SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SimplyPats and Windows 7
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:47 am 
Site Admin

As you may be aware, Microsoft are due to release a new operating system, Windows 7, later this year (I beleive in October 2009). Just so you are aware, we have installed a pre release version of this operating system on a test PC and then installed SimplyPats.

Whilst there was a minor issue with the installation program, this was easily overcome. At this time, it appears that SimplyPats will run on Windows 7 without any need for a major upgrade.

We will keep the forum posted as we continue to test SimplyPats on the Windows 7 operating system.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

It was brought to our attention that Simplypats Version 5 had a possible Compatibility issue with Windows 7.

After receiving a much later build of Windows 7, we can confirm that there is indeed a compatibility issue that causes SimplyPats to become unstable or not work.

We have now solved the issue and an upgrade will be available in the not to distant future.

Post subject: SimplyPats and Windows 7
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Just an update regarding Windows 7 and SimplyPats.

We have been encountering more and more problems with the installation and running of Simplypats on the new Windows 7 operating system. The problems seem to have got worse with the later trial versions of the Windows 7 operating system.

We have placed an order for the full release of Windows 7 and this should be with us by October 24th 2009.

We have fixed several issues but currently have an issue with the automatic emailing feature in SimplyPats which doesn't seem to work well with Windows 7. As a point of note, it appears that European versions of Windows 7 do not automatically come with an Email client e.g. Outlook Express or Windows Mail (the one installed with the Vista operating system).

It is certain, however, that we will release a new version of SimplyPats to implement compatibility with Windows 7.

I will continue to post as we go through the testing and debugging on Windows 7.

Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:50 am 

Hi Folks (Richard and Others)

It appears that the new release of SimplyPats will be catering for those users who upgrade their operating system to Windows 7.

Will the new release version of 5.3.0 cater for those people who choose to stay with either Vista or XP until such time they see the need to upgrade to W7 and or after the bugs in W7 have been sorted out by Microsoft?

Regards

Glenn
(Glenfer)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glenn, thank you for your post.

I started to write a reply to your post, but got a bit carried away and diversified into explaining what we intend to do regarding the future of SimplyPats in general.

For that reason, I will finish what i have so far started and create a new post over the next few days.

This will answer your questions as well as others.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glenn

I have finally submitted a forum post explaining our intentions regarding Windows 7 and Simplypats Version 5 Compatibility.

Please see the following post.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=241

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:15 pm 

Hi Carl,

Thank you for the information about your progress with Windows 7 and the creation of the latest version of SimplyPats.

I would like to go back to my original question of "will the latest version of Simplypats still work with either Vista or XP?"

If so, that will be fine. In upgrading, should I then deal back through Metrotest in New Zealand?

Regards

Glenn
(Glenfer)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glenn

Yes, the latest version (Version 6) of SimplyPats will still work with Windows XP and Vista, but will of coarse be the only version to have official support for Windows 7.

As the upgrade cost will be set at such a low price, I expect the upgrade will only be available directly through us.

Out of interest, are you currently using Windows 7, or have the need to use SimplyPats on a Windows 7 PC?

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 am 

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your last response. It is reassuring that I will not have to migrate towards installing Windows 7.

In an overall answer I will be holding back on purchasing Windows 7 until the "bugs" are sorted out although I understand that there has been extensive testing prior to the formal release.

The two laptops I use have either Vista or Windows 2000.

Regards

Glenn
(Glenfer)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:10 pm 

Hi Carl,

On 13th Nov 2009 you wrote:

"Yes, the latest version (Version 6) of SimplyPats will still work with Windows XP and Vista,"

Now that you have a full version of Windows 7 and done further development of Version 6, does the comment above still hold?

Cheers

Glenfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glenfer

SimplyPats Version 6 will work and is supported on the following Operating Systems:

Windows 7
Windows Vista
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Server 2003

SimplyPats Version 6 is now available, if you wish to purchase a copy or upgrade, please contact me.

You may want to look at the following forum area for more information viewforum.php?f=43

Regards Carl