SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: invoice numbers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:34 pm 

I seem to be having a problem with my invoice numbers. I have just noticed that the invoice numbering is not ascending correctly and that I have lots off duplicate invoice numbers going back for months.

When I check in "your settings" it shows the correct next invoice number but when I make a new invoice the program seems to pick a old invoice number and uses that? This has resulted in me having lots of duplicate invoices. It does not happen every time only about 1 in 30 invoices or so.

Post subject: Re: invoice numbers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ryan

I have done some extensive testing with regards to the issue you have reported and cannot replicate the error using the current build.

Trying to replicate some issues can be difficult due to the complexity of a particular feature and the various ways the data within the feature can be accessed or updated.

To test, I loaded various files and created an invoice. The invoice number incremented each time where I chose to increment the number, and did not increment where I chose not to. Interestingly the invoice number did increment anyway when choosing the come out of the invoice screen by pressing the “Close Window” (red cross in the top right of the window). This should possibly not happen but as it is incrementing the Invoice Number it would not cause the issue you have reported.

SimplyPats saves the next Invoice Number when you close the program down, not immediately when creating the invoice and answering the question to increment or not. If the program crashes then the next Invoice Number may not be updated or saved, but this can be manually changed by the user anyway when they next enter the software or create an invoice. This again would not be the cause of the issue you have reported.

Ultimately given the testing I have done, I am unable to get to a situation where the next invoice number displayed on the invoice is not equal to the next invoice number stored in SimplyPats and displayed under Settings > Your Settings.

Being unable to replicate errors reported can be very frustrating for us, as we are unable to offer either a reason for the error or a fix.

We will investigate further and while I know this is not ideal we would recommend you double check the invoice numbering each time.

I know from experience that we have a large number of users creating invoices from SimplyPats and we have not had any issues of this nature reported to us, this would normally lead us to look at the possibility that it is specifically related to your system or setup. Perhaps you can give us some detailed information of what you are doing when this happens (method, button presses, screen shots etc).

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:26 pm 

Hi Carl,

I was not aware that I had to close the program between every invoice. This could explain what is going on, some days I will invoice a few customers in a single day.

In all honesty it does seem a bit funny having to close the program and then open it again in order to increase the invoice number. Are you able to change this to just increase after every invoice? Seems more practical.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ryan

A few questions before going into an explanation of what you mentioned in your last Post:

1) You mention that every so often “1 in 30 invoices or so” it uses an “old invoice number” even though the “correct next invoice number” is displayed in “your settings”

The Old Invoice Number used, is this a random number from a previous invoice or is it always a certain number or just one number out? Is there a pattern is what we are trying to ascertain.

2) Are you logging into SimplyPats via more than one USER Account on the PC?

3) Are you using the .ini Switch Utility to load up different Company Details when you run SimplyPats?

If you can answer the above it would be great.

ryanfacer wrote:
Hi Carl,

I was not aware that I had to close the program between every invoice. This could explain what is going on, some days I will invoice a few customers in a single day.

In all honesty it does seem a bit funny having to close the program and then open it again in order to increase the invoice number. Are you able to change this to just increase after every invoice? Seems more practical.

Thanks

I think you may have miss understood what I was trying to explain in my original reply, you do not need to close the program down each time to increment the Invoice Number. SimplyPats gives you the option to increment the Invoice Number via the Message Box that appears after you create each invoice.

What can be an issue however is the “Next Invoice Number” may not be written to a configuration file if for instance SimplyPats crashes or you force a PC shutdown prior to exiting SimplyPats or the system re-boots without SimplyPats being closed properly (Windows Updates… Spring to mind).

A lot of settings are saved/written to configuration files when you exit SimplyPats, until that time these settings are simply stored in memory, “If the Plug is Pulled” so to speak the information held in memory never has a chance to be saved to a configuration file, therefore when you open SimplyPats after such instances there is a possibility that it may be looking at out dated configuration settings as they may not have been saved from the last session.

While you could argue that changes should be saved in an instance where changes are made, this is not always possible due to technical reasons or current design constraints. Saying that, we will certainly look to see if these sorts of issues can be minimised going forward.

Regards Carl