SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 pm 

Thanks for the work around today Carl.
I use SP to print my labels.
When I re-visit a client I invariably have a sheet of partially printed labels.
Whilst we're not talking huge sums of money it is wasting labels.
Ideally I would like to complete a sheet so I could use them for new appliances.
I would need to be able to specify a starting ID number as the last appliance +1 might be used for another client.
A bonus if I could choose not to print dates so they could be used for different jobs (realise I'd have to hand write them in).

For now I'll get SP to auto create a number of appliance IDs' in a new *.PAT file then import the clients *.PAT file into it.
Can you add AOK's Barcode labels? I currently print on these using the plug top labels 51mm x 25mm without "initials".
The end result is ok but the barcode and number is squashed to the left. As the barcode labels don't have an initial section this space can be used for a bigger barcode. Bigger barcodes scan easier and survive damage better.

Keep up the good work

Post subject: Re: Label Printing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rich,

Yes this sounds like a good idea, its a irritating to waste any lables on a sheet. When I get 5 minutes I will look at what can be done to ensure a full sheet is made up. You may have to remind me on this idea though as it may have to go into the next upgrade 6.0.6 as we are so close to getting 6.0.5 out.

Regarding the barcode labels, yes this shouldnt be a problem, we can do a template for them. Just need to make sure we have the right ones here in the office to test.

If you get a chance could you email simplypats support with a link to the ones you are using? Carl or I can then create the report templates for you.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:00 am 

sorry, me again.

Was this ever added to print out auto numbers to complete a page to avoid wasting labels?

Also as an aside would it also be possible to add a prefix to the auto numbers so they also continue on from the sequence i have?

sorry to keep asking for stuff

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon

Quote:
Was this ever added to print out auto numbers to complete a page to avoid wasting labels?

Not as yet, I did do some research on finding a fix for this, but unfortunately had to progress some other things before comming up with a solution. It is something that we would like to add. As soon as I get a chance i will take another look to see if it is possible. It seems a shame to waste labels on a sheet.

Quote:
would it also be possible to add a prefix to the auto numbers so they also continue on from the sequence i have?

I take it you mean that SimplyPats will remember the last label number printed so that the next time you print labels it continues from the last number? If so I think this is a sensible addition and I will make sure it is added to the next release.

Quote:
sorry to keep asking for stuff

No problems, please continue to ask for stuff. SimplyPats over the last 13 years has always been driven by requests from users. After all you are using it in the field and anything that can be added to make life easier is a good idea. We are sometimes prioritising different additions or bug fixes so please nag if you don't see any progress.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 pm 

Hi Richard,

Many thanks.

I hadnt thought of continuing the sequence, that would be perfect, but I also have a couple of clients where their equipment has an asset id with the following format PHX1001, at the moment all we can have for the auto numbers is numerics no alpha characters.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon,

Ah ok I understand, I will take a look at the prefix characters when I look at remembering the last label number printed. I have stuck this on our whiteboard to remind me!

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon

I have added a field to add an alpha prefix to your PAT Labels. See below:

Adding Prefix to Appliance Id's on Labels Printed In SimplyPats

Attachment:
File comment: Print PAT Labels in SimplyPats, adding a Prefix to the Appliance Id
Prefix In Labels.jpg
Prefix In Labels.jpg [ 20.95 KiB | Viewed 3629 times ]

There are some issues when extending the length of the Appliance id's that appear on the PAT testing labels. Obviously most plug top labels are fairly small and there isn't sufficient space to have a very long appliance id.

You can have PHX1001 for example, however you cannot have PHX001001 as there is insufficient space on the label.

I need to do some more testing on the additions I have made.

Remembering the Last Label Printed In SimplyPats

I have also got SimplyPats to remember the last label number that it had printed so that when you print another batch it sets the start number to the next one after the last lot printed.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Labels for the Austerity Conscious SimplyPats User :wink:

As austerity seems to be the hot topic at the moment, I have finally got around to looking at how you can print labels on a partly used sheet of PAT testing labels.

Obviously this only applies to PAT labels provided on A4 sheets.

I have added a skip quantity to the Labels screen. This will allow you not to print the first x number of labels on a sheet, allowing you to fully use any half printed sheets.

This feature will be added to SimplyPats 6.0.9 however if anyone would like a beta version to test then please contact our support.

I will post some pictures of the new controls in the next day or so.

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm 

that looks great :)

silly and demanding question, sorry :( but would it be possible where the half filled page of labels taken from a PAT file is then filled but an auto sequence to fill the rest of the sheet?

so for example, my file that produce the labels from fills in 25 of the label on a sheet all in sequence, eg, PHX1066, PHX1068, PHX1070, PHX1071, with the last label from the file being PHX1072, the program then sees that there are 24 unprinted labels on the last sheet and it then auto populates them PHX1073, PHX1074, PHX1075.....

i know this may be taking the proverbial.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon

Im not entirely sure if I understand correctly, and I have only protyped generating missing labels at the start of a sheet. I need to add the field on the Labels screen for you to specify how many labels are to be skipped prior to printing.

