SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:30 pm 

Firstly, many thanks to the support team who sorted out my problems in getting the manual programme to work. It was a bug, not me being thick!! Fantastic support!!

Just rerospectivley entered my results from a recent manual test logbook and have found the following.
1 The print command does not remember the previous selection (ie site, all sites) it defaults to 'All Sites'
2 Although I have a site selected, when I open the manual entry window, the drop down box for site is defaulted to blank and I have to select the site again.
3 In the manual entry screen, when you are entering the results, pressing either Tab or Return should take you to the next field down, not across, as they have been pre filled by selecting the test limits.
4 Again in the results column, the box for insulation should be blank by default as the majority of entries in this field will start with 1 or 2 or more not 0
eg, 1.5, 2.3 etc

These are all small cosmetic suggestions that may help to make the manual version easier for the end user.
I realise that other users may be happy with the above or it could be a feature, but it is just something I have noticed as a 'one site' manual user.

Boswell

Boswell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:01 pm 

Further to my recent post,
it would also help if when you start simplypats manual it auto loaded the last file (ie Customer) you had open. :)

Boswell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell, welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your comments regarding our support, it is nice to hear that users are appreciative of our efforts in helping out.

Regarding your particular support issue, as you know this has now been sorted out by offering a temporary work-around, however we have also now addressed the problem in code and will release an update shortly.

Myself or a member of the development team will cover this in a separate post, however I will briefly go over the problem here, in case other users experience the same problem.

SimplyPats crashes while entering a Manual Entry Test. If you are experiencing this problem, please make sure you have more than one PAT Tester listed in the Maintain PAT Tester list.

Unfortunately I can not give answers to your comments numbered 1 – 4 plus of course your additional request regarding loading the last file open, this would be covered by development, I am sure they will consider all points mentioned and respond shortly.

We do take on board all comments from our users, and if they are possible to achieve and beneficial to other users we will of course consider implementing them.

Version 5.2.7 included a lot of enhancements and specifically some major changes to the Manual Entry feature. While we have done some extensive testing there is in this case, a bug that slipped through the net. Fortunately we are normally able to act quickly and offer users a work-around or solution in a timely manner.

Thank you again for your patience on the phone and your cooperation in resolving this matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell - Thankyou for your post and comments.

Regarding your suggestions to improvements to the Manual Entry Version of SimplyPats for PAT Testers that cannot download to the PC:

1) Remembering which Sites etc selected for printing. Yes this seems like a good idea, like you I find it useful when using a program that remembers what you commonly do so you don't have to reselect it each time! Over the years I have tried to get SimplyPats to remember more and more user selected options. I will try and add this to the next upgrade 5-2-8

2) Yes again this is a good idea, although I will probably only make it remember the Site or Location in a session, i.e. it won't be stored between running simplypats on a future instance if you knwo what I mean!

3) Yes changing the TAB order is not a problem - I thought it was logical to move accross. I can change it to move diwn the columns, will be interesting to see if any other users prefer the TAB acrros though?

4) Yes - again understand what you mean about the insulation - I will investigate this further as I do have some issues to do with fields that are blank and fields that contain 0.00 or a 0 value. As you are aware a 0.00 could actually be a reading from the PAT tester rather than being "no reading"

5) The last suggestion you mentioned is also a great idea and not one that we had thought of before. I can add a tick box option in the System Settings so that when SimplyPats starts it automatically loads the last used file.

I will try and add most if not all of these features into the next free simplypats upgrade which should be due in April 2009. If as I add the features you will like an early beta release than please contact us and we will make beta's available as I add the features.

As Carl has pointed out, SimplyPats is always evolving as we try and respond to customer suggestions and planned improvements, unfortunately we don't always find all the problems that we by the nature of software include at the same time. Thanks for your patiience and kind comments regarding the level of support.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

Just a quick update, although I should really be fighting some other fires, I have had a look at programming some of your suggestions this afternoon.

