CSV file isn't there. I will add it to the drop down list of fields in the import CSV screen. (I will do a beta build of 7.0.5 and ask Carl to email you a link where you can download it.)

Quote:
I think this is probably complicated by the fact that we do custom tests and not just a standard Class1 Test.

If you do a test sequence of all the test types you do, and download those from the BetaPat, you will have the testcode sequences for each type of test. However your tests are unique, the same sequence will be applied again after you upload.

Whilst this is a bit of a faff, hopefully it is a one off process, once you have the data uploaded to the BetaPat you shouldn't have to go through this again.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andrew

I have done a Beta build of SimplyPats 7.0.5 where I have added the ability to import test codes in the CSV Import.

I have also checked that in the Bulk Replace selection screen (where you have selected appliances) that you can enter the very long Metrel BetaPat test codes sequences if required.

Carl has uploaded the build to our web site and sent you a link where you can download the update.

Please let us know of any issues (this is a beta build and not due for official release until some time in November).

Once you have got the data in to your SimplyPats file from the spreadsheet you will need to edit the SimplyPats file with noted pad to change a token which identifies which PAT tester has created the data.

If you have the Australian / New Zealand firmware version of the Metrel BetaPat Plus then the number will need to be changed to 16.

However you might want to give a shout on how to do this in more detail when you get to that stage.

Regards, Richard