SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Class and Type?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:50 am 

:?: Hi.

Is there any way to add the Construction Class and Equipment Type? could be a simple format such as 1/HH.

Also, as our tests don't need to be time stamped, can that column be optionally removed?

Many Thanks.

P.S an afterthought...
As the new code of practice 'suggests' Microwave Leakage tests, is there any way of having some way of manually entering the readings against an appliance?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Phil

Thanks for your post. Regarding class and type these could be entered in the Notes field in SimplyPats. We could then create a customm report for you to ensure these are printed out in your desired format.

Yes I like your idea about the Microwave tests, the only issue I can see and Im not expert is that in the past I noticed that the data was (depending on how the Microwave tests were done) kind of incompatible with the PAT testing data. There used to be a system of shims that were fitted to the door of the microwave and several readings done with the different shims. What piece of kit are you using to do the test and are you doing a single reading or multiple readings at different points around the microwave or with different shims?

When we eventually start planning SimplyPats Version 6 we will include alot more fields in the data structure so that you can record more information on the appliance (such as class) and also other tests such as RCD times and maybe the Microwave tests.

Regards, Richard

Post subject: Re Microwave Tests
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Phil

Just had another thought as I made a cup of coffee.

Depending on the type of data from your Microwave tests it wouldnt be too much of a problem to write a utility to record and print the microwave tests.

This program could interface with SimplyPats to pick up the customer data (address etc) so that you dont have to manually duplicate the customer information.

Anyone else interested in this?

Regards, Richard

Post subject: Re: Re Microwave Tests
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:09 pm 

richard wrote:
Regarding class and type these could be entered in the Notes field in SimplyPats. We could then create a custom report for you to ensure these are printed out in your desired format.

I think that would work fine, Thankyou.

richard wrote:
What piece of kit are you using to do the test and are you doing a single reading or multiple readings at different points around the microwave.

The tester I use is a simple one without shims, gives a reading whilst you hold the button, and an audible alarm if it goes over 5.0 mW/cm² - I run the microwave as per instructions and 'scan' around the seal, glass, and any vents taking the single highest reading, or if alarm sounds investigating and possibly failing the microwave.
A simple test you might say.

richard wrote:
Just had another thought as I made a cup of coffee.

Thats where all the best thinking comes from :)

richard wrote:
Depending on the type of data from your Microwave tests it wouldnt be too much of a problem to write a utility to record and print the microwave tests.

This program could interface with SimplyPats to pick up the customer data (address etc) so that you dont have to manually duplicate the customer information.

That would be great for my purposes, as I mentioned before I am an in-house tester for a school, but as the school belongs to a group (of companies) some information needs to be available at head office, otherwise I would keep simple paper records.

Thanks
Phill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 pm 

I've just been thinking about microwave leak tests.

Got a Megger PAT4 so don't see how I could input the results into that.
The last job I did I used the Megger for the electrical test of the microwave and then wrote the leakage results on a bit of paper.

In the SimplyPats program I added a manual result using the same appliance ID with a b on the end.
In the Maintain Test Prices I've altered one to say Microwave Leakage Test (Note to RSR, it would be nice if we could have more than 10 test prices).
I enter the results under Comments.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Hi Rich, thanks for your post.

Re the charge codes - yes no problem I will add these in release 5-2-8, you are welcome to have a beta of this when I start work on it early 2009.

There has been a bit of a delay with releasing the update 5-2-7 as we are effectively adding a new product at the same time, SimplyPats for non downloading Pat Testers.

Regarding the microwave testing I think as separate utility maybe the way to go rather than try and fit the data into SimplyPats. I will release the utility as a free of charge program for SimplyPats users.

Regards, Richard.

Post subject: Re: Class and Type?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:42 pm 

I know this is a fairly old post, but having just bought SimplyPats, I wondered about the issue of Microwave Leakage results being recorded?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pysces83

SimplyPats does not currently have a dedicated area to store Microwave Test or Leakage Results, however it is something we would be interested in knowing more about as we may look at developing a utility for recording the results if enough people would use it.

We would like to know to what degree these tests are being carried out, questions to consider are:

How many tests are been performed
At what distance
Are shims being used
Are the tests done from different positions, Front, Back, Side etc

The more information provided the better, but we would need a starting point.

If you are just recording one or two test results, then you could use the Manual Entry feature in SimplyPats and enter the results in the Notes Field, we could possible look at creating a Custom Report to pull the Results from the Notes Field, however there would need to be some form of continuity to the way the data (results) are entered.

Give me a call on our usual support number if you would like to discuss this further.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:15 am 

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your response, I'll drop you an email - I'm deaf so communicating over a telephone is difficult and frustrating for the person I'm speaking to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Not a problem, i look forward to receiving your email, we will see what we can do.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pysces83, Rich and Phil

This is a repost of information I have posted elsewhere but thought it would make sense to post it in this thread on the fourm.

I am currently investigating making a large ammendment to SimplyPats in order to store more information about each asset / appliance. The Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment produced by the IEE suggests recording some 30 pieces of information for each appliance. If testing is not being done in house and by a PAT testing contractor, it is highly unlikely that for the prices they charge and information available to them that they will record for example items such as Date of Purchase and Guarantee details.

What I am planning to do to make SimplyPats more closely follow the IEE Code of Practice suggested practices is to add the following fields to SimplyPats to record the Serial Number, Class and Fuse Rating, in addition we will extend the data structure to include Microwave Leakage tests and portable RCD trip times at 0 and 180 degrees. The latter functionality of testing RCD's is now being added to some of the most recent PAT testing machines.

This update is a huge exercise and will need alot of testing, however I am hoping to include it in 5-3-0 due September 2009 unless I encounter any problems.

The big issue for us is whilst adding the new data isn't too much of a problem we have to maintain compatibility between versions of SimplyPats running back over the past 10 years.

Hope this makes sense? Will keep posting on here as to the progress of this change.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:22 pm 

Richard
Fantastic, that is the way to go but include some spare extra fields in the database (say 100% spares!) to allow for future expansion!,
The IEE COP is bound to want extra data as time goes on :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:21 pm 

Excellent news. I'll look forward to the new amendments.

Post subject: Microwave Tests
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi pysces83

We are currently debugging 5-3-0 and hoping to release it as soon as possible. The Microwave leakage results screen has been added and allows you to enter a single leakage result in mW/cm2. The limit is set to 5 mw/cm2 which I believe is the current recomended safe Microwave Leakage limit at a distance of 5cm.

I have also added a new report to the Print screen which allows you to print a list of all the Microwaves in your data showing their leakage test results. Obviously the electrical tests conducted on the same microwave are printed out under the normal printed reports.

Hope this makes sense. Will continue to give updates on here as to the likely release date of 5-3-0.

Regards, Richard