SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 am 
Site Admin

Checking Megger PAT4 DV3 Group Codes

I had an interesting conversation with a PAT tester today regarding the Megger PAT4 Dv3 and how to check the group codes (test codes) on that machine. He said it would be good if a program could show the current group code settings.

Megger have recently released a brand new range of PAT testers (PAT 410, PAT 420 and PAT 450) and it's really easy to see what test limits have been applied. Whilst doing the testing, the colour display shows shows the results and limits whilst you undertake the tests. This is a great improvement on the older Megger PAT4.

However, for over 10 years having talked with many Megger PAT4 users, they have often mentioned finding it hard to check what Group Codes (test codes) they have created and what pass / fail limits they have applied to each test code on the PAT4.

I have spent a few hours tonight writing a program that will load in the Temp PAT4 Download.txt file created when downloading a Megger PAT4 into SimplyPats V5 or V6, or a Megger ASC file created from their Download Manager Software (tm) and show all the Group Codes and their respective limits.

The program still needs some tidying up, but is essentially finished. I will make it freely available for users on this forum in the next couple of days. You do not need to have SimplyPats to make use of this program, however if you are not a SimplyPats user then you will need to install the SimplyPats demo in order for this Group Code checking program to work as it uses some of the components used by SimplyPats.

The program doesn't currently display Flash Lmits, and neither does it load files produced by the non DV3 Version of the Megger PAT4. Howver I can add both of these features if asked.

Richard.

Attachments:
File comment: Megger PAT4 Dv3 Group Codes
megger_pat4_group_codes.jpg
megger_pat4_group_codes.jpg [ 103.35 KiB | Viewed 3910 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:24 pm 

Hi Richard
That's what i call service, but i can't see you smiling too much at 2am, did you have the match stick firmly in place?
This is a great asset for Megger PAT4 DV3 user, enabling the engineer to periodically check limits against the CofP or clients requirements, indicating what the testing is actually set at. I personally believe is the only minor issue I have with this tester, but hay it is one of the most preferred testers out there for professional use, bearing in mind this testing is over 10 years old and still going strong, and now only just being updated by the 400 series.

Great stuff Richard, and look forward using this in the future.

Just one last question, are you able to set the limits using this program, or is it for information purposes.

Steve. :D :D :D :D

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:42 pm 

Hi Richard

I have now downloaded and used this great asset program, and to be honest that's all we need, i think just to be able to display your settings under a single screen is just what the doctor ordered. This then allows the user to identify a single / multiple setting and allow the user then to go straight to the setting and change if required, rather than trawl through the rather lumpy menu.
So the option as we discussed previously about being able to set the defaults by using this program is not really required, and can be easily changed on the tester. But for a company with multi amounts of testers this could be beneficial ensuring that all their testers are matching with the correct settings

But if you don't have much to do in the early hours!!!! :lol:

Steve.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve - Glad the program is working as intended. I will have to PM some of the other guys that use the Megger PAT4 DV3 as it may be of interest to them also.

Quote:
But for a company with multi amounts of testers this could be beneficial ensuring that all their testers are matching with the correct settings

Yes, couple of things here, we deal with a couple of firms, one of which has ay least 60 Megger PAT4 DV3s and another that is a bit smaller. One of the great things about this PAT tester is that the tester limits get uploaded when you upload asset data back to the tester. If you have a set of checked settings, this set can alwyas be uploaded back to the tester at any time to ensure the tester is set correctly.

For SimplyPats users, once you are sure you have got all your PAT4 limits set correctly, do a download into Simpltpats and keep the Temp PAT4 Download.txt file (c:\program files\simplypats 6\temp\Temp PAT4 Download.txt ) Put it in a safe place on a CD or a memory stick or another folder on your PC.

When SimplyPats does an upload, it reads the last Temp PAT4 Download.txt to get the Group Code Test that are then uploaded back to the PAT.

By using this file - all testers within an organisation can ensure they all have the same settings. And for indivuals, if you feel you have inadvertently changed any limits, you set your tester back to your defaults.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Just as an update to this thread,

We have made this utility available free of charge in our utilities section on the forum. Please follow the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=575

Hope you find it useful, any please let us know any issues or comments.

Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:20 pm 

Hi Simply PAT's Team

Can you tell me if this option is availble for the New PAT 400 series :?:

cheers

Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi steve,

Not as yet, however a program to display the Megger PAT 400 series test codes is very possible.

It is kinda a bit more complicated as the data stored in the Megger PAT420 is in a database format that is not as easy to read in SimplyPats as the Megger PAT4 Data is.

When I or Lorna get 5 minutes we will have a look at how difficult to be to write a little utility the same as for the Megger PAT4 to display and print the test codes.

If anyone else is interested in such a utility, please let us know.

Regards, Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:57 pm 

Hi Richard

Many thanks for the reply; I think that this was a great asset and easy option to be able to view your Tester's settings in conjuction with the PAT 4 DV3 at a glance. If this option was available for the 400 series, well it would just wonderful :D
I know that the new Megger's display is far better but you still have to troll through the various screens. But with this widget it's all under one page.

Just Brilliant.

Steve.