SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bar code reader
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:43 am 

I have just purchased a second hand metrel betapat 2141, it came with a barcode reader and card with barcodes for various appliances, to make the testing quicker when in autotest shortcut, but the reader does not read the codes for the appliances, on contacting the seller i was told this machine does not read the barcodes, but in the user manual it says use the reader, can anybody put me right on this.
regards Peter

Post subject: Re: Bar code reader
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

The BetaPAT definitely does accept barcodes and I think I’m right in saying that the only barcode inputs it will accept is the Appliance ID & Autotest Test Code.

Can you tell me what information is on the cards – is it an appliance id or is it a test code?

Also what make and model is the barcode scanner?

Does the scanner have any power (can you see any lights on) when you are trying to scan the cards?

The first thing that comes to mind is that the scanner may not be correctly programmed for the METREL tester. This is not something you can easily change as it requires special software depending on the make of the scanner.

Also the scanner cable may not be wired correctly for the METREL testers. If you can; check the pin-put of the cable and compare it to the wiring info that I’ve PM’d you.

Regards,
Lorna

Post subject: Re: Bar code reader
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:54 pm 

Hi Peter,

Going by the time and date you joined the SP forum and the time of your posting on this subject I am making the assumption that you are either in NZ or Aust. If so send me a private message and I will send you some contact details on who may be able to assist, whether it is in Aust or NZ.

I have just returned from a Safety Show where I was working on a Trade display stand where we were promoting the Alpha, Beta and Sigma Pats and in particular the ability of all machines to use a scanner. Lorna is correct in mentioning that the scanners do provide limited information on the screen of your Beta Pat at the time of scanning an earlier affixed tag. However, I understand that some of the missing details are filled in (completed) when you merge your current file with a previous file (when using Simply Pats). You will still need to manually enter the site and location details.

You also need to make sure you have connected the scanner to the correct port on the machine. The connection port should be marked on the machine.

I have a scanner with my Alpha Pat but don't use it because I think it is somewhat time consuming to use considering information still has to be entered manually anyway.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Glenn
(Glenfer)