SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Printers for PT300
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 am 

Sooooooo I have got myself a PT300 and before purchasing this unit I had asked about the connectivity of accessories and devices to it. I was under the impression that I would be able to connect any EPL compatible printer with bluetooth to this unit, and print out the labels, provided they are loaded with the corresponding EPL forms.

The further delving I do, I am under the impression no one wants to share this info and we are forced to purchase seaward rebranded printer. This follows along the same lines at the PATGAURD software which is the only software that will allow uploading of assets to the device, but other than that, is honestly from my opinion the most awlful piece of software to use. Just to create a simple report is frustrating and I come from an IT software engineering background!

Anyway in reference to the printer, it is of my understanding that the firmware is programmed with several label layouts which have a specific name. The EPL compatible printer is loaded with these layouts and the device only sends the raw parameter data and the form/label name that the parameters will parse to.

I could possibly get these forms by backing up a printer firmware and extracting the form data, but would of thought the information would be more freely available. I ultimatly want to change the format and layout of the label so it prints in a different direction/layout to suit specific labels I am using. At this stage I am looking at forms for the zebra portable printers, the QL420, RW420 etc

Any assistance appreciated.

TEX

Post subject: Re: Printers for PT300
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tex

Quote:
Sooooooo I have got myself a PT300 and before purchasing this unit I had asked about the connectivity of accessories and devices to it. I was under the impression that I would be able to connect any EPL compatible printer with bluetooth to this unit, and print out the labels, provided they are loaded with the corresponding EPL forms.

The further delving I do, I am under the impression no one wants to share this info and we are forced to purchase seaward rebranded printer.

Unfortunately we do not have any information that will help you, however you are certainly not alone with regards to wanting to use a compatible Bluetooth printer with your Seaward PrimeTest 300 (or 350 for that matter).

Quote:
I am under the impression no one wants to share this info and we are forced to purchase seaward rebranded printer.

Yes, unfortunately this is all too common with manufacturers but not specific to Seaward products. I suppose having branded products and consumables specific to their PAT tester is great for customers that want a solution that is “plug and play” while offering guaranteed support for the products they purchase, however it can be frustrating for those that are more knowledgeable when it comes to software, hardware and IT, especially when they want to put the effort into researching a solution together with the option of purchasing 3rd party hardware, software and consumables.

Quote:
This follows along the same lines at the PATGAURD software which is the only software that will allow uploading of assets to the device, but other than that, is honestly from my opinion the most awlful piece of software to use. Just to create a simple report is frustrating and I come from an IT software engineering background!

While I have used Seawards flagship PAT Guard 2 Elite software I don’t think it would be right to comment openly about the software. Again, I am sure it is frustrating for customers who are forced to purchase PAT Guard Elite just to have full compatibility for their PrimeTest 300 or 350, even more so for those that have other PAT testers from other manufacturers that are not supported by PAT Guard, meaning they are then in the position of using two or more software solutions to manage PAT Data from their PAT Testers.

I will unashamedly plug SimplyPats at this point, as it is compatible with over 38 downloading PAT Testers, including the PrimeTest 300 and 350 via ASCII download format (upload not supported at this time). The ability for us not to offer full support for the PrimeTest 300 or 350 is also extremely frustrating as this puts us in the position of not being able to totally recommend these particular PAT Testers when new or existing customers contact us for advice, we therefore have no other option but to recommend products from Metrel or Megger for instance, although i would add that we do have a very large number of Seaward PrimeTest 300 and 350 customers that are quite happy with the current support for the tester.

Quote:
Anyway in reference to the printer, it is of my understanding that the firmware is programmed with several label layouts which have a specific name. The EPL compatible printer is loaded with these layouts and the device only sends the raw parameter data and the form/label name that the parameters will parse to.

I could possibly get these forms by backing up a printer firmware and extracting the form data, but would of thought the information would be more freely available. I ultimatly want to change the format and layout of the label so it prints in a different direction/layout to suit specific labels I am using. At this stage I am looking at forms for the zebra portable printers, the QL420, RW420 etc

Any assistance appreciated.

As mentioned above, im sorry we can not offer more assistance on this matter, perhaps Seaward have a utility that will allow you to edit the pre-designed templates?

Im sure other forum members would be interested to hear any outcome on this subject, so please follow this post up with any new information as you get it.

Regards Carl