SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:18 pm 

Other than the original scanner does any one have experience with fitting scanners to the above tester.

Do i have to configure the unit to except a scanner in the serial port? unit is set to keyboard input does this stop a scanner been used?
Does the tester have handshaking enabled on the port? if so what type?
The scanner I have available is a Symbol LS4208 i can configure this any way i like and also make cables to any spec i need. I can see it transmitting data to the tester though a serial breakout box, but nothing appears on the screen. i am in the correct location to input data.
I have also configured the scanner to operate via serial on the correct baud rates ect.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi davegermain,

Ive never looked at configuring a barcode scanner for an MPAT60 despite it being the first PAT test machine i used some 15 years ago.

I have one in the office and will go and run it up to see if i can get a scanner to talk to it.

If I can't sort it quickly I will ask our electrical engineering / soldering whiz to have a look at it early next week.

Regarding handshaking I would expect the setting to be none. In an ideal world it would be 8 data bits one stop bit, no parity and 9600 baud. Given the age of the MPAT 60 and it's download speed the baud rate might be 1200.

Also the wiring of the download data cable is rather unusual with 4,6 and 8 tied and the barcode scanner might need the same arrangement.

Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:56 pm 

Thanks,

I have double checked the baud rate and yes it is 1200. Not fixed it though. i am curious about linking the pins, this is normally to bypass the need for hardware flow control if i remember correctly. it a good thought i will try mod my cable to match that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ive had a quick look at the MPAT60 but didnt manage to get it to scan.

Tried various baud rate settings including 1200, and whilst the scanner powers up (pin 9 is the power) I couldnt get any data through. As there was no odd data shown I assum I havent got the correct data pin connected.

You would expect it to be pin 2 or 3, however I tried both of these to no avail.

Ive had to get back to the work Im on, howver if you dont get any luck, I will ask our expert to have a crack next week.

Richard.