SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:33 pm 

You've advised people in past posts how to set up barcode scanners, I have just purchased a Motorola LS2208 scanner to use with our DVF/3 but it does not appear to be working.
We have no barcoded assets set up at the moment so I would appreciate some guidance on how to activate the scanner and also to set up an asset with a pre-printed barcode label.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi SVPS EE

First off, have you got a serial lead to connect the Motorola LS2208 scanner to the PAT4 DVF3? And if so is it powering up and scanning items (beeping?)

The wiring arrangments for scanners and pat testers are relatively straight forward however you need it to be scanning even it can't yet talk to the PAT4.

If it isn't scanning get back to me and I will go through the wiring issues.

If it is scanning we can go on to configuring the scanner to get it to read.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:33 pm 

Richard

Yes, the reader came with a RS232 lead with external power supply, when it is plugged in and powered up the unit beeps, when the trigger is operated but nothing seems to happen on the DVF/3 so I'm assuming it's a configuration problem.

I've tried looking for configuation istructions/settings but have drawn a blank.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve

The first trick is to get power to the scanner when it is plugged into the Megger PAT4 DVF3. Off the top of my head, the connections on the RS232 (serial connector) are as follows:

9 5v DC
5 GND
2 TX (transmit Data)

I will check these tomorow when I'm back in the office in case my memory is failing.

So, you need to either purchase a cable for the scanner which has power on pin 9 (scanner manufacturers often sell these as an alternative to those powered by an external power supply) or you will need to solder up an RS232 female plug with the wiring above to plug into the Megger PAT4.

The RS232 plug and shells (case) are available from a Maplins shop, or online at stores such as Rapid or RS Components.

Once you have got the scanner powered from the PAT4 it's simply a question of programming the scanner with the correct baud rate, parity and stop bits. This can usually be done by downloading the configuration manual for the scanner and scanning some configuration barcodes.

But first step is to get the wiring sorted to power the scanner from the PAT4.

Richard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:48 pm 

Richard

The RS232 has a supply from a power supply provided with the scanner, I've downloaded barcodes to set up the scanner for baud rate etc but I do not know which ones to use for the DVF/3.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve

Do you have the reference manual for the Barcode scanner - I downloaded a copy in PDF format quite quickly.

With the manual you need to scan the configuration codes for your scanner for the following baud rate data bits and stop bits

Baud = 2400
Data Bits = 8
Stop Bits =2

The configuration codes are on pages 6-9 and 6-13 of the LS2208 Manual

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 am 

Richard

Tried what you suggested but still no joy.

I downloaded the scanner set-up software but need to get a 9 way D type gender changer to allow connection to my laptop, when I get one I'll be in touch if I still cannot get it to work - should have bought the Megger approved one...

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve

Not sure where you are based but if you are close to Cornwall you're welcome to pop in and I will set it up for you.

Porgramming via software is fine however you can do it from the configuration barcodes which are in the PDF manual for your scanner. When I get 5 minutes I'll find you the link to the manual so you can download it.

It's a bit of a faff wiring and programming your own barcode scanner, but I would say it's worth it as it gives you a wider choice of what scanners you can use.

The megger pat4 works well with different scanners and I'm sure your scanner will work.

Richard.