SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

We have created a free interim visual PAT testing report for SimplyPats V.6 users (PAT testing template).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated so we can make any changes that may be needed

Regards, Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:35 pm 

Hi Lorna

The layout looks great the only concern I would have is that under The IEE C of P 3rd Edition (page 34)it shows intervals of visual inspections ranging from Weekly to 1 month, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months, 12 months, and 24 months.
But really for this exercise i would suggest that we accommodate for 1, 3, 4, and 6 months as generally we would carry out new PAT testes after that period and therefore would have a new form to complete. So we would new a box to complete, 12 in total to last between yearly testing/inspections.
Also the detail of the date does not have to be specific, January, February, March etc. with a signature box under or long side, it something we did in the laboratory when i work for CCC to show that the inspection had been carried out and the competent person therefore signed to say all okay.

Not too sure where we stand on the weekly thing though, can anybody else have some input/ideas??

Hope this is of some help?

Also while you are on this, I mentioned to Carl about having a complete package to give to the client when submitting the results, and Certificate etc. which might also include, a repair register (page 119) Faulty Equipment register (page 120), to add to the printing sequence as forms.

Many thanks
Steve :D

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Record of Interim Visual PAT Testing (PAT testing template)

I’ve altered this report so it can be used to record 12 monthly visual tests.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachment:
visual-inspection-report.jpg
visual-inspection-report.jpg [ 61.17 KiB | Viewed 15453 times ]

Regards, Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 pm 

Hi Lorna

That's looks the dogs, great stuff. Is there any chance that anybody else interested in this conception of the visual report have their penny’s worth and see if this fulfils the requirements?

Just one thought if and when is goes live, is there the option of being able to print the appliances / assets per location, then this might be good as then the sheets could be either copied or distributed to the relivant section which every the client might choose, i.e office 1, kitchen, main building etc.

Also we spoke about the other reports to support this, which would enable us to provide the client the complete package.

Again many thanks for your support

Steve
:D :wink: :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Steve I’m glad you like it.

Does anybody else have any comments?

I will look at the Repairs and Faulty Equipment Registers. :)

Regards, Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 am 

Hi Lorna

Just had a quike look at your latest visual report it has a line that says (test date) should it not say (visual inspection date) Also do you think it needs a header that says visual inspection report?
Otherwise it looks very smart, Brett Lomas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Brett, I’ve made the amendments.

Regarding printing by location:

The Print Results menu gives you the option to filter by Site and Location and you can print out a separate form for each location. You will have to manually fill in the Site and Location fields. If we can find another way to do this I will let you know.

Regards, Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:59 pm 

Hi Lorna & Brett.

Just a thought, because it's a Visual Inspection Record, do we need the Pat tester model and serial number, also because the engineer is not on site for these inspections so do really need the engineer box. We could have supervisor or competent person's name (open box) of that establishment in-lieu of the Engineer?

Any comments Brett?

Steve

Ps Looks great Lorna, nice one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:44 am 

Hi Folks,

If you are going to accommodate your Australian/ New Zealand users of SP then the term "Engineer" is irrelevant. Suggested change is to "Inspected by" where the inspection has to be by a person deemed to be "competent" to perform the inspection. However, Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZ 3760-2003 In service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment makes no provision for visual inspections although some clients specify that is all they want without realising what is required and therefor abrogating their obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Acts and associated Regulations to provide a safe place of work for their employees.

The need for specifying the type of Pat tester and or serial number seems irrelevant on the report even though some PAT testers (Competent Persons) do use an integrated tester/label printer where a printed label is produced, even for visual inspections, instead of producing a hand written tag.

In relation to the report, it has the ability of recording inspections for twelve months. Who will hold the report until the next inspection? If it is the client, as is the requirement in Aust/NZ, will the client be able to find and or produce the report at the time of the next inspection by the competent person? Will it be maintained in a "good order" for on-going use for the 12 month period? The other aspect of producing this style of report is it encourages the client to utilise their own "competent person' without some "formal training" with the consequence of reducing the income of the more "qualified" external competent person.

Personally I would produce a report similiar to that proposed by Admin in another Forum location at the time of each inspection for the client. Storage is still the responsibility of the client although a backup copy of each inspection is electronically maintained by the "official" competent person and can be provided/produced if and when required.

Regards
Glenfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:22 pm 

Hi Glenn
The original concept of having this type of form was to give the client some sort of record that he/she were carrying out ‘visual’ inspections between the combined testing & inspections, which is in the guidance of The IEE Code of Practice for suggested inspection regimes. This is probably completely different to your guide lines / procedures over in Australian/New Zealand and perhaps this need to be addresses in another type of record sheet that conforms to your regulations any thoughts Glenn or could this proposed draft form be adapted?
(Glenn I sent a copy the other day for your info showing these recommendations of test periods from The IEE C of P ‘UK’)
The way that I understand is that a competent person has to be nominated in the establishment whether it’s somebody on the shop floor, or the manger/owner. Perhaps we need to include some sort of guidelines to the client on basic visual observation, (which is something that Brett touched on) i.e. is the item suitable for the environment in which it is being used, function switching working, flex in good order, really basic stuff which the user should be aware of.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52 am 

Hi Steve,

Steve wrote:

Quote:
The original concept of having this type of form was to give the client some sort of record that he/she were carrying out ‘visual’ inspections between the combined testing & inspections, which is in the guidance of The IEE Code of Practice for suggested inspection regimes.

