SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:42 pm 

A question this time,
Is there any way to lock the data file to prevent editing or to prevent the Manual entry screen from opening?

I enter all the data on my laptop and will produce report from that, but there is a desktop system in the main office which holds all the statutory documentation including PAT results. I want to put a copy of SimplyPats on this office but only give them read only access so they can print reports but not modify the data.

Making the data file read only in windows only stops them saving/overwriting a file, they can still edit then print out the modified data.

If not, can I add it to the list of suggestions :D

Boswell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

Apologies for the delay in replying to your last post.

We have today released the SimplyPats Version 5.2.8 update, all SimplyPats Version 5 users can of course download the update free of charge (see link below).

The Version 5.2.8 update includes many of the features that you have suggested in previous posts, thank you very much for your input and help so far, and also for the thorough Beta Testing.

Unfortunately we have not been able to include or investigate adding all the features you mentioned in this release, we had to draw a line under the amount of features added in the current development cycle.

Version 5.2.9 will hopefully include support for a number of new PAT Testers, plus we are also working on another feature allowing users to import downloaded data into an existing “Master” file, while this is already possible, the new feature will have a lot more options.

Regarding your question about locking the Data File allowing other users Read Only access is an interesting one, and we will certainly add it to the list of things to look at for the future.

In the mean time, have a play with the new Manual Entry Features added in 5.2.8, we hope that they have made input of data speedier while at the same time including more functionality.

The SimplyPats Version 5.2.8 update can be downloaded by clicking the link on the following page http://www.simplypats.co.uk/spsv5/updates/updates.htm

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:22 pm 

Hi Carl,
Another one to the list,
In System Settings/Program & Data, (American spelling of Programme?)
The tick box 'Create Auto Backup on Download' seems to have no function in the manual version and could be removed

Boswell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. I have been working flat out to get the 5-2-8 update out for all our users and as you know it contains alot of what you have suggested over the past few weeks.

I am hoping to start working on 5-2-9 due for release in May within the next couple of weeks. In addition to support for a new PAT test machine and inclusion of a new method to import into and update existing SimplyPats data files with new test results, I plan on re visiting your comments to see what I have missed regarding the manual entry section of the software.

Will keep you posted, Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:33 pm 

Hi Richard, Just a reminder, any progress or thoughts on the following

1. If you are doing a retest of an existing item and enter the item number into the manual screen, it does not pick up the rest of the data from the original record, ie Location, retest period, description, quick test limits. Possibly also it should pick up the previous test results to allow you to see deterioration.

2. If you are doing a retest of an existing item and enter the item number into the manual screen, then enter and save the data, it then shows as 2 items with the same item number but with the test results from both dates. This is OK for record keeping, as it will allow a history to be built up but there should be an option to only print the latest test for each item.

3. The manual entry screen does not allow you to enter the action taken ie scrapped or sent for repair.

4. ‘PRINT RESULTS’ screen, it would help to have a 'SORT ORDER' option of location

5. ‘PRINT RESULTS’ screen, it would help to have’Preview Report’ options of Scrapped and another for Sent for repair.

6. I don't know if the database records the Class of the item (Class I, II, III) or the ‘Quick select test’ title used but it should be printed per item in the reports.

7. The Retests Calendar page should default to the currently opened data file

8. Is there any way to lock the data file to prevent editing or to prevent the Manual entry screen from opening?
I enter all the data on my laptop and will produce reports from that, but there is a desktop system in the main office which holds all the statutory documentation including PAT results. I want to put a copy of SimplyPats on this office but only give them read only access so they can print reports but not modify the data.
Making the data file read only in windows only stops them saving/overwriting a file, they can still edit then print out the modified data.

9. I can’t find any way to enter a formal visual inspection without entering test values

10. The reports obtained from the print function does not show tester used or its calibration date. This info is required to comply with IEE COP for inspection & testing

11. The manual entry screen does not allow the entry of the testers name and I can’t find a way to enter it. This is required to be kept for each item to comply with IEE COP for inspection & testing.

Boswell

Post subject: MANUAL version comments
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell, Thanks for your post.

Im slowly going through your list and looking at which we have addressed and which we can address. Just to give an update on some of the points raised and in no particular order.

Quote:
11. The manual entry screen does not allow the entry of the testers name and I can’t find a way to enter it. This is required to be kept for each item to comply with IEE COP for inspection & testing

The only way of setting the user / engineer name on each of the tests when entering them via the Manual entry screen was to do a Bulk Change or a Bulk Change of a selection of tests back on the main SimplyPats screen. I had left it this way as i thought it would be quicker to bulk change them after entering the tests rather than during each manual entry test.

To make it more transparent, I have added a drop down of the Users (engineers) to the Manual Entry screen. It picks up the list of users from the currently open file, you can of course type in a new engineer, which will then be added to the drop down list when starting the manual entry screen again.

Quote:
10. The reports obtained from the print function does not show tester used or its calibration date. This info is required to comply with IEE COP for inspection & testing

I have asked Carl to create a new web page showing various custom reports we have available, one of which lists the User (engineer) and PAT Machine Serial Number against each test, suggested by the IEE COP.

We have also added a feature in 5-3-0 which allows you to add extra text at the top of each report. Whilst someone requested this in order to show their ISO 9002 Registration, it could also equally be used to list the PAT machines / calibration dates of testers used.

See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=209

Quote:
9. I can’t find any way to enter a formal visual inspection without entering test values

To enter a visual only test in the manual entry screen, simply set the status of the Visual Test after entering the rest of the details of the appliance (no need to enter any test values) and then click on the New button.

Whilst the IEE COP makes various suggestions for the formal visual inspection the various elements are not recorded individually in Simplypats at this time, particularly as these are not identified individually in most PAT Test machines and downloaded. There is also little commenality between those PAT testers which attempt to identify the separate elements of a formal visual inspection.

When we next change the data structure of SimplyPats (Version 6) we will possibly include as many of these visual elements along with other documentary fields such as VA Rating, Fuse rating, Serial Number etc etc.

Quote:
8. Is there any way to lock the data file to prevent editing or to prevent the Manual entry screen from opening?

I have had a look at this and whilst it's not a feature which I think will be used by many of our users, I plan to put in a "spanner" to stop users from editing the manual entry data or to prevent them from saving the data. I plan to include this in 5-3-0 so will keep you posted as to it's progress and how to enable it.

Quote:
7. The Retests Calendar page should default to the currently opened data file

Im not sure what you mean here, the Retests Calendar currently opens at the current date, you could restrict it to show just data for the currently opened file, although for other users they would have to remember to close the currently opened file in order to show all the retests.

Quote:
6. I don't know if the database records the Class of the item (Class I, II, III) or the ‘Quick select test’ title used but it should be printed per item in the reports.

The Class of the item is not stored. However a custom report could easily generate on the fly a column showing either Class I or Class II dependant on the performing of an Earth Continuity test. There are a couple of issues here when people test kettles or monitors for example as Class II becuase they are unable to easily obtain an Earth.

Class III is another kettle of fish as they are supplied by SELV and below 50 Volts as I understand it hence where they derive their safety, on the other hand their supplying transformer is usually a safety isolating transformer to BS3535 and be tested accordingly as Class II I believe?

I will have a look at the remaining points in due course.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

As an amendment to your point 6

Quote:

I am planning to extend the data structure of SimplyPats to include some more fields to make it more compliant with the Adice given in the IIE Code Of Practice (3rd Edition)

Please see this link viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133

Regards, Richard