SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:28 pm 

THe Megger PAT 400 Series Printer Option.

Hi all

Just thought I would speak about the printer option for your nice new shiny Megger PAT 400. I have just taken delivery of a PAT 420 which I firstly must say now having the latest firm ware update this is a formidable bit of kit. This latest update allows the user / PAT to be more streamlined during testing, allowing the PAT to carry out the mundane tasks such as next asset ID at a touch of a button.

But one option that is not really commented / documented is the option of purchasing a small standalone label printer. The one that Megger list on their site and documentation is the Brother P-Touch 2430PC (this printer cost me about £63.00 Inc. VAT and P&P from the web).
The printer is battery or mains operated, batteries being 6 x AA’s or mains via the included power adapter. This printer I believe prints on various types of media from 6mm wide to 24mm wide. The one I have purchased and also came with this package is the 24mm wide laminated black on white (TZ-251). You can purchase various colour options with prices varying from £10.00 to £20.00, all depending on the size required and where you look.

Set up is very easy , no software to install, just plug it in using the supplied USB cable into one of the USB slots on the PAT and the other end into the printer,with the switch on the printer set to computer mode, ensure the toggle switch is pushed all the way down, or you will get an error message on the PAT saying “printer not connected” and that’s it, ready to rock n roll.

When you’ve carried out a test using the Megger PAT 400, you have the option to print and save on the large PAT colour screen, (one button) press the button and as quick as a flash the label is spat out having the following details from the top. (see photo)

Company Name, -This is pulled from the user information when you firstly set up your PAT
Telephone No; - This is an option you can inset within the PAT settings, it could be anything but it make good sense to use it for your contact number.
The bar code; -This is automatically generated by the PAT based on you asset number.
Asset ID; - again generated by your PAT.
Test Date; - well don’t have to explain this, as this is again auto inserted from the input data you've insert during the test
Test Date Due; - nor this!
And last of all the status Pass/Fail

All this is auto inserted.

All this on an excellent quality resistant label measuring approximately 24mm x 40mm (but the overall size really depends on the asset ID due to the barcode being generated and printed). All finished by cutting the label off automatically really to attach to the asset.

Now for the down side!!

There is now real place in which to insert / hold the printer, so it’s really next to the PAT on the desk! The over dimensions are (L)190mm x (H) 110mm x (W)65mm.

The real bug is that every time you print a label out it spits out about a 20mm length of un-used label, which in my mind makes it a very wasteful. This issue reduces overall quantity from about 160ish labels from one cartridge, instead of a possible 300 or so. I have just spoken to Megger Support about this and really it is a printer issue, as the printer requires to spits out enough to allow both the label to clear the printer head and the cutter within. This is great shame as this could be a very good solution in deciding your labelling options.

So summing this up, it is still viable option, with the label quality being excellent, a very good size for those customers which insist on a discrete labelling system such as hoteliers etc. and finally regarding speed / time printer this is a no brainer.

Hope you find this useful

Cheers

Steve. 8)
Attachment:
File comment: Brother P-Touch 2430 Printer, leads, and software (not used)
Brother Printer a.jpg
Brother Printer a.jpg [ 32.95 KiB | Viewed 6032 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Inside the Brother P- Touch Printer with the AA batteries and cartridge installed
Brother Printer b.jpg
Brother Printer b.jpg [ 23.35 KiB | Viewed 6031 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Label printed out using the 24mm laminated media, overall label size 24mm x 40mm, Part of the telephone has been blacked out for use on the web.
Brother Printer 005.jpg
Brother Printer 005.jpg [ 37.86 KiB | Viewed 6031 times ]

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 pm 

I have the same set up as above and all was well until an hour ago.

For some reason, the PAT420 is now claiming that the printer is not connected (despite it being obviously so).
I have tested the usb ports on the tester by using a data stick to back up the data (which was successful) and I have connected the printer to my PC using the same lead that I use with the tester and that was successful.
Any ideas as to what may be going on?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

We have had a quick look at our Megger PAT 420 and cannot see anything obvious such as menu options etc.

You may want to get Megger a quick call, they may know of a quick fix if its a know issue (such as a Firmware update).

As a last resort, there is always a factory reset.... But I would only perform this after contacting the manufacturer first and talking it through with them.