I don't disagree with the proposal of the above on the basis that you are providing that service. I take it that in the UK the client is permitted to carry out visual inspections by their "competent person" in between formal testing by you the "external competent person".
Providing it was economical for you ie not a small number of items to be examined, I would encourage the client to also allow an "external" to do the visuals In doing so it would stop any "pressure" by the client on their competent person to pass an item when it may be failed by you under a normal situation.

Steve also wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps we need to include some sort of guidelines to the client on basic visual observation, (which is something that Brett touched on) i.e. is the item suitable for the environment in which it is being used, function switching working, flex in good order, really basic stuff which the user should be aware of.

This should be automatically part of the Risk Assessment and "Fit for Service" assessment of the equipment by the client when chosing the piece of equipment for the job on which it will be used.

Glenfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:36 pm 

Hi Glenn

Totally agree with what you say about risk assessment etc. from the client ensuring that the correct equipment is chosen for the environment, but was used as an example in the Code of Practice. Also as you probably know from our civil engineering back grounds what you come across in the field, so really it’s an observation.

My back ground is also Health & Safety (NEBOSH). I carried out PAT testing for a local garage the other day, and came across a trip hazard where a plastic conduit carry a single insulated 6mm csa cable (L, N, & cpc) to a car lift. Not only was this a trip hazard the conduit was fractured through continuous foot traffic which exposed the cables within. I mentioned to the client this even though the item was not tested as it was hard wired highlighting both the trip hazard and the fact that the cables were exposed. I then had a call a week or so on to see if i could sort out both the trip hazard replacing with a new conduit underground. I also replace a double socket which was also broken during the site visit observation which formed part of the visual inspection. I was able to offer this service through my health and safety background / training, and being a qualified electrician.
Also regard to the visual inspection item, if the client wishes for us/me to carry out a visual inspection monthly, i/we I am sure would be more than happy to oblige.

Nice to hear from you again Glenn
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:41 pm 

Hi steve
Just to let you know I need the Pat tester model and serial number on the visual form because I do a custom setting on my tester for visual only because I can be doing inspect and testing and visual only on the same premises.

When we carry out a site survey prior to testing I ask the client if he/she is aware of all the relevant regs for example (puwer) health and safety at work ect because On many occasions the reason for the request to carry out pat testing is because when their insurance is up for renewal most insurance companies are now asking if the electrical system and electrical appliances are tested for electrical safety. So it then comes to light that some businesses are not fully conversant with their obligations in this area so we try to advice, and also ask them to look at the HSE WEB SITE. We also offer a service to carry out the visual inspection when due, but we point out that if they carry out the visuals themselves when due it must be a competent person especially if proof is needed in the event of a accident or fire. WE TRY OUR BEST TO EDUCATE ALL OF OUR CLIENTS SOME LISTEN SOME DO NOT, IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO COMPLY WE WALK AWAY.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 pm 

Hi Brett

The reason/thinking behind not to include the serial number / tester on the form was because if the competent person say were to complete the form between testing and inspection periods then these option would be irrelevant and not applicable. But it would be easier to include rather than leave out as the box could easily be completed as say n/a or the competent person visual only?

Going on to the Health and Safety side I am fully aware of this being NEBOSH qualified and perhaps like you said, we try to educate our clients, and put some onus/responsibility on to them, and in turn would they just hand it down to the people below, eventually the whole thing being drowned and watered down to question is the competent person really competent?

You mentioned PUWER (Provision OF Work Equipment Regulations) is states that In general terms, the regulations require that equipment provided for use at work “Used only by people who have received adequate information, instruction and training” This is only one snippet from this regulation, but really implies that the person must be competent, therefore I would presume that they must be capable of completing a visual inspection!

However we were just trying to bridge the gap to the C of P and what is actually done, with the thought of satisfying this requirement, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Brett do you know if there is a generic package out there that illustrates the requirements of the competent person, complete with H&S guidance etc. This could be easily printed off, and then included within the initial starter package. I know there is an awful lot of info out there, on this site, in this book, but is there something that could be easily accessed, downloaded so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet? Again would like your thoughts on this, also what you think of this visual form concept, is it a no brainer?

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:13 am 

Hi Steve
Very difficult to say what competent person stands for? If a business puts forward a competent person who decides he/she is competent? And I probably, as a qualified person would be more difficult to convince who a competent person should be. I would imagine the best way forward would be to have a outside company to take on this role provided all the relevant qualifications and public liability was in place.