SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: megger pat4dv/3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:09 pm 

hello all and what a great forum for some tricky pat questions.
I have a couple of questions regarding the pat4 dv/3 running version 1.3. I am able to use the printer to print the asset number and barcode pass labels but when i go to retest with the scanner connected to the pat tester it does not recognise the barcode on the label that the printer printed out on the asset I.D screen? also i notice on here that the factory reset gives options for testing a pc but the range of levels is strange i understand the guidlines as laid out in edition 4 but the test is way out or so it seems it wants to run a visual/ continuity and insulation resistance tests but it advises in the CoP not to do an insulation test on sensitive it equipment and replace it with touch current measurement. if anyone has used the same machine as mine and succesfully completed the tests without any problems could you please pm me or post on here the exact tests you carried out and in what order and the settings you chose on the options so i can run these tests without worry lol. The equipment is my own dj equipment and i have sat the new c&g exam 4th edition and struggled through it if im honest so i am seeking advice hopefully.
As i have read on here i was not taught to pat test sensitive equipment on the 3 day course but understand the theory behind it all. I have a lot of inquiries from local bands i know but i am nowhere near ready for the big wide world yet i realise that so want to play with my equipment as a dummy run so to speak and go from there. Any links to tutorial videos or tutorials would be a bonus to if possible .
Many thanks in advance if you can help really nice to see there is some users of the same machine i have out there as well still using it.
P.s the tester is fully calibrated and safe to use its just so complex lol

Post subject: Re: megger pat4dv/3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi uksrevivor

Hopefully some of the PAT4 dv/3 users we have on here will reply as they have much more experience of testing in the field than we have.

Having said that - I'll try and answer some of your questions.

Quote:
I am able to use the printer to print the asset number and barcode pass labels but when i go to retest with the scanner connected to the pat tester it does not recognise the barcode on the label that the printer printed out on the asset I.D screen?

Did you buy the kit new or secondhand? It is possible that the barcode scanner has not been setup correctly for the symbology (type of barcode) that the printer is printing. Normally labels are printed with a type known as 3 of 9. It may be that your scanner needs to be reset and setup with the correct settings for the Megger PAT4. Does the scanner beep when you scan a barcode? If it does it recognises the code but maybe cannot transmit to the tester. If the is the case I can explain how to setup the barcode scanner correctly for the Megger PAT4.

Quote:
also i notice on here that the factory reset gives options for testing a pc but the range of levels is strange i understand the guidlines as laid out in edition 4 but the test is way out or so it seems it wants to run a visual/ continuity and insulation resistance tests but it advises in the CoP not to do an insulation test on sensitive it equipment and replace it with touch current measurement.

The PAT4 has various default test codes (group codes) built in to it, however you can make your own and decide which tests, and which limits you want to set. The PAT4 being an older machine I beleive can only test at 500 Volts on an Insulation test and this can cause issues when testing some equipment particularly surge protected devices and IT kit.

For PC's and other IT kit you can do an Earth continuity test at 200mA rather than at 10A or 25A that you might do a Earth Bond test on a kettle or similar.

The Megger PAT4 doesn't have the ability to do a sub leakage test (one done at lower voltage, typically 40V and then mathematically calculated as though done at 240V)

I hope some of our user's who own a PAT4 will help you out on here. It is worth experimenting with the tester to get familiar with it, especially the group codes.

There is a little program I have written to show you the group codes on your tester and how they are set up:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=426

If you are not a SimplyPats user, you may need to download and install our demo software so that the utility will work. You can download the utility from the forum.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:45 pm 

Hello Richard
many thanks for the quick reply and apolagies on my part for the delay as im unable to get to pc some evenings.
I can confirm it was purchased second hand but hardly used and from a genuine seller with the barcode scanner,printer,powersuite software(but no registration key) so i will look into the demo on here for simplypats.all calibration certs and original receipt of sale and all seems to work fine, but the barcode scannner beeps and seems to recognise the barcode on the label but the pat4 does not register it, even on the asset id screen prompt,printer prints a perfect label. the barcode scanner is a datalogic touch65. The pat 4 has a perfect connection with my pc running windows xp and megger download manager works fine although i use that as data storage only.
I must specify that its my own equipment im testing at the moment and i have a fairly good knowlege of electrics but some of the readings on the pat4 dv/3 are quite complex. Having spent time experimenting its starting to get easier to use i have noticed the group codes and if you go into the edit option it allows me to see the setting set for that device.
Many thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi uksrevivor

Quote:
the barcode scannner beeps and seems to recognise the barcode on the label but the pat4 does not register it

There are a couple of reasons why your scanner may not be working. If the RS232 (9 pin serial) end has been soldered by the scanner provider it is possible the data pin has come unsoldered. If the end is moulded then this is unlikely.

It is possible that the scanner needs reseting. This can be done quite easily if you download the PDF manual from Datalogic for the Touch 65. I will PM you some notes on how to do this.

Regards, Richard