SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:43 pm 

richard wrote:
I think it might be an idea to make sure I make note of all of your suggestions to be looked at / added in the forum post for 5-2-8 upgrade so that none of them slip through the net!

Regards, Richard

A collated sugestion list is shown below

1. Selecting ‘PRINT RESULTS’ does not default to the currently open customer, it defaults to 'All Sites'

2. Although I have a site selected, when I open the manual entry window, the drop down box for site is defaulted to blank and I have to select the site again. DONE

3. In the manual entry screen, when you are entering the results, pressing either Tab or Return should take you to the next field down, not across, as they have been pre filled by selecting the test limits. DONE

4. Again in the results column, the box for insulation should be blank by default as the majority of entries in this field will start with 1 or 2 or more not 0. eg, 1.5, 2.3 etc

5. It would also help if when you start simplypats manual it auto loaded the last file (ie Customer) you had open. DONE

6. If you enter a class 1 result fully and then press Auto and it checks out OK then press New and select NO to retain your defaults for the next test. Then enter the next test as a class 2 and complete the fields, it retains the RESULT for the previous class one test in the earth continuity field, but correctly sets the field to SKIP,then when you press AUTO to check the results it is all OK. When you press NEW to save the data it throws up an error as you have a reading in the earth continuity RESULT. This is another reason why all the RESULT fields should be cleared when you go to a new item.

7. Also a drop down menu for the Appliance Description would be helpful or even better, Auto complete based on the previous entries in the LOCATION Field & ditto for the Appliance description? DONE

8. A bug is that I started my numbering at 0000101, then I saved the data at 0000116 and exited the programme. Restarted the programme, reselected the same customer then when to manual entry, the item number did not continue from where it left off, it went to 0000017 instead of 0000117

9. No facility to enter the PATester used or the cal date of it. DONE

10. Dropdown menus for LOCATION should be sorted alphabetically DONE

11. If you are doing a retest of an existing item and enter the item number into the manual screen, it does not pick up the rest of the data from the original record, ie Location, retest period, description, quick test limits. Possibly also it should pick up the previous test results to allow you to see deterioration.

12. If you are doing a retest of an existing item and enter the item number into the manual screen, then enter and save the data, it then shows as 2 items with the same item number but with the test results from both dates. This is OK for record keeping as it will allow a history to be built up but there should be an option to only print the latest test for each item.

13. The manual entry screen does not allow you to enter the reason for a visual fail (although there is a list of default fails) and the action taken ie scrapped or sent for repair.

14. ‘PRINT RESULTS’ screen, it would help to have a 'SORT ORDER' option of location

15. ‘PRINT RESULTS’ screen, it would help to have 'Preview Report' options of Scrapped and another for Sent for repair.

16. I don't know if the database records the Class of the item (Class I, II, III) or the ‘Quick select test’ title used but it should be printed per item in the reports.

Sorry about formating, it didn't copy from Word very well!!

Boswell

Last edited by Boswell on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08 pm 

Couple more for you Richard on the manual version

The Re-tests Calendar page should default to the currently opened data file instead of having to search for the customer, also the customer entry box should be predictive text or a drop down menu

On the Manual data entry screen, if you enter a F for the visual and nothing else, then press ‘Auto’, it changes the visual fail to a ‘P’ and fails it on insulation. If an item has failed the visual, the test should not proceed as it is not safe to test. Therefore if you enter a fail in the visual and press ‘Auto’ it should leave the visual as a fail and set all the others to ‘S’

Boswell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 am 

Couple more points, (will it ever end! :wink: )

Your Appliance register should be more akin to IEE COP Form V1.1 Equipment Register with the facility of entering the frequency of formal visual & inspection & test, or even expanded to show the static data for each item,
eg
Item ID, description, location, Class (i,ii,iii,IT), Type(S,IT,M,P,H), frequency of formal visual , frequency of inspection & test

As a general thing, which applies to downloadable testers as well, clients(Equipment users) have a requirement to administer the PAT / keep PAT records and so if PAT testing firms can offer the administration side to thier clients as well as carry out the testing it would be a good selling point to get more testing business.
SimplyPats could be developed to be a multi company testing & administration system so that you could load the data file for a company/site and see the full applience details, history, retest dates, repairs, scrapped etc and then produce fully configurable reports as required.
I did do a functional spec for a manual entry, one company system and started to do it in Access but realised that I didn't have the time. The effort involved in writing for just our site was not worth it so I looked around for a commercial manual system and found SimplyPats (amongst others!)

