SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Primetest 300 User
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:24 pm 

I have been using my Primetest 300 for some months now and to be honest I'm not really a fan of this model. I run this along with a Europa + and I much prefer to use the older model. I thought the 300 was going to greatly improve my testing times but I find it takes longer than my old Europa +. The mains lead on the primetest is far too stiff and could do with a soft flexible cable with more length to improve things. Also the keyboard would be much better if it was in QWERTY format. The machine is battery powered so why it doesn't run from the mains when the lead is attached is a failure in my opinion.I find the delay in the machine while entering data is very frustrating, I expected that when you select an item and enter the info that it would be instantaineous but the annoying delay puts me off my stride. The simply PATs software works well with the machine once you get used to entering the data in the correct column. I'm using V5 at the moment but will be updating to V6 as soon as I get round to it. These are my personal thoughts on the Primetest 300 but they may be of use to someone thinking of purchasing one, a good machine but spoilt with some annoying set backs.

Post subject: Re: Primetest 300 User
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dave570b

Thank you for your comments on the Seaward PrimeTest 300. It would be nice to see more posts from users regarding their likes/dislikes of various testers.

We don’t actually get involved in actual PAT Testing, but obviously use the Testers from time to time when testing new features added to SimplyPats or offering support to our users.

It’s nice to see some constructive comments on a PAT Tester from an actual engineer using the PAT Tester in the real world, im sure that other people will find your comments helpful.

As mentioned, we don’t get to use the PAT Testers very often, however as far as the Seaward PrimeTest 300 and PrimeTest 350 go I would be inclined to agree with your comments on the decision of not including a QWERTY keyboard.

The standard ABC layout of the keyboard in my opinion is too slow to use when you are used to typing on a PC or Smart Phone and can be very frustrating to use for this reason, saying that people that don’t have much interaction with the QUERTY layout may find it ok.

Regarding your comment about SimplyPats working well with the PrimeTest, we are hoping to include the PrimeTest 300 and 350 as well all the other testers included in the PATsPlus Download utility into a future update of the SimplyPats Version 6 software, we are currently in the process of re-designing the System Settings screen.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 pm 

I am a Primetest 300 user who also uses the Europa +. I am having difficulties in connecting to my lap top via the Blue Tooth dongle. I get the error message 0x80070015, any microsoft people out there that can help? I am running windows 7 & simply pats 6.

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:36 pm 

Copy and paste this error code into google and it will give you an idea of where to look for a solution. Have you ever had a successful connection via the bluetooth dongle as I remember when I first tried mine out of the box. The dongle supplied would not connect to my PC but luckily I had another (non Belkin) dongle which did allow me access. I hope this helps as I know how frustrating these connections can be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Harry

Please give Roger or myself a call at your convenience, we have had a few users with Seaward PrimeTest 300/350 Bluetooth setup issues that have been resolved. In almost all cases the PrimeTest is not to blame, its normally the Bluetooth Device used or should i say a Driver or Configuration issue.

I believe the error message 0x80070015 refers to Device Not Ready, this may point to a Driver, install or compatibility issue, however we can check this over the phone or by remote access.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dave, thanks for your input, you posted as i was typing ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:35 pm 

Hi Dave, Carl,

Well I have tried all manner of things to no avail, but thank you all the same. Carl can you please advise how long Version 5 is to remain as I may have to resort to downloading to my desk top using V5 then email to my laptop. My other option will be to load V6 on to my desk top wher I am running XP?

regards

Harry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Harry

Did you try another Bluetooth adaptor as we discussed during our recent conversation?

I know you have said that you have tried everything, but did this include downloading the latest drivers for your Bluetooth dongle?

If you have managed to get it installed using the latest drivers, there are also other things to look at like setting up and configuring the Serial Port for the Bluetooth dongle, this is normally done from the Bluetooth management software installed with the device.

If you really have had enough and want to resort to the Laptop/PC solution, then I think in this case we would happily let you run your version 6 software on both PC’s, send me an email with the Licence Key if you need to do this.

As for Version 5, im sure we will be supporting it for another year.

As always Harry, give us a call if you would like us to have a look at the Bluetooth install via Remote Access, we may be able to sort it out for you.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Harry

Further to my last post above, we have decided to order in a few Belkin Bluetooth dongles. These are compatible with Windows 7 and download data from the PrimeTest 300/350 after configuration.

When we get them delivered we will be sending one out to you in the hope that this will solve your problem.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:07 am 

Thanks Carl, also many thanks for your time trying to resolve my problem & will give you a call for round two,

many thanks again

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 am 
Site Admin

No problem Harry, i think we will try uninstalling the Bluetooth device and start from scratch.

Just give me a call when you are free.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:24 am 

Hi Carl,
Just to update you, I contacted Seward re the Bluetooth connection & the gave me a link to Amazon & a bluetooth dongle, (£1.98) each. I managed to gert this installed but still have no luck with the primetest connecting. I am running windows 7/ 64 bit. Do you think this may be the problem?

Regards

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Harry

We are going to send one of our Bluetooth adaptors out to you anyway (FOC), give me a call when you get it and I will use remote access to install it.

If this doesn’t work we will be running out of options.

Yes, the fact that you have 64bit Windows 7 may certainly make a difference regarding Drivers. These may be specific and not all manufactures have produced Drivers for this OS especially when using older devices (new models will generally be shipped with them).

You could try calling Seaward and ask if they can assist installing the Bluetooth dongle they recommended you use.

Either way im putting one in the post today.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:59 pm 

Hi Carl,
Thanks for that, I am away for a couple of days in East Anglia & London but will give you a call on my return. I will also give Seward a call for some further assistance if they are willing to help.

Regards

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Hi Harry

No problem, just give me a call when you are ready.

You should also have the Bluetooth dongle that we sent out by now.

Regards Carl