SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

It is imperative that users understand the relevance of regularly backing up any important data stored on a computer as this can be lost at any time and for many different reasons.

It is unfortunate but we have seen the effects of data that has not been backed up become corrupt by reasons of power surges/cuts, faulty storage media, flash drives removed without being safely ejected etc.

However on a brighter note SimplyPats creates an automatic backup of each download for a selection of the supported testers. Although backups are not created of any downloads using the PATsPlus Utility. Please understand that this is not an alternative to users backing up their data and regular backups to external devices should be performed to maintain the safety of the data.

You can create a local backup of your SimplyPats data by selecting the "Backup Your Data" option from the “Settings Menu" which will bring up the screen shown below.

Attachment:
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg [ 11.63 KiB | Viewed 1183 times ]

This option will back up all the files in your data folder (The Source Folder) to a single zipped backup file in the Target Folder. (A zip file is a way of compressing several files into a smaller archive file).

Regards, Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm 

Hi Lorna
Just backed up my test data to a separate memory stick using the Simply PAT's software option as per your details. Easy and great.
This is belt and braces for me as i also use a third party back-up software 'Memeo' to an external hard drive which automatically backs-up data as i go, with many other brands out there.

One thing to mention that was said to me some years ago was to create another drive on your PC /laptop hard disc, for me i called it 'G Drive' but the letter or name does not make any difference. Then point all software date files to that drive, this in-turn keeps all your date at one point whether it being Simply PAT's. Word, Excel, mail, etc. this then keeping it away / separate from those program files. So if you have to do a factory restore you don't lose your data that would have been stored in say My Documents or some other hidden place in the darkness of the internal components of your PC. Then using my third party back-up software all i do is say back-up G: Drive. Easy!!
However if you use MS outlook be aware that that Outlook 2010 stores the user files in a different location

But i do agree it is important to back-up software data and spending a little time ensuring that you do so. it has saved me a time or too. Thank Lorna again for pointing this out.
Just one note does Simply PAT’s remind you that say it’s been say 30 days and you have not yet backed up?

Steve
:D

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk

Last edited by Steve. on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve

Thanks for the good advice.

There isn’t a reminder system in place to prompt SimplyPats users to run a backup but Richard is thinking of adding a To Do list for future versions which could include a prompt to backup.

Regards, Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm 

Hi Lorna

That seems a great idea with a gentle reminder, and then there is no excuse not to back-up

Steve
:D

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:41 am 

Ok, so admittedly I have had no training on SimplyPATS, but I have been doing backups etc, no problem.

Now I need to do a restore as I have temporarily had to put Simplypats onto another pc while mine gets repaired. - BUT, no restore button.
How does one go about restoring the data?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kadecnz

The Backup feature in SimplyPats creqtes a zip file containing your SimplyPats Data files (.pat files).

Restoring the data after a reinstall will need to be done manually. Unzip the backup and copy the data files over to your new SimplyPats Data Folder.

You can easily open the SimplyPats Data Folder from within SimplyPats. On the Settings Menu choose System Settings, select the General Tab and click the button to Open SimplyPats Data Folder, copy the contents from your unzipped Backup folder into this folder.

Regards Carl