SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:58 am 

I would like to thank Carl and the team for their support. I have the Aust/Nz Alpha Pat and a Toshiba Laptop with Simply Pats 5.2.7. I had bought 6 different USB to Serial cables and still could not download from the Pat tester to the laptop. I tried every work around that I could think of and those that Carl threw at me. I would get a download in the range of 1 in 20. I had to down load to an old desktop and transfer the file was the only way I could operate. In Australia every cable by different manufactures had the Prolific Chipset in it and would not work for me. In the finish Carl sent me a cable with the FTDI chipset, and it worked straight away and at nearly every speed.
Many thanks for your assistance and very prompt replys. Thanks Carl.

Colin Debney
Townsville, Australia.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Hi Colin

Thank you for your post regarding the level of Customer Service/Support offered by SimplyPats Support.

Thank you for also pointing out, that although I tend to deal with most of the communication and emails, we are in fact a team, both Ron (Support/Accounts) and Richard (Head Developer) work very hard assisting with support issues.

USB to Serial converters can be major headache when trying to solve download issues. We have spent quite a lot of time and effort testing various USB to Serial Converters with various PAT Testers from all manufacturers, and found one that works very well across the board.

The one we use and recommend, especially for Vista users contains a chipset manufactured by FDTI. As far as I know, there are various versions of both the FDTI and Prolific chipset, it really can be a bit hit-and-miss.

Installing the correct Drivers is critical to obtaining the best compatibility, the USB to Serial Converters we provide for Downloading from your PAT tester come with both XP and Vista drivers on CD.

It is good to know that the level of support we offer to our SimplyPats users in Australia and New Zealand hasn’t gone unnoticed, it is sometimes difficult given the time difference, however we do try our best, even if it means late night phone calls or response to emails.

You may want to update your SimplyPats Software to V5.2.9, released last week. This is available from the main SimplyPats web site www.simplypats.co.uk

Regards Carl