SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SP 5.3.0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:12 am 

Hi guys,

Looks like you have done a mammoth job on this new version. Eagerly awaiting it's release.

In the beta section of the forum where you posted the new features etc:
Quote:
25) Added a setting to prevent the saving of data from SimplyPats, this may be useful where you want to have a copy of SimplyPats running on a PC where you dont want to let people edit and then save the data. Contact support for details on this setting.

Is it possible to enable a user to load the data, edit and save it but not export or print?

Thanks

Post subject: SPS 5.3.0 AKA SPS 6.0.0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John

Thanks for the comments about the new version - there is actually some more to be added to the list of new features and fixes. Things have been very chaotic as we have been trying to test the new version with Windows 7 (not to mention all the previous operating systems!)

There is a No Print option which is hidden from users and can explain via email how an easy to make change will stop SimplyPats from printing. Currently there is no No Export feature, although the No Print feature prevents you from accessing the Print Screen where the save as MS Excel (tm), MS Word (tm), HTML, TIFF and Adobe Acrobat (tm) buttons are.

When I get 5 minutes I'll update the list of new features on the forum. The Version will be 6.0.0 and not 5.3.0 as we have had to make so many large changes to deal with the advent of the final open release of Windows 7.

Regards, Richard.

PS We are looking to end of January for the release of 6.0.0 although we have a some people field testing the beta version at the moment. If you would like a beta Version to try please drop us an email and I'll ask Carl to upload one for you.

Post subject: Re: SP 5.3.0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:32 am 

You certainly do have your work cut out for you.

Quote:
There is a No Print option which is hidden from users and can explain via email how an easy to make change will stop SimplyPats from printing. Currently there is no No Export feature, although the No Print feature prevents you from accessing the Print Screen where the save as MS Excel (tm), MS Word (tm), HTML, TIFF and Adobe Acrobat (tm) buttons are.

This sound pretty much what I'm hoping for. The user could upload, tidyup the records and then save it but cant do much more with it. Yum Yum.

I guess if they had another program then they could open it with that, but then again, why wouldnt they just upload it into that other program :oops:

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John

yes - im still hoping for a full release of the new version at end of January - im keeping my fingers crossed that we won't encounter any more Windows 7 issues, and that I haven't introduced too many "undocumented design features" (bugs) with all the 65 additions that have gone in.

When you need to use the No Print option we will send you the info via email, it's a good idea to keep the method hidden so that the user's who you don't want to print from SimplyPats won't know the method, and therefore how to reverse it!

In the meantime hope you have a good christmas, sure the weather is warmer out there than it is here!

regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:36 am 

Quote:
it's a good idea to keep the method hidden so that the user's who you don't want to print from SimplyPats won't know the method, and therefore how to reverse it!

Maybe there could be a way to password protect changes. Like an administrator in windows.

No white christmas downunder, got a bit warm the other day @ 39c. Good excuse to "rehydrate". :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:11 am 

When is 5.3 being released?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John

Thanks for your post, sorry for the confusion, this post will hopefully explain all:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=241

Basically we had planned to release 5.3.0 last year but with the release of Windows 7 and the huge amount of development we had to do to get SimplyPats to work we decided to shelve the release of 5.3.0 and instead release SimplyPats version 6. This not only has Windows 7 compatibility but in addition 70 new features as well as some bug fixes.

The full list of whats included in Version 6 is here:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=254

Unfortunately this is a paid upgrade, although to reward those users who have kept up to date with the SimplyPats software over the last 10 years, we are charging only a nominal fee to Version 5 users (£30)

For Australian and New Zealand users, you can pay for the upgrade from Version 5 to version 6 on this web page.

http://www.simplypats.co.uk/simplypats_ ... _nz_au.htm

For Version 4 and below it is best if Australian and New Zealand users contact us via email as the upgrade cost is higher.

On the subject of restricting what some users can do with SimplyPats - I have just (in the last week) added another hidden switch to prevent editing of the data. As this wasnt too much work, I am going to add a final switch to stop the exporting of data. Hopefully all of these switches will give our customers the flexibility to allow thier customers, engineers or others access to the SimplyPats program and data whilst restricting what they can do with it.

Hope this all makes sense!

Regards, Richard.