SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 pm 

Hello all,

I'm new to the whole PAT testing stuff but I find myself qualified this week with a nice new Seaward Europa tester and SimplyPats v6.03 software. I'm getting on really well with this and I'm very happy with the results/prints from the software but my question (which is probably incredibly simple) is...

Where do I put the Serial number of the item I'm testing on the Seaward tester so that it automatically populates the Serial number field on the SimplyPats software? Are there any other fields that I can fill in which will auto populate the SimplyPats software (charges, chargetype, etc, etc)... where do I enter those on the Seaward tester?

I'm fairly cetain that this information is somewhere in a manual but I can't find it :(

So... any advice, help, encouragement, sympathy or professional sarcasm will be greatly received. :D

Thanks

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:32 pm 

Oh! One more thing...

I can't seem to do 110v load tests with this tester... is this correct?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

Currently in simplyPats the comments fields are used as follows:

Line 1 populates the Appliance Description field in Simplypats
Line 2 populates the Notes field in Simplypats
Line 3 populates the Charge and repair Codes field in Simplypats
Line 4 populates the Fail Reason field in Simplypats

We do not have many users who wish to record the serial numbers of the appliances as the appliance id you give the appliance is generally the unique identifier of the appliance. Also appliances often have multiple serial numbers on them which makes deciding which to use a bit difficult.

PAT testing contractors also very seldom record the appliance serial numbers as this takes a prohibitively long time. If you are testing in house and have a requirement to store the appliance serial number then we could look at modifying the simplypats download so that the 2nd comments line on the Europa could be used to store the serial number.

Some other PAT testers of course have a dedicated field to store the appliance serial number e.g. the Megger PAT4 and PAT400 Series testers, this data automatically goes into the appliance serila number field in SimplyPats.

Have you started testing in earnest yet? If so what have you put in each of the comments lines? If you havent started testing yet you may wish to record the appliance serial number in Line 2 of the comments field and we will make a modification for you to get this data into the appliance serial number field in simplyapts.

Your second question regarding running 110 volt kit to do a load test, I believe you have to power the europa off a 110 supply in order to do a 110 run test. Please ring our support number or post further on here if we can provide more information on the serial number issue.

Glad you are getting on ok generally with the simplypats software and your new seaward europa pat tester.

regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 pm 

Thanks for the quick response Richard.

The Code of practise specifically states that the serial number should be stored in both the equipment register and the test record. I know by saying "should" this means I don't have to do it... but it is recommended. I do appreciate that some equipment (extension leads, etc) won't have this information but the type of equipment I work with all have serial numbers which I'd like to store.

So... if possible I would like to use line 2 for the serial number of the device I am testing. I haven't started testing yet but once I do I'll ensure that ALL serial numbers are stored in line 2.

Thank you your help and advice.

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rob

Quote:
So... if possible I would like to use line 2 for the serial number of the device I am testing. I haven't started testing yet but once I do I'll ensure that ALL serial numbers are stored in line 2.

Yes, if you do this, when you come to download, give me a shout and I will make sure we have something in place to move the appliance serial numbers from the notes field into the Appliance Serial number field within SimplyPats.

Have fun testing!

Regards, Richard