SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Import SpreadSheet (CSV) File Into SimplyPats

In Version 7 of SimplyPats we have added a facility to import data from a Spreadsheet (in Comma Separated Value CSV format).

NOTE! This function is only available in the Full Version of SimplyPats and not in the Manual Entry Version.

We have over the years been asked to import data from spreadsheet files for legacy systems, old asset registers or from manually entered PAT test data. We have done this for customers recoding the facility each time for each job.

In SimplyPats 7 if you have a spreadsheet containing Portable Appliance Data the program will read the Spreadsheet from the header line at the top and allow you to assign each value into one of the fields in SimplyPats.

Attachment:
File comment: PAT Testing Spreadsheet Import
CSV Import SpreadSheet.jpg
CSV Import SpreadSheet.jpg [ 50.52 KiB | Viewed 2911 times ]

You can select each of the SimplyPats fields from a drop down that you want each of the columns in your Spreadsheet to be assigned to.

Attachment:
File comment: Assign column of PAT Testing Spreadsheet to SimplyPats field.
select field to import into.jpg
select field to import into.jpg [ 27.19 KiB | Viewed 2911 times ]

This facility should read any spreadsheet save in CSV format which has the column headers as the first line and the data below.

It will allow you to import data from other mobile phone, pad programs or spreadsheets where data has been manually entered.

If you have data in some other program or database, please contact us if you need it converting. We have a large range of data conversion programs and utilities created over the last 14 years to help us do this quickly.

Last edited by richard on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Added Note regarding availability in Manual Entry Version

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Export User Defined Spreadsheet (CSV) File From SimplyPats

Following on from this post regarding importing data from Spreadsheet (CSV) files, we have added a user defined export function to allow you to select which fields, in which order and with what column headers a CSV file is exported.

This will allow you to export pat testing data that can be used for import by other third party programs or for your own custom spreadsheet uses.

In addition to the Import CSV facility this will also provide support for interfacing our data to and from, mobile applications (android, windows phone and IOS)

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=832

Note we will continue to offer a custom service to import and export data from a wide range of PAT testing databases and similar.

This feature will only be available in the full version of SimplyPats 7 and not in the Manual only or OEM Version of SimplyPats 7.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Creating Multiple CSV Import Schemes

As a modification to the Import Spreasheet (CSV) function outlined above, we have modified the screen to allow you to create multiple import schemes, and so import your PAT testing data from whatever source without having to re set up the assignments of where the PAT data is to be stored in SimplyPats.

We have had some users who are repeatedly importing CSV files from different sources. Each time they imported from a particular type of source CSV file they have had to set up the assignments of where the field were to be imported into SimplyPats.

Attachment:
File comment: Multiple CSV Import schemes to import PAT Testing Data from different sources
Multiple CSV Import Schemes.jpg
Multiple CSV Import Schemes.jpg [ 50.71 KiB | Viewed 2574 times ]

Added to the Import CSV File screen are two new buttons and a drop down selected.

New

Allows you to add a new CSV Import Scheme

Delete

Deletes the currently selected CSV Import Scheme

Once you have setup a new CSV scheme you can then select it from the drop down list at the top of the screen.

This feature will be available in the next free SimplyPats update 7.0.3. due later this year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 pm 

Hello folks,
I've got 10 clients on the Patguard3 software, which will expire (shame!) in a few months. I've had fun attempting to export and import tonight...and had a spot of RTFM-ing!

Firstly, in PG3, I discovered that you need to have as many results fields visible on the screen as possible, before starting the export to .csv process...what you see on screen is what you get in the file.

Secondly, you need to change any "Passed" to "Pass" in the .csv file BEFORE starting to import. Just as SPS7's lovely help file instructs you to do, if not, you will get an error message. Sorry chaps, it sent you some emails about that before I opened the help file.

There are also lots of differences between the terminology used in the fields, so I think I might re-word the results by hand to your format - such as the PG3 says next date, and SPS7 wants a time period. This is a snap to do in excel, so no bother, especially as they are all small sites. When I am selecting fields to import to, what does an output refer to (ie Insulation output)?

I love that there are schemes for importing, so clever...but...the make and model fields don't have an option yet. Please nicely, could they be given an option to be imported?

Best wishes,
Robert.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Robert

Many thanks for your post. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

Quote:
the make and model fields don't have an option yet. Please nicely, could they be given an option to be imported?

I have added (this morning) the Make and Model fields to the CSV import as requested. I haven't done a lot of testing on it, however if you would like a Beta 7.0.5 version with Make and Model in, then please give us a shout.

Quote:
you need to change any "Passed" to "Pass" in the .csv file BEFORE starting to import

I could have a look at this, I'm sure it would be straightforward (famous last words) to accept either Pass or Passed (and of course Fail or Failed, Skip or Skipped. Let me know if you'd like me to investigate this.

Quote:
Just as SPS7's lovely help file

Many thanks for your feedback on the help file. I think it is over 270 A4 pages long and would give Tolstoy a run for his money. It's a big undertaking to keep it up to date, so if you find any inaccuracies or missing information we'd grateful to have any pointed out so we can fix them.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 pm 

Hi Richard,

As always, thank you so much for such a quick reply. I'd be more than happy to use the beta to import the 10 sites and let you know that it's all fine.

No need for me to change the Passed/pass thing in your import section - Microsoft's replace tool makes short work of that in Excel.

I'll keep my eyes peeled in the help file, I do refer to it a bit at the moment, as I'm still playing and learning.

Best wishes,
Robert.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Robert

Many thanks. I will do a build of 7.0.5 tomorow and ask Carl to upload it to our website and send you an email when it's done.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:15 pm 

Hi folks...
Working well so far...just got to input the stuff that I couldn't export now!
R.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. Please let us know of any issues.

Regards, Richard.