SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:31 pm 

I've never used the SimplyPATS certificate before, but have a use today. I'd like it to show the date tested, not a valid until date, and I was very pleased to see that that is an option. However, it doesn't seem to format correctly. Presumably the "Date Tested:" should lie over the "Valid Until:" text but it's in a different font and size, so that doesn't work.

I don't think I've done anything to change the defaults on this, and I'm running the latest version - 7.0.5.

Have I done something wrong, or is there a bug here?

Attachments:
File comment: Print Preview of V2 Certificate
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 39 KiB | Viewed 2222 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tony

Thats very odd, something very strange going on with your certificate. Ive just tried the same one and got the correct result.

Attachment:
File comment: v2 certificate
v2 certificate.jpg
v2 certificate.jpg [ 23.71 KiB | Viewed 2217 times ]

It is almost as though the image isnt being scaled correctly, although its also showing the Valid Until text which is very strange.

I will have a look at this in more detail tomorow to see if we can work out what is going on.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:17 am 

I've since realised that the version I was running isn't the latest and have updated to 7.0.6 but it hasn't changed it. If it helps, I'm on Windows 10 with Office 2010 installed. If you need further information, please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Hi TonyQ

This is almost certainly a scaling issue related to the way the Operating System handles different resolutions and screen sizes on various devices such as tablets etc. This I believe was a feature introduced with more modern Operating Systems such as Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

The Certificate in this case comprises of a background image filling most of the page, we then overlay certain information onto that image such as Customer Name and user editable Certificate text etc.

The Date Tested option was added after the Certificate was designed, prior to this the only date shown was the Valid Until Date. I know when I designed the image for the Certificate that the text “Valid Until:” was part of the image. When we added the option to toggle between showing the Date Tested this was simply overlaid on top of the Valid Until text thereby hiding it.

The scaling issue for some reason causes the Certificate background image to resize but does not affect the text we are overlaying, which in turn causes the issue you are experiencing.

We will certainly investigate further to see if there is anything we can change in SimplyPats to address this issue.

It would be interesting to know the following:

Is it a PC or a MAC?
    Are you using a Desktop PC, Laptop or Tablet?
    What setting have you set for Screen Scaling (see below)?

Screen Scaling Option… if you do not know where to find this I will give you some instructions based on the Operating System you are using. Or if you give me a call I can talk you through it over the phone or remote access into your PC.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 pm 

It's a Windows 10 laptop which I use with both its own screen and an external monitor, in "extended desktop" mode. If I'm in the right place (Settings->System->Display) then I've got the scaling at 125% on the primary screen (the laptop display) and 100% on the secondary (the external monitor). Both are "widescreen" displays.

I did wonder whether it was something to do with the logo or signature that I had loaded, but I've just removed both and the issue is still there.

I tried changing the report font, but that made no difference either.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Thanks the reply, we will investigate this further and see if we can implement a solution.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 pm 

Aha! It's the 125% on the laptop screen that's causing it. If I change that to 100%, the certificate looks correct. I hope that helps you produce a long-term fix, but at least I've got a workaround.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tony

Yes it's the DPI settings on the screen that is causing the issue with the graphic image. As you say, setting it back to the default 100 percent means that the certificate is displayed properly.

However in the longer term I have been experimenting with adding a DPI setting in SimplyPats that you can adjust to ensure the certificate images are scaled larger to fit. This is a bit of a cludge but I think I have got it working.....

Time permitting over the weekend I shall put the code in so that it can be tested properly (hopefully it wont cause issues elsewhere in the program.)

I will post the results on here when (or not) I have made progress.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 pm 

Richard, two comments:

1) You mention setting the DPI back to 100% as "the default". It's not on W10 on my laptop. It set itself to 125% and it show that as the recommended value, which I guess means that more folk may require the fix in future, so it's good that you're on your way to a permanent fix.

2) Just in passing, I don't know if you work with two screens in extended desktop mode, but I do, as I noted above. What's more, in the set up I've got, the recommended scalings for the two screens are different. I'm not sure whether that's relevant to the fix or not ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tony

Quote:
1) You mention setting the DPI back to 100% as "the default". It's not on W10 on my laptop. It set itself to 125% and it show that as the recommended value,

Yes thank you, Carl also mentioned this to me as on his Microsoft Surface Pro tablet this is the same case.

Quote:
two screens in extended desktop mode, but I do, as I noted above. What's more, in the set up I've got, the recommended scalings for the two screens are different.

I dont personally work with two screens and I suspect that it will only show correctly on one of the screens when the adjustment is made. I think it will too complex for us to hold two different settings and work out different settings on both monitors as this is handled by the graphics display and operating system.

Fingers crossed though, during printing or pdf'ing from the output will be correct. I guess once I have put in the changes we can try it out.

Thanks for your feedback, I will hopefully have the changes made in the next couple of days.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tony

I have finally finished coding a work around where the monitor DPI settings have been increased (under Display Settings, change the size of text, apps and other items), and the subsequent incorrect display of the background image on the Simplypats Certificates.

In Settings, Print Settings under the Certificate Tab

Attachment:
File comment: Enable DPI Adjustment of PAT Certificate
Certificate Enable DPI Adjustment.jpg
Certificate Enable DPI Adjustment.jpg [ 92.31 KiB | Viewed 2183 times ]

With the Enable DPI adjustment tick box selected, when you go to Print your certificate you will see an adjustment box on the Print Screen. (outlined in red below)

Attachment:
File comment: Adjust PAT Certificate background image DPI setting.
Certificate Adjust Image DPI.jpg
Certificate Adjust Image DPI.jpg [ 49 KiB | Viewed 2183 times ]

If you have set your DPI scaling to 150 then a value entered of about 145 seems to do the trick, however you can adjust the value, re selecting the certificate report from the drop down list (to get it to re draw) until you get the required value.

SimplyPats will remember your setting so that you do not have to adjust it next time (unless of course you have changed your monitor settings).

This fix will be in the next free update to SimplyPats 7 due later this year or early next year. If in the mean time you would like a beta version to have a trial of, then please let us know.

regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 pm 

I'll happily try a beta version. Thanks for fixing the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi Tony, I hope (fingers crossed) this goes some way to fix this issue however we have only tried it on one Windows 10 PC in the office.

Thanks for offering to test a beta version. Hopefully I will do a beta build tomorow so that you can test it. I will ask Carl to email you a link when it is done.

Regards, Richard.