SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:28 am 

Manual version running on Vista SP 2 after many successful entries I am now getting " runtime error 6 Overflow " and then SimplyPats crashes any ideas anyone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi Espduser, thank you for your post.

When you say “after many successful entries” do you mean that you have entered a number of tests into a file already, and when opening the file you receive the error?

Or are you receiving the error when trying to add another test to an existing file?

Or is this error occurring when you try to run SimplyPats?

You may also want to update your SimplyPats software to the latest Version 5.2.9, click on the following link to go to the update page;

http://www.simplypats.co.uk/spsv5/updates/updates.htm

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 pm 

Thanks for your speedy reply

I am receiving the error when trying to add another test to an existing file?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, can you send me the file please, email it to support@simplypats.co.uk

Can you also type out the information you are trying to enter into the email as well, we will try to sort the issue out as soon as possible.

Try the update as well to see if that helps.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for sending the file, we will look into the error and get back to you as soon as possible.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

We have looked at your file and contacted you by phone to get a better idea of what may be causing this error.

We have also managed to replicate your error here using your file, but only a couple of times, however I don’t think the problem is with the file itself.

So far we have ascertained that while entering your PAT Testing Results Manually, you are using the Appliance ID field to record the Appliance Serial Number.

As you know, Appliance Serial Numbers can sometimes be very long and contain many different characters including dashes and forward slashes etc, however in your case they seem to be simply Alphanumeric.

The Appliance ID Field in SimplyPats is limited to 15 characters as the software was primarily designed to download PAT Data from Downloadable PAT Testers. Most, if not all, have a limit on the amount of characters used in the Appliance ID Field.

The Appliance ID Field would not normally be used to Store the Appliance Serial Number, this is generally used to enter an “In House” generated unique ID such as 0001 and is generally found on the PAT Testing Label affixed to the Appliance after the PAT Testing has been done.

I know in your case you are not using PAT Testing Labels, nor are you assigning Appliance IDs to the Appliances, but instead using the manufacturers Appliance Serial Number for a unique identifier and traceability. Normally in this case we would suggest that you use the Extra Notes Field to Record the Serial Number as this Field can contain many more characters.

Some form of identifier should be entered into the Appliance ID Field purely for Reporting purposes (I know you are not interested in this), so in this case I would enter maybe just the first 5 or 10 characters of the Appliance Serial Number into the Appliance ID field and enter the full Serial Number in to the Extra Notes Field.

We have also limited the amount of characters that the user can enter on the Manual Entry Screen to 15 characters, so it should be impossible for the user to enter, for example LXAEN0J078648140922513 as an Appliance ID, SimplyPats will stop entering characters past LXAEN0J07864814, in fact if you have sound on the PC, you will here a Beep every time you try entering a character past the 15 character limit.

I have noticed in your file that the following Test Numbers;

3, 15, 26, 28 and 29

All have exactly 15 characters for the Serial Number, can you confirm that these should in fact be longer than 15 characters.

As mentioned, I have been able to replicate the error a couple of times, but not on every attempt. I will keep trying until I can come up with a series of steps that I can replicate by constantly performing the same operation(s).

Just thought I would also mention, the next Version of SimplyPats will have a dedicated Field for the Appliance Manufacturer Serial Number, this should be released later this year.

Apologies for the long reply, most of the above is for the benefit of other users reading the forum as I have already been through most of it over the phone with yourself.

Regards Carl