SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: me being silly, I think
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:49 pm 

When printing the various version 2 reports they have all seemed to be printing from the highest app id to the smallest.

the tests were over 2 days, but should this make a difference, is there a way to change the order from low to high.

They ids are 3 figures then 4 digits e.g phx1001

also is there a way to group by location then have the appliances low to high when using for example detailed pass and fails? rather than running separate reports using the location slection?

it may be me missing something obvious as it has been a long week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi jon

Don't think it's your fault when the sorting doesnt go quite right.

When your Apliance Id's use a combination of letters and numbers, the computer often has difficulty sorting them, as it tries to sort alphabetically. (it cannot regonise the whole id as a number)

Quote:
The ids are 3 figures then 4 digits e.g phx1001

Have you tried some of the sort options in the sort by drop down? There is one called Appliance Id Strict which may help.

It would be an idea if you could email us your SimplyPats data file so we can see what can be done to imporve the sort order.

As a tip though, if you can avoid using letters and numbers in appliance id's and preferably only use numbers you will get a better sort.

Quote:
also is there a way to group by location then have the appliances low to high when using for example detailed pass and fails? rather than running separate reports using the location slection?

There is a location grouped passes and fails report i think (there are so many reports I'll have to check them) and the appliances within that group should sort numerically, lowest to highest, however again this sorting will struggle when up against letters and numbers in an appliance id.

It isnt uncommon for people to use letters and number in appliance id's and if they always follow the same format e.g. AAANNNN, I could write something in the printing routines that strips out the A's (Alpha characters) and sorts on the N's Numeric characters, whilst printing the full AlphaNumeric appliance id.

This is a reasonable straightoforward to do, however may not deal with all the different ways you can have alpha numeric appliance id's.

If you can, please let us have an example data file that we can have a look at and we will see if we can imporve the sort order.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:40 pm 

Hi Richard,

File sent as requested.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi jon,

Received your example file at work and have just had a chance to load it up and take a look.

You may want to try setting the Sort Order on the Print Results screen to Appliance Id (Letters).

Attachment:
File comment: Sorting PAT Test Report With Alpha Numeric Appliance Ids
PAT Test Reports Sort Order.jpg
PAT Test Reports Sort Order.jpg [ 7.09 KiB | Viewed 3725 times ]

This seems to give much better results when using Appliance Id's with a combination of letters and numbers.

When the Sort Order is set at it's default Appliance Id (Numbers) the results are very poorly sorted.

I will check if SimplyPats remembers the Sort Order otherwise this would be a pain to keep setting between printing different reports.

I have only done a quick check, however if it is not absolutely correctly sorted, there is a way of me making an additional option to force a correct sort. This will only work where a standard combination of letters and numbers have been used e.g. AAANNNN (which is the case with your file).

Please let me know if changing the Sort Order to Appliance Id (Letters) doesn't entirely solve the problem for you.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:01 pm 

Many thanks, that does work, thought it was me being silly.

Can i check, do the locations within a site sort alphabetically?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi jon

Yes it should do, however that might be dependent on the report.

I tried the V2 Passes and Fails Report, sorted by Appliance Id (Letters) on the example file you sent me on Sunday.

The Sites and Locations are in Alphabetical Order and the Apliance id's are sorted under neath each grouped Site and Location in order.

Which reports are you printing? I can check these are also correct.

There still maybe issues when trying to sort the Alpha and Numeric Appliance ids under certain conditions, you may find that it wants to order appliance id ending with 100 with appliance id ending with 10, although I can't see this happening on your file.

As I mentioned above there is a way of me making an additional option to force a correct sort numerical sort where a standard combination of letters and numbers have been used e.g. AAANNNN (which is the case with your file).

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 pm 

Hi Richard,

It works fine on all the reports i run.

I have just prefixed with 3/4 alpha characters through convention, looking at it i can easily just use figures due to the location sorting etc.

Many thanks for all your help yet again.

eventually i will get all of KCC using simply pats lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Just as an update to this thread.

We have added a new sort order 'Appliance Id (Converted Numeric)' which attempts to address the issue of the sort order of alpha numeric appliance ids e.g from above e.g phx1001

This addition will be in the free update to SimplyPats 7 users, SimplyPats 7.0.7 due for release later in 2015

Please see the topic below for more information.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1029