SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 pm 

First post so any help would be appreciated.

My question is..
Can any RS232 interface barcode scanner be used with the Seaward Europa plus tester or do you have to get a specific scanner programmed by Seaward?
Most of the barcode scanners available seem to be able to be programmed for different interfaces, barcode etc, so what settings do Seaward use?

The barcode readers we use at present need replacing, they must be over 10yrs old and are becoming increasingly erratic, but the scanners from Seaward seem to be very expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Addengos,

I hope you have received the long technical explanation of setting up barcode scanners to use with various pat testers and the wiring and programming issues involved that I pm'd to you.

To anyone else reading this topic, it is possible to purchase 3rd party scanners and rewire and program them to work with various PAT testers. However it's quite a complex and time consuming process.

I would certainly recommend buying through an authorised distributor or direct from the manufacturer as for small voulmes i think the money you might save would be offset by the time taken to do them yourselves.

Of course if you have several scanners that need replacing it might be worth investigating further.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:45 pm 

Hi all
I bought a metrologic blue tooth scanner to work with my new Seaward primetest 350 in the naive belief that as a blue tooth it would connect and work!!! I now understand that Seaward move the goal posts so that it is difficult to use anything that isnt bought from them ! anybody help with how to configure this scanner to work ???
I can get the Primetest to find the bluetooth scanner it just wont receive the incoming data
thanks

Ratty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ratty

I have not spent alot of time looking at the Bluetooth Scanners with the Primetest 300 or 350, however decided to take a couple of hours out to see if I could understand how they work with these PAT testers.

Unfortunately I dont have a blue tooth scanner available, but by programming a Serial to Bluetooth adapter I have managed to get the adapter to talk to the Primetest 350 via bluetooth.

It should be possible to get your metrologic blue tooth scanner to work, especially after you have got it paired with the Primetest 350. I will PM (Personal Mesage) you the settings that you will need to check / change on the Bluetooth Scanner.

Once you have set these up, you will also need to make sure that in addition to the scanner being paired in the Bluetooth favourites but that also you have told the Primtest 350 to be able to accept data comming in via the Bluetooth Scanner. (this last part had me going around in circles for an hour or so!)

Menu (F4), User Options, Preferences, Data Entry (should be set to barcode)

Im not sure what barcdodes you are scanning, if they are standard PAT testing labels, they are most likely to be in a format your barcode scanner will recognise e.g. 3 of 9 or code 128 without having to do anymore reprogramming of the bluetooth scanner.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:01 am 

Hi,

Would it be possible if you could PM me the same information,

Thank you for your time !

Richard (another one !)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Richard

Sorry for the delay in replying, been out of the office yesterday. I have had a look for the document I pm'd Ratty 6 months ago but can't seem to find it! :oops:

However, if you let me know what tester and what barcode scanner you are using I will check our folders to see if we can help further.

Regards Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay, I need to alter my notify settings!
Seaward IT 1000
Datalogic Touch 65

Rgds

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Richard

Haven't tried attaching scanner to the IT 1000 however we have an IT1000 here and also a Datalogic Touch 65.

Ill just power it up and see if I can quickly work out the settings.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:51 pm 

Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Richard

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this post.

Lorna and i have been wiring up a scanner for the IT1000 however despite the output of 5vd DC from the serial port (which is standard across most PAT test machines) we cant get our scanner to power up. We have however managed to configure the data parameters for the scanner.

We will have to do some more investigation, unless anyone else can shed some light on why the configuration of the pins for the power supply of this scanner is different to most other testers?

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:59 am 

I read somewhere about a psu issue with this tester loosing its 5v supply

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:43 pm 

Sorry for the delay.. been a busy bunny but I got the DL scanner working,
The problem with the IT1000 is with the supply filter it causes I think a charge pump effect,
the scanner doesnt like it and fails to boot,
solution is either to apply an external 5v supply to the appropriate pins
or you can remove the lid panel, its a sticker that needs to be peeled off carefully,
unscrew and remove the perspex cover
locate R102 and solder a wire across it to bridge,
Your scanner will now power up,
configure to
default rs232 then 2 stop bits and finally 99 character delay

Done! Rich.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Hi Rich

You have been busy!

Thanks for this post I’m sure there are a few people who have been pulling their hair out over this – it was driving us mad.

Regards,
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:54 pm 

Hello
I have acquired a barcode reader that was previously used with a Robin SmartPat 5500. I hope to use it with a Seaward Europa Plus. From the discussions above it would appear that the chances of it working without modification are remote. I am reluctant to try it without some reassurance that I'm not going to cause damage to the equipment. The reader is a Datalogic Touch 65 Light Wedge-RS232, fitted with a CAB389 serial cable. Comments would be very welcome. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi derbeian,

To use the Datalogic Touch 65 with your Europa + you will need to re-program the scanner to the following:

Baud rate: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None (N)
Stop Bits: 2

This link will take you to the Datalogic download page where you can find the user manual and programming guide for the scanner:

http://www.adc.datalogic.com/en/bar-code/handhelds/touch-65-90-pro_psc_prd161_1.html

The Datalogic Touch (65 & 90), if correctly programmed, will work with the Seaward Europa + using a standard CAB-350 cable.

I spoke to Datalogic to get information about the CAB-389 cable which you have and they have confirmed that the pin arrangement is the same as the CAB-350 but that the CAB-389 has been specifically manufactured for the retail BEETLE POS.

Providing your CAB-389 has not had the pin arrangement reconfigured then it should accept the power on pin 9 and work the same as the CAB-350 although I can’t be 100% sure as I don’t have the cable here to test.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Lorna