SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 am 

Hi,

I'm relatively new to this software but have been a PAT inspector for many years. At TDC (Aberdeen) Ltd we have our own Megga PAT4 tester and we have no issues using this tester with the SimplyPats software, dumps work absolutely fine via a 9 pin serial cable using an expansion COM card on my PC. However, on larger jobs we also hire in SeaWard Supernova's and Supernova Plus units. It is these units I am having problems with, we have purchased from SimplyPats the FTDI Chipset USB to Serial lead but I am getting no data transfer between the units and my PC. This is what I have tried:

1. Installed FTDI Chipset Serial to USB drivers.
2. Plug in lead and configure Device Manager to Seaward settings (Comport = 8, 9600 baud, Data bits = 8, Parity = none, Stop bits = 2, Flow control = Xon/Xoff).
3. In SimplyPats, select Seaward Supernova with comport 8 and tick USB to Serial. Click Download.
4. Set Supernova to "Download Results", set to PC, 9600 & SSS and search. Units performs search and starts sending, but nothing is transmitted and TX LED does not flash or indicate data transmission.

I'm I missing something or doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi TDC

It sounds like you going through the correct steps, however there is no need to set the port properties under control panel (in your step 2) as this is should be done automatically by the software.

Most importantly what download cable are you using to connect in line with the USB to Serial converter? The Megger PAT4 and seaward Supernova use different download cables which are wired differently.

Depending on the operating system the FTDI drivers can sometimes not fully install although this is something we can check with you.

It may be easiest if you can give us a call on our support line so that we can go through the settings. We can also dial in if neccessary with remote access.

If you can't get through imediately on our support line, please leave a message and we will ring you back.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:27 pm 

Many thanks for your reply Richard but I have managed to get a successful dump from the tester to my PC. I knew my 9 pin serial cable was good as it worked fine with the Megger PAT4, so I sent our IT department to the local Maplin store and purchased a M2M gender changer as the Megger unit has a Male connector (thus a female lead) but the Seaward unit had a female connector.

With the gender changer on the end of the serial cable and changing the port back to 2 and un-tick USB to Serial option, I managed a successful data transfer from the Seaward into your software (372 items) with no issues and all data correct.

My IT department has since informed me there has been issues with my PC in the past with USB data connections, so it appears the problem may of been with the motherboard just not liking the USB to Serial cable plus it is XP and we all know how that can be fickle.

Anyway, problem solved and now back to work getting over 750 results processed and sent to our client.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi TDC

Thanks for leaving the feedback, glad you have it sorted and can now download from the Megger PAT4 and the Seaward Supernova.

Regards Richard.