SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm 

I have saved over a manual pat file in error. For example the original file was called test.pat but have saved another file by the same name but I need the original one..think I am stuffed. Does anyone know if simplypats backs this up or anyway to restore the original file?
am hopeful
:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 am 

Hi
I am not to sure about this one, because you have over written the file, did you use the backup option within Simply PAT's :?:
If so then it would be very easy to restore the losted file. It is under Settings and the last option, that's assuming it was incorporated in Version 5.

There was a thread on this forum that disussed the need to backup your precious data, you never know when you will need it. In addition to the backup option within SP, I use a third party backup software program as well, which always runs in the background onto an external drive.

Sorry can't be of much more help :|

I am sure Carl or the other members of the SP team could advise.

Steve.

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi racerjo

I have duplicated your post in the SimplyPats Version 6 General Discussion and Support issues as this very much applies to all versions of SimplyPats.

Unfortunately once you have over written a file or edited the data within the file and then over written it, the original data will be lost.

Steve has kindly touched on the importance of backing up your data, which is of course very important, external Hard Drives and USB Memory sticks are ideal for this given their relatively cheap price these days.

Obviously backing up is one thing but it still doesn’t guarantee that that the original data wont be over written, many auto backup devices and software make a backup of any changed data files so you could argue that if you edited the file, saved it by over writing an existing file, the backup device or software would then write the edited file to the backup also over writing the original.

I would personally always recommend backing up manually using the good old Copy and Paste method, also always keep a historic backup i.e. Never over write the last backup.

A few pointers that may help…

Get into the habit of date stamping your files, use names like myfilename – 12-09-11 for instance, this works well for SimplyPats data files if used with the customer name as you can instantly see the name of the customer and the date the .pat file was generated. If you are going to edit the file at a later date, open the sale and choose File > Save As before making any changes but remember the change the date in the file name, this way you will still have the data in the original file loaded but if you edit and choose save, you will be writing to a new file.

As mentioned, make historic backups (this will depend on data and folder size). SimplyPats V5 and V6 Data files are very small compared to the memory available on modern Hard Drives or Memory Sticks so why not simply copy and paste the whole SimplyPats Data folder or even the whole SimplyPats install folder over to your backup device and add the current date to the end of the folder name.

Backing up the whole SimplyPats install folder will also backup your settings, dictionary, configuration settings etc, however please check that you are also backing up your data files (See WARNING Below)

WARNING – You can of course change the data folder path from within SimplyPats, if you do back up the SimplyPats install folder, just make sure that you are backing up the data as well. If you have changed the default data path, you will need to backup this as well.

By Default Simplypats will save your PAT Test Data files to the following folder

C > Program Files > SimplyPats 6 > Data

This may be slightly different depending on the actual install path, drive letters and operating system.

Email the data to yourself, I quite often attach files to an email and send it to myself, this way you can then create a new folder in your Inbox and copy all of the emails into it. If you are using web based email or web based exchange server, the email and data files will be stored in a remote location and off site, these can be accessed from any location, PC or modern smart phone, but more importantly the files are safely backed up.

Having so many backups can get confusing and there is a risk that you may over write current data with an old backup if you are not careful, we refer to this as a “back copy” Either way its better to back up the data rather than not back up the data.

If you have a clear plan of action together with a folder and file naming process that you can understand then everything should be ok, just hold of pressing the Yes Button when you are asked “Are you sure you want to overwrite this file” ;)

Regards Carl