SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:17 pm 

Hi,

On trying to open SimplyPATS I currently get an error message of "Component MSCOMM32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Could you tell me what to do to get it working again? I have some important information on there that I need to access.

Cheers

Steve
Perthshire PAT services

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve

First of all BACK UP your data or better still, the whole SimplyPats folder.

MSCOMM32.ocx may not be the only file that is missing or not registered properly, however as you are receiving that error, we will start with that one.

First check to see if the file exists, MSCOMM32.ocx should be in your C:\Program Files\Common Files\SimplyPats folder (The folder should contain around 55 files in total).

If the file does exist, then chances are its not registered. If this is the case I would recommend that you re-install SimplyPats, backup your data first though.

You have a few options:

1/ Back up your SimplyPats folder somewhere safe and re-install SimplyPats from from the original CD (or full install package if we have sent one in the past).

2/ Register the OCX manually using the command line Regsvr32

3/ Drag and drop the MSCOMM32.ocx file onto the Regsvr32.exe file found in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.
Option 1 is obviously fairly easy, and this would also replace any other files that are missing as well as register them on installation.

Options 2 and 3 are best done by someone with good IT experience.

You can of course, give me a call and I can talk you through any of the options listed above. Remote Access can be used to register the OCX file(s) if needed.

I have purposely not gone into much detail here regarding registering the OCX file(s), as I think the best option would be to let me or your IT person do it. I have mentioned it for the benefit of users that are confident in this area.

I would personally give support a call, that’s what we are here for :wink:

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:49 pm 

Hi

I had a similar issue a couple of days ago and did a reinstall. The system worked fine and kept all my settings, still downloads the tester but every time I go to print it just hangs and is completely unresponsive (apart from a beep if you click on the blue program bar at the top of the window). The only way to get out of the program is to "end task" via task manager.
Have you had this happen before?

Thanks
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andy

Thanks for your post…

What Version of SimplyPats are you running and on what Operating System?

I will try to contact you mid morning tomorrow to find out more about your issue, however you are more than welcome to call support earlier.

I will of course update this post once we have sorted out your issue.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:39 pm 

Hi Carl

I'm running 5.2.9 on XP Pro.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andy, I thought Id reply to this thread on behalf of Carl.

As Carl discussed with you on the phone earlier, the problem was resolved by deleting the Temp Preview Screen Widths.ini file in te SimplyPats Temp folder. This file records the position and width of the Print Preview screen so that you dont have to constantly size or move the screen between sessions using SimplyPats.

I think what happened in your case was you ran SimplyPats with an external monitor attached to a laptop and sized the Print Preview screen appropriately to that monitor. Subsequently you ran SimplyPats without the external monitor attached, SimplyPats tried to size or move the Print Preview screen to the settings it last remembered, however this was not possible given the display size of the laptop.

I think I have added some error trapping in Version 6 to prevent a failure in this circumstance. Tommorow we will try and replicate the problem to make sure there is indeed a fix for this.

Glad at least you are up and running.

Regards Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 pm 

Many thanks guys, excellent customer service.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Glad we could solve your issue Andy and thanks for the thumbs up regarding support.

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andy, Thanks for your post and feedback.

Carl did try this today on his PC as it has two monitors, and indeed after he dragged the Print screen over to the other screen he managed to repeat the problem you had.

Ive checked the code I have written and whilst there is some error trapping to deal with an invalid position or size (in that case it just maximizes the sreen) there is no error trapping to deal with placing the window on a screen that is no longer present.

When I get a chance to experiment I will see if I can add some more checks to stop this from happening.

In the meantime, deleting the Temp Preview Screen Widths.ini file will sort things out. Im hoping that this bug won't appear to often to cause annoyance.

Regards, Richard.

PS Just as a technical update and explanation to the orginal thread regarding the missing MSCOMM32.OCX

This file is used by SimplyPats and many other VB applications. (OCX's are files that contain 1 or more tools to help programmers)

If a second program has been installed after SimplyPats and this program has also installed MSCOMM32.OCX and then that program is subsequently uninstalled, it may have removed or unregistered this file.

Occasionally programmers when they write installation routines to install their software, do not consider that the common tools they are installing may also be needed by other programs, hence in their install routine they do not mark them as "Shared Components". On uninstallation they then are removed or unregistered.