SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:44 am 

With the addition of option to download custom fields from pat tests, would it be possible to have a report that gives a bar code for each of the repair codes for easy scanning?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi jon,

Thanks for your post. The Simple answer is yes. When writing some PAT software for a large national pat testing company I investigated every way I could think of to speed up the PAT testing process.

One of the ways I looked at was to have laminated sheets of barcodes for the test codes used by the particular PAT test machine and even common appliance descriptions.

I can certainly produce custom reports that will print the barcode next to the charge and /or repair codes from their respective maintenance screens within SimplyPats.

The only fly in the ointment is depending on what PAT test machine you are using, the ability to scan into all the notes or comments fields is sometimes restricted. For example on some PAT machines the scanner will only activate in the Appliance description field, however not in the Notes field.

What PAT tester are you using? I can (or I can ask lorna ;)) to check what fields on the PAT tester are activated with the bar code scanner.

As a tip, and again this is dependant on what PAT tester you are using, there are some better barcode scanners that you can use with your PAT tester which speed up the scanning process. Most PAT tester manufacturer's seem to rebadge a close proximity CCD scanner, there are some barcode scanners available designed for EPOS (Electronic Point Of Sale) which allow scanning a barcode at a greater distance, this can save a few seconds, particularly if you are crawling under desks trying to scan an existing label, or appliance serial number.

Barcode Scanners don't seem to come cheap, so if you are testing in house on a small number of appliances it may not be worth it. However if you are a pat testing as a contractor and doing many tests, it may be a worth while investment.

You can see where I followed the barcode process through on this link on our forum:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=187

Please let us know what PAT tester you are using and I will check what fields are available and can then make some custom reports for your charge repair codes as appropriate.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:10 pm 

Hi Richard,

Many thanks

Its a seaward Europa plus and i already have a barcode scanner that works with the machine. It will scan into all the fields at the end of the test and store the results.

I already use it for appliance ID, model, Description was just me being very lazy to add the repair to it also.

hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon,

No probs, I (or Carl) will make up some custom reports for the charge codes and repair codes and upload them next week. It shouldn't take us long to do.

I will include the / separator as well on each sheet, in case you are adding repairs after the charges.

Incidentally in 6.0.6. I have added an additonal 8 repair codes as a user requested some extra ones. (Now you can set up codes A through to Z and 1 through to 9)

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:02 am 

That brilliant, many thanks indeed.

once again your service never ceases to amaze

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your comments regarding the level of our service.

I have created a custom report for the Test Prices with the Barcode (in Code 3 of 9 format) to the left of the charge code. I've tried to space the lines out as much as possible to make it easier to select the barcode you wish to read.

I was going to do the Repair Prices with barcode, however I think most Barcode scanners are programmed to send a return after they read a barcode, this may make the cursor jump on your PAT tester to the next notes line down after scanning a Test Price, this would make adding both Test Price and Repairs a bit problematic. I haven't got a barcode scanner here so I can't check that they read correctly however I will ask Lorna to give it a test on Monday to see what happens. All being well I'll ask Carl to upload it to the Utilities, Downloads and Custom Reports section of the forum:

viewforum.php?f=50

Attachment:
File comment: PAT Test Prices with Barcodes
PAT Test Prices With Barcode.jpg
PAT Test Prices With Barcode.jpg [ 42.65 KiB | Viewed 2323 times ]

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:02 pm 

Thats perfect, many thanks indeed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Your welcome Jon,

Hopefully after some testing on Monday we can upload it.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon,

The PAT Test Codes custom report is now available to download from the Custom Reports section of the forum

viewforum.php?f=50

Please let me know if it works as intended or needs any further modification.

Regards, Richard.