1) I have added a tick box option on the System Settings screen, Program and Data TAB, to force SimplyPats to load the last edited file when SimplyPats starts up. This appears to work fine... although we have only quickly tested it.

2) I have added a drop down of PAT testers in the Manual Entry screen so that you can assign the PAT tester to each test as you add them rather than having to bulk change the tests.

3) The issue with having to have more than 1 Pat Tester in the Maintain PATs Screen has hoepfully now been resolved. Just shows that this issue occurred in 5-2-6 and trying to fix it in version 5-2-7 I actually made it worse... not good. However the 5-2-7 update has been amended and obviously the same fix will be in 5-2-8, hopefully this time I have resolved the issue completely!

I will make a build of 5-2-8 BETA and ask Carl to email you a link where you can download it.

I will carry on looking at / adding some of the other suggestions and keep you updated as to progress. Thanks again for your offer of Beta testing and your input into the SimplyPats Manual Entry Version.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:04 pm 

Just a few things to keep you busy!
Entering some more manual results today.

If you enter a class 1 result fully and then press Auto and it checks out OK then press New and select NO to to retain your defaults for the next test
Then enter the next test as a class 2 and complete the fields, it retains the RESULT for the previous class one test in the earth continuity field, then when you press AUTO to check the results, it throws up an error as you have a reading in the earth continuity RESULT.
This is another reason why all the RESULT fields should be cleared when you go to a new item.

Also a drop down menu for the Appliance Description would be helpfull or even better, Auto complete based on the previous entries in the LOCATION Field & ditto for the Appliance description ?

A bug is that I started my numbering at 0000101, Then I saved the data at 0000116 and exited the programme.
Restarted the programme, reselected the same customer then when to to manual entry, the item number did not continue from where it left off, it went to 0000017 instead of 0000117

Boswell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

Thanks for your post, having been working today on some of the additions to the Manual Entry screen and a bug fix to bulk changing the date on a selection of tests where the time of test was being cleared.

Ill add your suggestions to my list of things to look at as they make perfect sense to me. I am hoping to look next at the clearing process after you have added a test and will also look at the bug where it suggests the next appliance id after you have saved your file.

Will keep you posted but hope to have a interim beta in the next couple of days, snow and other issues permitting!

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:22 pm 

Another point on manual entry,
No facility to enter the PATester used or the cal date of it. The report sobtained from the print function does not show tester used or cal date.
This info is required to comply with C&G 2377-01

Dropdown menus for LOCATION should be sorted alphabetically

I'll seeif I can find somemore :D

Boswell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Again

Yesterday I have added the PAT tester as a drop down on the Manual Entry screen, so this can be set as you add the tests. In 10 years we have only had one request to have a report with the PAT Tester Serial displayed, to solve this we have produced a custom report which I think shows the User and PAT Serial on each appliance. Of course the 1 appliance per page report shows this information but you would need to cut down a forest to print even a small file!

The sites and locations can be sorted alphabetically - I will make a note to do this.

I think it might be an idea to make sure I make note of all of your suggestions to be looked at / added in the forum post for 5-2-8 upgrade so that none of them slip through the net!

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

richard wrote:
In 10 years we have only had one request to have a report with the PAT Tester Serial displayed, to solve this we have produced a custom report which I think shows the User and PAT Serial on each appliance.

The Report in question was a request from one of our users, and also shows the Engineer Name, an example of the Report is shown in the following post http://www.simplypats.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82

I dont think this has been made publically available to date, however i will send an email to myself as a reminder to upload a link to our website so other users can download the custom Report.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that Carl

I hope I am making some progress on some additions to the Manual Entry screen for entering Portable Appliance Testers which have no download facility. Perhaps you would also make a note for me to do an interim build of 5-2-8 tommorow to send to Boswell.

There are still several additions and some possible bugs to check but maybe would be useful to get a build out so what has been done so far can be tested.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:01 pm 

You both work late !! are you snowed in !!

