SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:45 pm 

is it possible to change the part on simplypats in the invoice that says 'GST Reg' to 'ABN'?

cheers,

Boony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boony - thanks for your post

Regarding changing GST reg to ABN Reg on the invoice. Yes this should be entirely possible and I should be able to implement it in the next couple of days.

However Im getting a bit confused with how sales tax works in Australia and New Zealand.

In the UK we have Value Added Tax (VAT) and if you are registered to levy this tax, on our invoices we have to put the VAT Number and also if a limited company the Company Registration number.

In Australia do you have separate company numbers and GST numbers? That is, does the ABN number represent your company number and the authority to levy GST?

Also as we sell alot of software in New Zealand I wonder if anyone else can explain what happens in New Zealand, that is, are there spearate numbers again for GST and Company registration? Is there an equivalent of ABN number in New Zealand?

I have done some internet research but am getting more and more confused!

I will make some changes based on the regional settings of your PC so that ABN rather than GST appears on the Invoice.

Regards Richard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boony

I have re programmed the portabe appliance Invoice printing in SimplyPats to now show ABN Reg as opposed to GST Reg. I would still like to understand the differences in Sales Tax in Australia and New Zealand so anyone reading this that can enlighten me, I'd be grateful!

I will ask Carl to send you a beta version for you to try when he gets a chance.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 am 

Hi Richard,

A few comments about GT and ABN in Australia.

I am no expert on these matters but have gone through the process of registering a business name in recent times.

Any individual who wants to operate a business can do so under their own personal name. Once they change their business name in any minor way or have a trading name from their personal name they have to register that trading name in the State in which they intend to operate. If they intend to operate in all the states then the business is registered in all states but the ABN can be used in all states.

As part of the registration process a business is issued with an Australian Business Number (ABN). Until recently some businesses had an Australian Company Number (ACN) which was issued depending on the structure of the company and what the expected cash flow "turnover" was.

As far as Goods and Services Tax (GST) (VAT in the UK) is concerned, nearly all items purchased by a business have the GST added. I have the recollection that VAT is added to everything in the UK as is the case with NZ. There are no exemptions. If a business wishes to claim the tax back as an expense either monthly or annually, then the business has to be registered with the Australian Tax Office (ATO). If a business has a turnover in excess of $50,000 they have to be GST registered. The ATO is totally independent of the ABN process. If a business is not GST registered they cannot add GST on to the sale price of a product. The business has to state on the Invoice that no GST has been charged. This means that a business may pay GST on a raw product, value add and not able to add GST to the new item being offered for sale.

In summary, the creation of a business name requires registration and an ABN is issued by an independent Government organisation. Any variation in a business name requires registration and a new ABN will be issued. As far as GST registration is concerned this not compulsorary but if turnover is of a certain value then registration is required with the ATO.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Glenn
(Glenfer)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glenn

Many thanks for your post explaining to me the issues of GST and ABN. We have many users of SimplyPats in New Zealand and Australia and I'm very keen to ensure that SimplyPats provides full support in these countries.

Sorry I didn't post back to your topic regarding Windows 7 but I have been shovelling alot of code, burning the midnight oil, trying to sort out all the problems that SimplyPats had when running on this new operating system.

Carl is going to post a new thread regarding the state of play and where the development cycle is going. However fingers crossed I have cured the last issue with Windows 7 that was causing SimplyPats to crash.

Ron is currently testing the beta version and I hope to rewrite the new instalation package over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for your feedback - it's very handy when someone can explain country specific issues so clearly as it enables us to code and test more easily.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:52 am 

Hi Richard,

Only too pleased to provide return help.

Regards

Glenn
(Glenfer)