SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

We are seeing more and more users wishing to use the Megger PAT4 with SimplyPats. I really like the Megger PAT4, it may be an older PAT test machine but it's seems to me a really quick PAT tester out in the field.

The PAT tester does store information in a very different way to some of the other PAT tester machines on the market. This is not an issue with SimplyPats but it can be rather confusing to some users.

At the moment the 1st line of the current Client information from the Megger PAT4 is stored in the SIte field in SimplyPats. The first line of the current Site information from the Megger PAT4 is stored in the location.

The Room Id field in the Megger PAT4 can onlly be assigned to the Notes field in SimplyPats.

I am thinking of adding another option in SimplyPats to allow the Room Id field on the Megger PAT4 to be stored in the Location field in SimplyPats. This has a couple of advantages when using the Megger PAT4 and SimplyPats.

1) You won't have to sign out of the current site on the Megger PAT4 when you move between locations when testing a site.

2) There are a maximum of 20 sites you can put in the Megger PAT4 whereas the number of Room Id's is only limited to the maximum number of tests (1000).

Richard

Post subject: Re: Megger PAT Locations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 pm 

Sounds exactly what we need Simplypats to do. I presume that 'Locations' could then be uploaded back to the Room ID field in the PAT4?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Megger PAT Locations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi trdl thanks for your post.

Yep I've already had a look at this in regard to looking at your data and beleive it won't be too difficult a change to put in place. I should have something done by early next week. (August 2010) I will ask Carl to send you an interim build of the free upgrade 6.0.2 when I have completed it and done some initial testing on it.

I will have to have a look at the upload - but certainly the same flag to use room id's for locations on download could be used to put the locations in simplypats back into the room id on the pat 4.

I have just taken our Megger PAT4 off the shelf to check that when you enter a room id it remembers that room id when you do the next test, fortunately it does.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi trdl

Just an update to this thread. I have completed the work on using Room Id's in the Megger PAT4 for locations in SimplyPats.

Everything appears to be working fine and will also work when importing the raw download files (.asc) created by Megger's Powersuite program.

I have added the functionality to ensure the SimplyPats locations are uploaded back to the PAT tester's Room Id' field. This also appears to work although it will need some thorough testing.

It is worth noting that the Megger PAT4 Room Id field can contain a maximum of 10 characters, whereas the SimplyPats location field can be 30 plus characters. At the moment I am uploading the fist 10 characters of the SimplyPats location. (I.e the SimplyPats location gets truncated.)

Hope this makes sense - I will ask Carl to modify the downloadable guide on how best to use the Megger PAT4 with SimplyPats.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:25 am 

HI Richard

I have started converting our old Powersuite Results into the SimplyPats software. So far everything is going well and the new beta version is doing exactly what we need it to do.

Many thanks for your help

Steve
TRDL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 am 

Hi Richard

I have just hit a snag.

I have just tried to upload a file to the PAT tester that was downloaded with the Beta version. I obviously want the Location to go back to the Room ID; however this file has a large amount of ‘Room ID’ so I now get the error ‘Your selected tests contain too many locations. Maximum of……’

The tests I have done up until now have had less than 20 locations, so it has not been an issue. What I need is for the error not to happen if the ‘Use Room id on Pat4 for Location’ box is ticked.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve
TRDL

Post subject: Megger PAT4 Upload
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

Oooops! Yep I have obviously left the check in that stops more than 20 locations being uploaded. Now you can use the Room Id's for the locations I will have to remove the check in that case. Sorry about that - I will sort that out straight away.

At some stage it might be useful for you to make a copy of the Temp PAT4 Download file that is created in your temp folder in SimplyPats. When you upload back into the PAT tester, SimplyPats uses the last temp download file to get the group code settings (the test limits and test times) to put back into the PAT. Its a good idea to make sure you know which settings are being used especially if you have more than 1 engineer testing.

Hope this makes sense, if not give me a bell and I'll run through it.

regards, Richard.