SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Appliance degradation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:15 pm 

What's the best way to view the degradation of an appliance over several years? I use appliance IDs per customer - i.e. I have lots of different appliances with ID "001" - but I have different data files for each customer, each file containing all the data for that customer. I feel it ought to be straightforward to look at appliance id "001", for example, and to see how the results change year by year. I thought the degradation report would do this, but it seems to access all the files in my data directory, not just the open file. Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks, and Happy Christmas!
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tony

Certain features within SimplyPats are designed to work where unique Appliance ID’s have been used for every Appliance stored in the databases created, regardless of customer. You can of course duplicate Appliance ID’s across multiple customers but SimplyPats looks at the Appliance ID’s of Appliance as unique “Key ID’s” and has no other way of knowing that Appliance ID 001 belonging to Customer X is different to Appliance 001 belonging to Customer Y.

Richard may be able to offer some input on this with regards to a solution, however the SAMS (SimplyPats Asset Management System) that is currently in development and due for release next year will overcome this issue. This is designed to run alongside SimplyPats and offer additional features with regards to the management and processing PAT of data.

Regards Carl

Have a good Christmas and New Year by the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:58 pm 

I've just come back to this question, and I've had one of those "aha" moments. I can do exactly what I want, though in a rather cumbersome manner, by setting the folder to the data files (in System Settings) to an empty folder, and then copying in just the file(s) relating to one of my customers. Then the graphs make sense for me.

Now if only I could restrict the files used for the graph in a simpler way ... but then some people want everything, don't they!

Cheers,
T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tony

Thanks for your post, I'm glad you have worked out a sort of work around although as you say it's cumbersome. It's a shame the degradation only currently really works when you have unique asset id's.

When I get 5 minutes I will see if I can improve the degradation where you have non unique id's across customers, however in the longer term, our new piece of management software should address this issue.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:20 pm 

Hi Tony,

Instead of creating "001" etc for any (new) business why not use a mix of Alpha-Numeric numbering eg DPI001.

Where DPI relates to Department of Primary Industries and 001 relates to the commencement of a new asset listing for the client. You could also start to convert this type of numbering when you next visit that client.

In going to an Alpha-Numeric numbering system you will be creating a unique number for that unit and in due course when you want to check the degradation of a particular asset all you need to do is search for the asset you want to review rather than having all of the assets with the same number and then having to find the "needle" in the haystack like your are doing now (as I understand your original problem).

My explanation is a bit long-winded. Hope this helps.

Glenn