SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows problems.
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 pm 

I seem to be having a couple of problems running V7 on my PC.

I have just got a new PC and upgraded to V7 and have to keep reinstalling the software each time I need to use it, as the antivirus software I am using (Avast) detects Malware and will not install unless it is switched off. And also, once installed, displays a sign stating the sps.exe file has been moved (I suspect to a virus vault).
Any ideas on overcoming this, apart from turning off the antivirus?

Problem number 2 is that I have a Metrel MI3311 GammaPAT and the USB will not recognise the tester.
The driver is not installed, where can I get one from?

Many thanks for your help...

Kevin.

Post subject: Re: Windows problems.
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kevin

capeltd wrote:
I have just got a new PC and upgraded to V7 and have to keep reinstalling the software each time I need to use it, as the antivirus software I am using (Avast) detects Malware and will not install unless it is switched off. And also, once installed, displays a sign stating the sps.exe file has been moved (I suspect to a virus vault).
Any ideas on overcoming this, apart from turning off the antivirus?

We have had a couple of reported issues relating to AVAST over the past week or two reporting a "False Positive" when installing SimplyPats, a quick search using a popular search engine using the term "avast add file to exceptions" will lead to a fan site with some information relating to the issue.

Or the main Avast Forum https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=123620.0

There is not a lot we can do in these situations, in the past we have contacted the software companies in question and waited months for replies just to be told "Make sure your users are running the latest definitions and latest version of the software"

capeltd wrote:
Problem number 2 is that I have a Metrel MI3311 GammaPAT and the USB will not recognise the tester.
The driver is not installed, where can I get one from?

The Metrel website has Driver Downloads for the USB Converters built into a number of their PAT testers, the current page is here http://www.metrel.co.uk/servicesuk/software.html

If you received a CD with the Metrel GammaPat PAT Tester you may also find the drivers for the USB on that.

If you are stuck with either of the above, please do not hesitate to call me for further help over the phone.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 am 

Thanks for the info
I can accept the un-install/re-install each time as I only use the program max 5 times a month, so it's not too bad and also the program keeps my details and company logo so I'm not required to keep inputting that each time.

I tried the Metrel USB driver download, which never worked on its own, but I installed the PATlink PRO software and now V7 works fine and acknowledges the device.

Thanks for your help Carl...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kevin

If possible, adding it to the Exception list would be far better and easier going forward.

I downloaded the same install file that your Avast is flagging up and uploaded it to an online Virus checking tool which checked the file against 50+ Virus Detection Engines, one of which was Avast (as shown in the screen shot) which gave it the all clear along with the other ones.

Attachment:
VT-Check.png
VT-Check.png [ 20.95 KiB | Viewed 2506 times ]

Good to hear about the USB Drivers, yep installing the Software from the CD generally includes the Drivers.