Boswell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

Thanks for having a crack at 5-2-8 and glad the predictive text for inputting the Appliance Description is working ok... it was fun to write!

I am currently working on a new download routine to a firmware variant of an existing PAT tester so had not had a chance to look any more at the Manual Entry this weekend, however thanks for compiling a list and marking those things which have been addressed.

The next issue I intend to address is the suggested Appliance ID on the manual entry screen.
I plan to implement 3 options for the generation of the next appliance id:

a) Generating the appliance id from the record number, if you have 10 records giving you 000000011
b) calculating the appliance id by adding one to the last appliance id entered.
c) going through the open file, finding the highest numerical appliance id and adding 1

You have outlined a series of suggestions and bugs which I and the boys will have a look at in more detail over the next few days and look at their implementation.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Boswell wrote:
1. Selecting ‘PRINT RESULTS’ does not default to the currently open customer, it defaults to 'All Sites'

SimplyPats is not designed to have multiple customer data in one file, each customer should have their own PAT file, this is generally referred to as storing data in flat file format. You would then choose which customer or set of data you wish to work on or view, from the File Open or Review Customers screen.

Once loaded, the current file would only contain details (Name, Address, Contact etc) and Test Data for that Customer Only. Printed Reports then pick up data from the file currently open.

We are aware that some users would prefer a true database driving SimplyPats and this is something we are certainly looking into for the future. Whether we use flat file or a database to store the data, there will always be pros and cons for either.

I hope I have understood the question properly.

Boswell wrote:
4. Again in the results column, the box for insulation should be blank by default as the majority of entries in this field will start with 1 or 2 or more not 0. eg, 1.5, 2.3 etc

Clicking (or using Tab) in the Test Results field now highlights the contents of that field, allowing the user to directly overtype the default value. This should speed up entering test results and also address your recommendation.

Boswell wrote:
8. A bug is that I started my numbering at 0000101, then I saved the data at 0000116 and exited the programme. Restarted the programme, reselected the same customer then when to manual entry, the item number did not continue from where it left off, it went to 0000017 instead of 0000117

We have added a new field on the Manual Entry screen titled “Create Next App Id From”

When adding a new appliance, you will now have the option of incrementing the appliance Id by using one of the following methods;

Number of Records Plus 1 (this is the default choice)
Highest Appliance Id Plus 1
Last Appliance Id Plus 1

Boswell wrote:
On the Manual data entry screen, if you enter a F for the visual and nothing else, then press ‘Auto’, it changes the visual fail to a ‘P’ and fails it on insulation. If an item has failed the visual, the test should not proceed as it is not safe to test. Therefore if you enter a fail in the visual and press ‘Auto’ it should leave the visual as a fail and set all the others to ‘S’

On Manual Entry screen, if after having added several test results and limits you change the Visual status to a Fail and re-press the Auto button, all the test results are cleared and their status is now set to skip.

Just thought i would give you an update of our progress, we are still looking at the other points mentioned.

I will send you an update to test shortly.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:38 am 

admin wrote:
Boswell wrote:

SimplyPats is not designed to have multiple customer data in one file, each customer should have their own PAT file, this is generally referred to as storing data in flat file format. You would then choose which customer or set of data you wish to work on or view, from the File Open or Review Customers screen.

Once loaded, the current file would only contain details (Name, Address, Contact etc) and Test Data for that Customer Only. Printed Reports then pick up data from the file currently open.

We are aware that some users would prefer a true database driving SimplyPats and this is something we are certainly looking into for the future. Whether we use flat file or a database to store the data, there will always be pros and cons for either.

I hope I have understood the question properly.

Hi Carl,
I think it might be my misunderstanding of the programme, in my comment above when i say 'Currently open customer' I mean 'Currently open Data file'
As I have only one customer and one site (me!) that's what was confusing me. I can leave the 'All sites' box ticked by default and it will bring up the same data.

Thanks for the update

Boswell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Boswell wrote:
6. If you enter a class 1 result fully and then press Auto and it checks out OK then press New and select NO to retain your defaults for the next test. Then enter the next test as a class 2 and complete the fields, it retains the RESULT for the previous class one test in the earth continuity field, but correctly sets the field to SKIP,then when you press AUTO to check the results it is all OK. When you press NEW to save the data it throws up an error as you have a reading in the earth continuity RESULT. This is another reason why all the RESULT fields should be cleared when you go to a new item.

The above has now been addressed along with a couple of other changes.

