SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Megger PAT4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:27 am 

It would be nice if I could upload to the Megger PAT4. Is this possible?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bloram and welcome to the forum.

Yes - uploading to the PAT4 is very possible and I have started work on this to include it in the next update 5-2-7 due in October. There are a few technical issues to resolve however it should be possible to select a range of tests from a file and then upload them to the megger PAT4.

I beleive you can upload the Appliance Id, Description, Test Code and Retest Period.

I will be working on this over the next couple of weeks (interuptions permitting) and will let you know as soon as I have a beta version that you can try.

Regards, Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

We have now added the above feature, allowing users of the Megger PAT4 DV3 the option of uploading data from SimplyPats V5 back to the Megger PAT4 DV3 PAT Tester.

Appliance id's, Appliance Descriptions and Test Codes can be uploaded back to the Megger PAT4 DV3. A maximum of 1000 appliances can be uploaded.

This feature will be included in release 5.2.7, however we will contact you shortly regarding BETA testing the latest release and Upload to Megger PAT4 DV3 feature.

Carl

Post subject: uploading to PAT4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:23 pm 

Oh my god it does'nt get much better than this.......uploading to the PAT4.
It works a treat, I have tried it out on two jobs so far. Working well. Many thanks RSR!

Post subject: Megger PAT4 Upload
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Nick, thanks for the testing you have done and just an update to the error you were getting after sorting tests prior to uploading, I am hoping that I have now cured this error.

The problem was caused becuase whilst SimplyPats can store Sites and Locations of greater than 20 characters in length, when uploading test data back to the Megger PAT4 Dv3, the Clients and Sites fields have a maximum of 20 characters for the first line of the address.

This is a similar problem to the Appliance Description which while this can be up to 40 characters in SimplyPats, the Megger can only store a maximum of 20 characters. I am of course reversing the abbreviations before uploading.

Hope this all makes sense, will send you an updated beta version of SimplyPats 5-2-7 which will also have the other feature you mentioned, the Retest Date on the Certificate of Portable Appliance Testing can now be displayed either as a specific date DD/MM/YYYY or as a month and year only e.g. September 2009. A new option in the Print Settings screen allows you to select which format you prefer for your certificate of PAT testing.

Regards, Richard

Post subject: Re: Megger PAT4
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:22 pm 

I've just re-visited one of my customers and used the upload facility to my PAT4.
I checked that all the asset numbers were there together with descriptions and client info.
What I failled to check was my test groups. I had to set these up on site :oops:

On further investigation I note that only 3 test groups upload.
It doesn't matter which *.pat file I use (different customers) it's the same 3 test groups.
I've done a full erase on the PAT4 which made no difference.
The parameters for these tests are correct.
These tests are
1, Class 1, 25A earth bond, insulation, operational test
2, Class 1, earth continuity, insulation, operational test
3, Class 2 extention lead

There are quite a few other tests that have disappeared.
It is not the case that I only use the above 3 tests. A variety are used for each customer.
I'm using Simplypats V5.2.7

Post subject: Uploading to Megger PAT4
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the post. I think I may know what the issues are here. SimplyPats cannot store the upload settings for the Group Codes that the Megger PAT4 uses. The data for the group codes doesn't lend itself to be stored within the SimplyPats program as the data structure was designed long before we could either download or upload to the Megger PAT 4 Pat Tester.

When you upload, the Megger requires the appliance Id's and the descriptions, but along with this it requires some header information to be sent prior, namely the Group Codes, Sites and Locations and a Line of information setting the brightness of the screen, whether it beeps on a failed test etc.

This header information is recovered from your last downloaded file, it takes the header information from that file and appends it to the data constructed within simplypats for the appliance description and appliance id for the tests you are uploading.

In the c:\program files\simplypats\temp folder you should see 2 files, Temp PAT4 Download.txt and Temp PAT4 Upload.txt

The Temp PAT4 Download.txt is your last downloaded raw data file, if you open this up in notepad you will see the Group Code settings (lines beginning G, .....) If you set up the Group Codes on the Meger PAT 4 and download you should see in this Temp PAT 4 Download.txt all your test codes. If you then do an upload with any customer you should get ALL your test codes.

At some stage you must have cleared the PAT and set up only 3 test codes before doing a download. From that point on only 3 test codes got uploaded the next times.

There are a couple of solutions to this and some work which needs to be done on SimplyPats to improve the way this works:

1) If you set up all your preferred test codes on the PAT4 and do a download, make a copy of the Temp PAT4 Download.txt and keep it somewhere safe. When you get problems in the future uploading where your preferred test codes are missed, copy your backup over the Temp PAT4 Download.txt

2) I can edit the way SimplyPats performs the construction of the data when uploading to the PAT4 so that if a file "Default PAT4 Test Codes.txt" for example exists then it will use these testcodes in preference when uploading to the PAT4.

Hope this makes some sense, as you may imagine all PAT Testers work differently and now that SimplyPats supports 24 different PAT Testers from 9 different PAT tester manufacturers trying to get their data to all appear in the program in the same way can often be a challenge.

If you would like Carl or myself to remotely connect to your PC to show where you Temp Files are and how the PAT4 Test Codes are stored, please give us a ring. Option 1 above should clear up the confusion in the short term, and Option 2 above should be a better longer term solution.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:44 am 

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in getting back.
Quote:
If you set up all your preferred test codes on the PAT4 and do a download, make a copy of the Temp PAT4 Download.txt and keep it somewhere safe. When you get problems in the future uploading where your preferred test codes are missed, copy your backup over the Temp PAT4 Download.txt

Found an older copy of Temp PAT4 Download.txt that had all my custom tests in. Just copied it back.
Found a few discrepencies with the data after uploading.
1. The "Asset serial number" has been replaced with Simplypats charge code even though that option is not selected under "System Settings\PAT Settings"
2. The "Asset VA rating" has been reset to 0
3. The "Fuse rating" has been resest to 1A

Not too much of a big deal now I'm aware of them but it would be nice to retain the original data.
Regards
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rich

Thanks for your post. Yes, the reason why these fields are either cleared when uploaded back to the Megger PAT4 is becuase they are not currently stored within SimplyPats.

However I am currently investigating making a large ammendment to SimplyPats in order to store more information about each asset / appliance. The Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment produced by the IEE suggests recording some 30 pieces of information for each appliance. If testing is not being done in house and by a PAT testing contractor it is highly unlikely that for the prices they charge and information available to them that they will record for example items such as Date of Purchase and Guarantee details.

The Megger PAT 4 is one of the only PAT testers on the market that has separate fields to allow you to enter VA Rating, Fuse, and Appliance Serial No whilst on site.

What I am planning to do to make SimplyPats more closely follow the IEE Code of Practice suggested practices is to add the following fields to SimplyPats to record the Serial Number, Class and Fuse Rating, in addition we will extend the dta structure to include Microwave Lekage tests and portable RCD trip times at 0 and 180 degrees. The latter functionality of testing RCD's is now being added to some of the most recent PAT testing machines.

This update is a huge exercise and will need alot of testing, however I am hoping to include it in 5-3-0 due September 2009 unless I encounter any problems.

The big issue for us is whilst adding the new data isn't too much of a problem we have to maintain compatibility between versions of SimplyPats running back over the past 10 years.

Hope this makes sense? Will keep posting on here as to the progress of this change.

Regards, Richard