If you have a half printed sheet you should be able to print the rest of the sheet continuing the same numbers from where you left off.

I will try and finish off the coding and upload a beta so it can be tested.

Whilst SimplyPats will now remember your last label number, if you are using duplicate numeric values for different sites or customers e.g. PHX1073 with one site / customer and ABC1073 with a different site or customer SimplyPats wont keep track of the last number used on each site/customer.

I guess you could get the last number from a previous data file, however it would be interesting to get the computer to work out the biggest (last) number particularly with appliance id's of letters and characters. Computers can sort and see numbers but not where they have characters in as well...

Hope some of this makes sense! I'll progress what Ive done so far and try and improve it with another itteration if it doesnt achieve what you want.

Regards Richard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:55 pm 

Hi Richard,

Sorry, what i meant was, instead of running the label sheets through the printer twice, once for the printed labels from the simplypats file, then once for the printing of the extra labels, could it be done in one run.

it is very unusual that i do not need more labels at a site than i have printed, through new items on site etc.

So simplypats looks at the labels i am printing from last years file, sees that my last number in the run is phx1072 wich is printed on label 25 on the sheet and then sees that there are 24 labels empty on the sheet. Then using the auto numbers it populates these empty labels using using phx1073 as the next label then fills the rest of the sheet. all in one action so that label sheets dont need to be fed through twice.

I hope this makes more sense

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon,

Yep understand what you are trying to acheive now.

The mechanics so far will allow someone who has a half used sheet of labels to make use of the blank labels at the end of that half used sheet.

Once I have got this working I will have a look at reprinting labels from a file, plus the extras as you have explained. The only issue I can see with this is the difficulty of getting the computer to understand the type of numbers involved.

The computer cannot easily understand phx1072 as part of a number sequence, as a number it sees it's value as zero (without some extra education!)

However I will investigate further.

Regards Richard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Omit the Retest Date on PAT Labels

Following a user request today we have added the ability to omit the Retest Date on labels.

On the Print Labels screen if you set a retest period of zero then the labels printed will not contain a Retest Date. This will help you use up old label stock whilst conforming to the advice in the IET Code Of Practive 4th Edition.

This additon will be in the update (6.0.9) of SimplyPats 6, however if you would like a beta copy then please let us know.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=763

In addition to this feature we have created some label templates for the new labels designed without the retest date box included.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=217

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:03 am 

Hi Richard,

Not sure how many testers Downunder (Australia and New Zealand) use SP to print out their labels. I would guess not many. A large proportion would use a dedicated printer coupled with their test machine or hand write their labels.

"Clause 2.4.2 Compliant Equipment, Sub Clause 2.4.2.1, part (b)" of the Australian/New Zealand Standard 3760-2010 has a requirement that the retest date has to be shown on the tag. This was a requirement that had to be implemented 12 months after the release of the current version of the Standard. The current version was released sometime late 2010 (Sept) which means that it is a current requirement to do so now. Refer to your copy.

As I understand your latest posting, for those testers Downunder who do use SP for printing their tags, they will still be able to comply with the Standard by not setting a "zero" retest date.

Cheers

Glenn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Glenn, many thanks for your post.

Quote:
Not sure how many testers Downunder (Australia and New Zealand) use SP to print out their labels. I would guess not many. A large proportion would use a dedicated printer coupled with their test machine or hand write their labels.

Yes, think you are right, we have, and will (on request), produce label templates for all users but dedicated print solutions seem much more popular in Australia and New Zealand.

Quote:
"Clause 2.4.2 Compliant Equipment, Sub Clause 2.4.2.1, part (b)" of the Australian/New Zealand Standard 3760-2010 has a requirement that the retest date has to be shown on the tag.

We here in the UK have just had an update to our IET code of practice (November 2012) where the Retest Date shouldn't be shown on labels. Without getting into the politics, there is a lot of debate as to the pro's and con's of this move here. Unfortunately unlike yourselves we don't have a standard. The thrust of our recent government reviews and the subsequent code of practice is for the duty holder to conduct risk assessments on their appliances and decide on the periodicity of testing. The retest date not to be shown on the tag is to (I beleive) refer the enquirer back to the test records.

Quote:
As I understand your latest posting, for those testers Downunder who do use SP for printing their tags, they will still be able to comply with the Standard by not setting a "zero" retest date.

Yes absolutely. You can set a retest period in which case the retest date will be shown, or set a retest period of zero which will supress the retest date.

In the end whatever practice changes happen in Australia and New Zealand or here in the UK, I hope we can keep the software compliant.

Regards, Richard.

Last edited by richard on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edited for spelling mistakes 22nd March 2013