Clicking Yes to clear Entries will now clear or reset the following;

Appliance Description
    Fail Reason
    Quick Select Test Limits
    Test Results, Limits and Status

Boswell wrote:
13. The manual entry screen does not allow you to enter the reason for a visual fail (although there is a list of default fails) and the action taken ie scrapped or sent for repair.

We have now added a Field for Fail Reason. You have the option of typing in your own fail reason or selecting one from the list.

Fail Reasons displayed in the list are picked up from your Maintain Default Fails table, available from the File Menu by choosing Maintenance > Maintain Default Fails.

We will probably have something for you to test tomorrow.

On another subject

I am also looking at changing the layout for the Manual Entry Screen, I think as we have added more functionality and fields it is getting a little crowded and un-ordered.

I am currently doing a mock up of the proposed screen layout and will post the image as soon as I have finished.

Your thoughts on this matter (or anyone else’s viewing this forum) would be welcome.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:52 am 

Another suggestion Carl,
In the Manual entry screen, when you press ‘AUTO’ to check the results, any ‘F’ for fail should be in RED or highlighted in some way

Boswell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

I have added that to the Manual Entry screen. If you change the status of a PAT test, or use the Auto button and a failed test is found, now the Status, Limit and Result of that test is shown in Red if it is a fail.

I am still looking at some of the other suggestions you have made, in the meantime I'll ask Carl to email you another interim Beta of the SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software so that you can see the progress so far.

Im hoping to make a release of the 5-2-8 upgrade earlier than planned as I have made some changes for downloading the test and tag (pat testing) data for our Australian and New Zealand markets.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:03 pm 

Thanks for the latest manual version, sorry for delay in replying, had a HDD crash and had to install a new drive, format and recover everything.
( I make regular image backups !) The time was to obtain a replacement drive!

First go at 5.2.8 sent to me on 12/13th Feb.

Load a data file
Open the maual entry screen
Fill in the appliance description, location, Fail reason,Quick select test limits and F in the Visual status field
Press 'AUTO' to check results.
It clears the Quick select test limits to 'NO TEST LIMIT SCHEME'
It clears the Visual status field to 'S'

This happens if you have the Quick select test limits set to anything other than 'NO TEST LIMIT SCHEME'

If the Quick select test limits are set to 'NO TEST LIMIT SCHEME' then it all works OK but it fails to highlight the Fail in any way.

As it's now 10pm on a Sunday night, I'll check more functions tomorrow!!

Boswell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bernie

Sorry to hear about your HDD crash - glad you have backed everything else, as we always say to people, it's only the data that is worth anything!

Yes thanks for spotting that error - have replicated it here and think I have fixed it, the manual entry code is getting kind of complicated and things are starting to interact with each other.

Will carry on looking at the various outstanding issues over the next couple of days, and will also have to revamp the help file as this is getting out of date on the manual entry.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:32 pm 

Hi Richard,
When you start simplyPats and goto manual entry, the 'Create next app ID' field is defaulted to 'Number of Records Plus 1'
Should it default to the 'Create next app ID' last used?
If I then change it to 'Last Appliance +1' or 'Highest Appliance +1' there is no way I can see to make it update the ID number without clicking 'New' and creating/overwriting a appliance.

Boswell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 pm 

Hi Richard, another one for you

Run SimplyPats and let it open your previously used data file,
Highlight any one record
Goto test results on RHS of screen and Right click to edit the results, it then takes you into Manual data entry screen for that appliance.
Firstly it does not show what 'Quick Select Test limits' had been used previously. (and I had used them when I entered the original data)
edit the results, click Auto, click OK to save data.
It returns to the main screen but the RHs has not been updated with the new data for that appliance
Save the data, still not updated,
Close and restart SimplyPats, data is now updated!!

ps, just found out that clicking away onto another appliance and back again forces an update of the RHS, but still should not be required!

Boswell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

Thanks again for your input. Regarding the Edit Manual entry I have now tried to force the results area to update without having to click off a PAT test record when the manual entry screen closes.

I have changed the default scheme of how the Portable Appliance test numbers are now calculated. It is now set by default to "Last Appliance Id Plus 1"

Quote:
If I then change it to 'Last Appliance +1' or 'Highest Appliance +1' there is no way I can see to make it update the ID number without clicking 'New' and creating/overwriting a appliance.

I have had both guys in the office testing this point but they can't seem to replicate it? Do I need to sack them? ;) Any further info on this point might be handy to save them their jobs.

Regards Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:51 pm 

Hi Richard, let them keep thier jobs but sack the beta tester instead, sorry!
I can't make it happen now either!

Boswell