SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Importing inventory list
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:07 pm 

I have an inventory list in Excel format of all the equipment which needs to be PAT tested. Most importantly it includes a column with a unique ident number. I would like to enter (just) this number to identify the equipment for each test and then marry up all the other columns of relevant item description, product type, serial number, etc. columns once I have loaded the test data into SimplyPats.
Can this be done? A step by step guide would be much appreciated for this old timer!
PerryM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi PerryM

There is no inbuilt Excel or CSV import facility in SimplyPats (although in the past I have done some development in providing one, it can get a bit complex).

However over the years we have written many routines to convert data from various different PAT testing programs databases and excel spreadsheets so I think it shouldn't be too hard.

The easisest way is for me to have a look at the spreadsheet and I can see if I can convert for you. If this is not just a one off, I can write a small program for you to repeat the conversion process.

I will PM you my home email address as I may get a chance to have a look at it before Monday when we are back in the office. If you could, please also email it to our usual support email address, see link below:

http://www.simplypats.co.uk/contact.html

If possible could you ensure it is an xls sheet (office 95 up to 2003) and not an xlsx (office 2007 onwards) sheet as I run an older copy of Excel at home.

(You can save as an xls if you are running Office 2007 or above by selecting Save As Type when using the Save As option)

Once I have had a look at you sheet Ill post back.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Perry

I have received your spreadsheet and converting it to a SimplyPats data file will be relatively straight forward, I should be able to do it tomorow.

I have a couple of questions regarding the data so you may want to give our support number a call so I can clear these up before writing a conversion routine.

The main question is that you have a Serial Number and an Item Id and I wanted to be clear as to where each of these fields would be put into SimplyPats.

I am guessing:

Serial Number in your sheet into Appliance Serial Number in SimplyPats
ItemId in your sheet into Appliance Id in SimplyPats

You also have some fields, Category and Sub Category which you may want stored?

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Perry

I have had a few minutes to write the conversion routine with the fields in your Inventory list assigned to the fields in SimplyPats as we discussed on the phone.

We have emailed the converted file back to you.

If the mapping is not quite correct then please let me know and I'll have another attempt.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 pm 

Following on from Perry's request and having spoken to support would it be possible to add a CSV import function into SPS so that sub contractors etc can email their results in CSV format.

I understand that this might cause issues with mapping fields but if I could format the data into a SPS friendly format, is there a way to simply import the file?

Thanks for all your great ongoing support!

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Alex

Thanks for your kind comments.

It will take us some time to sort out a generic .CSV import function for SimplyPats but we will be happy to provide you with a conversion utility that is specific to your needs.

Please email us an example of the .CSV file layout that you use and we will create the utility.

Regards,
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Perry and Alex

Just as an update to this thread, you may want to look at the following post which outlines a new CSV (spreadsheet) import utility which has been added to SimplyPats 7.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=815

This might answer both of your requests.

Regards, Richard