SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Walk through guide
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 am 

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot.....

Is there a simple "walk through" guide to using SimplyPats?

Things like how to create a new customer would be nice.

Or is the info already there somewhere?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Walk through guide
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Hello

The HELP menu is our user manual. There is a section about getting started before you do your PAT testing.

We also have a section of this forum dedicated to walkthroughs called FAQ/User Guides: http://www.simplypats.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=57

Any questions can be posted to this forum and please feel free to post as many time as you link so we can help you get started. The forum is normally monitored out of hours so we can get back to you as quickly as possible.

You are also welcome to call the office and we can chat through what it is you are trying to achieve and hopefully explain how you would go about doing this in SimplyPats.

Hope this helps,

Lorna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 pm 

Thanks.

Just had a read through the help pages. It seems that you can not create a customer record until you have their test results. Is that right or is there a way of creating customers before hand?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mattltm

Normally you can enter the customer details once you have downloaded your test results. However if you are using the Manual Entry version of SimplyPats then as soon as you have created your first appliance you can enter the customer details.

To create an appliance use the Manual Entry option from the File Menu.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Can I add my Customer(s) Details to SimplyPats before I start downloading or entering Test Data?

I have been asked this question on a few occasions while dealing with support calls and normally explain and recommend the following.

SimplyPats stores the Customer Contact information along with each individual PAT Data File, therefore you will need to enter this information each time you download from your PAT or start a new Manual Entry File. Fortunately the details for each customer need only be entered once as we have included an “Import Customer Contact Information” option on the Customer Details screen.

If you are starting a new PAT Data file for an existing customer by either downloading from your PAT Tester or Manually Entering the PAT Test Data using the Manual Entry screen, you can click the “Import Address” button on the “Customer Details Screen” to copy the details in from an existing data file.

Once you click the “Import Address” button, SimplyPats will ask you to select an existing PAT Data file to import the Customer Address from.

Back to the original question of “Can I add my Customer(s) Details to SimplyPats before I start downloading or entering Test Data?”

Yes you can, by using the Manual Entry feature in SimplyPats (File > Manual Entry) you can create a PAT Data File to which you can enter the customer details, you just need to add one appliance to the data file before you save it. On the Manual Entry screen simply click “Add” to add one appliance to the data file and then close the Manual Entry screen.

You should now have a PAT Data file with one appliance in it, this will now allow you to add the Customer Details by choosing Customers > Customer Details from the File Menu or by clicking in the Customer Details section on the main screen (if it is set to viewable – see Settings > System Settings > Main Screen Panels tab if running SimplyPats Version 7).

Finally, save the file and repeat the process for each of your customers. I normally suggest naming the file something on the lines of “Address Company Name” (obviously replace Company Name with the name of your customer). You may want to create a special folder outside of your SimplyPats Data folder called “Addresses” and save the data files there, this way SimplyPats will not analyse or read these files when you are using global features such as Find Appliance, Review Customers or Retest Calendar for example.

After you have completed this process for all of your customers, you will have the ability to import the details from each file as needed.

It may seem complicated at first, but once you understand the way in which SimplyPats manages its Data and the options it gives you because of the way it manages its data, it really is easy.

Hope this helps, if you get stuck or would like more information with regards to the way SimplyPats manages its data files, please give us a call and we can go through it with you.

Carl