SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: barcode pen
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 pm 

Has any one used or even got a pen type barcode reader to work with a megger pat4 dv3 as i need to replace the scanner on this tester and wondered if they would be a little more durable ?

or should i just get a low cost serial barcode reader im guessing it will need a rewire for conection to the megger.

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance john

A.H Electrical Services
Leicestershire

Post subject: Re: barcode pen
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 am 
Site Admin

I would personally go for one of the hand held EPOS scanners John, i think we have one or two in the office that will be fine for your Megger PAT4.

Im sure Lorna would be more than happy to make up a cable and program it to your requirements if needed, give us a call in the morning for more information if you are interested.

Carl

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John

As Carl says, you are probably better off with a barcode scanner rather than a pen. Scanning barcodes with a pen can be very fiddly especially if the barcode is in a hard to access place.

The cheap proximity scanners which most of the PAT tester manufacturer's re badge and supply are ok but also can be fiddly for the same reasons as the barcode pen. If you are doing alot of testing it may be worth investing just a bit more in using a scanner that scans at distance. The Megger PAT4 works really well with a barcode scanner.

It's also investing in one of these Right Angle Adaptors:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=447&p=1408&hilit=right+angle#p1408

This helps protect the Serial Port and Scanner plug where it goes into the Megger PAT4 by changing the orientation of the socket by 90 degrees.

As Carl says
Quote:
Im sure Lorna would be more than happy to make up a cable and program it to your requirements if needed, give us a call in the morning for more information if you are interested.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:52 pm 

Hi guys thanks for the input ill just replace the broken scanner on the pat4 not to bothered about the range as tester need to be near enough to test the apliance and most scanners do up to 50-70 cm i think.
Any brand of scanner to avoid ?

as for the right angled serial adapter it looks like it could put more strain on the serial port if pulled
i have right angle usb extensions on my pat 450 that i secured to the side of the case as the scanner on that was always pulling out just enought to stop it scanning or putting strain on the plug.
id sooner break a 3 quid ebay lead than the port in the tester.

Cheers John

A.H Electrical Services
Leicestershire