The Calibration date of the tester is also important, so that you can have traceability.

In case on an incident, you need to be able to show a record of the item, engineer who pat tested it, test results, tester used and that it was in cal at the time of the test.

The paper trail has become MUCH more important in the last 10 years due to the desire to place blame (or avoid it)

Boswell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boswell

Just another update, Im still trying to get an interim Beta version out to you as soon as possible. In the last couple of days I have added predictive text for the appliance description which suggests a lists of words as you start typing from which you can select one to save typing. It will also prompt any fullwords for any abbreviations you enter, for example typing "EX4" will prompt "EXTENSION LEAD 4 WAY"

Hopefully this will speed up the entry of the tests. I am still working on the other issues you have raised, however this is the complete progress so far:

(Once Carl has updated the Help file, I will send an interim beta, hopefully this should be tommorow!)

Regards, Richard

Additions

1) Added a new option in System Settings so that when SimplyPats starts, your last edited data file is automatically loaded.

2) Added a drop down to the Manual Entry screen so that you can select which PAT tester was used.

3) Following a user request, have changed the TAB key order on the Manual Entry screen so that the cursor proceeds down the columns of limits and results, rather than accross the rows.

4) On the Manual Entry screen, when new sites or locations are entered they are made available on the drop down list. This list is now sorted into alphabetical order.

5) On selecting the Manual Entry Screen where you already have entered several Manual test results, the site, location, pat serial and retest period are set by default to those of the last test you entered.

6) Added predictive text to the Appliance Description on the Manual Entry screen. When start typing, a suggest list of words is displayed, clicking on one of these words will add them to the appliance description.

Bugs

1) On the main screen when selecting your PAT Tester serial number from the drop down list, the list was always showing one less than the number of testers you had entered. Thought this had been fixed in 5-2-7 but hadnt and caused more problems when only 1 pat tester was listed in the Maintiain Pat Testers screen. This has now been fixed.

2) When Bulk changing the date a selection of records, the new date was applied but the time of each test was set to 00:00. This has now been fixed so that the original time of test is retained.

3) On the Manual Entry screen, after creating a new test, you are prompted to clear the test results. This was also clearing the last location and site forcing you to reselect them for the next test. The last site, location, pat serial and retest period are now remembered between each test you add.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:52 pm 

Thanks Richard, look forward to trying it

Boswell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 pm 

Hi Richard, just trying out the beta of the manual prog, I like the predictive text, nice touch. The manual screen defaults to the current customer OK and retains the data over multiple entries

Just a few more points,

Selecting ‘PRINT RESULTS’ does not default to the currently open customer.

If you are doing a retest of an existing item and enter the item number into the manual screen, it does not pick up the rest of the data from the original record, ie Location, retest period, description, quick test limits. Possibly also it should pick up the previous test results to allow you to see deterioration.

If you are doing a retest of an existing item and enter the item number into the manual screen, then enter and save the data, it then shows as 2 items with the same item number but with the test results from both dates. This is OK for record keeping as it will allow a history to be buit up but there should be an option to only print the latest test for each item.

The manual entry screen does not allow you to enter the reason for a visual fail (although there is a list of default fails) and the action taken ie scrapped or sent for repair.

‘PRINT RESULTS’ screen, it would help to have a 'SORT ORDER' option of location

‘PRINT RESULTS’ screen, it would help to have a 'Preview Report' options of Scrapped and another for Sent for repair.

I don't know if the database records the Class of the item (Class I, II, III) or the Quick select test title used but is should be printed per item in the reports.

I think that simply PATs is designed for PAT companies to carryout testing and produce a one off report of the tests carried out.
I am thinking more of a system that will allow you to comply with the management & record keeping side of PAT as well as the testing aspect.
This means you have records showing results, equipment used, calibration date of equipment, name of person doing the test etc on an item by item basis.

I think that's enough for now!! :D

Boswell

Last edited by Boswell on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.