SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: pat testing accessories
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:27 am 

I am Looking for the cheapest and safest way to aquire the various test leads for my megger 420.
Even the parts to wire up are expensive.
e.g. clover , parallel, 20A plug, 3 phase and a plug to test class 1 fixed appliances like hot water cylinders
ovens, etc.( I was thinking a 3 pin plug with 3 heavy insulated croc clips?)
Regards BoneDry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:43 am 

Hi Bonedry,

I have noticed that you have recently joined the forum.

I assume that you live in Australia or New Zealand considering you have placed your request under the Australian New Zealand Section within the forum. Considering the login name you have created I also assume you live in Australia.

Unless AS/NZS 3760-2010 Clause 1.1.6 has changed in recent times, the testing of any fixed wired items, including single phase and 3-phase electrical equipment is exempt from being tested. All you can do is perform a visual test and tag the equipment accordingly. The testing of fixed wired equipment requires some disassembly and should be carried out by a suitably qualified person. The Standard also clearly states this. I know a member of the Standards Committee and I am not aware of any new or intended changes.

The testing of 3-phase equipment that is powered though a flexible lead that can be removed from a wall socket is a totally different kettle of fish. There are ways and means of doing it, depending on the brand and model of your test equipment.

Unfortunately there should be no compromise on the type of test fittings you use. The only compromise is where to purchase at the lowest cost. It is unfortunate this becomes an overhead cost. My strong recommendation is not to make up a "dodgy Heath Robinson" adaptor lead as you have suggested as it could create problems for you and or your client which then falls back on you through your Public Liability or Professional Indemnity Insurances.

For the testing of other types of leads as mentioned in your original posting, several adaptor plugs and or leads are also required which also become part of your business overheads.

Send me your contact details as a personal message through the forum so that I can make contact with you outside the forum with the intention of advising you where I acquired these so called "adaptors"

Glenn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:24 pm 

hi,
thanks for the advice on the ovens. I have set up the megger for a visual test already
but the check to ensure that I haven't missed the obvious is more than helpful.
Although dusty and dirty the contacts are sure and steadfast.
regards.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:34 pm 

You see a lot of guys that have been employed, maybe as a tradesman, decide to go and become self employed (worst boss you'll ever have), they may have been earning $30 per hour, so they figure they'll be quids in if they charge their time at say $45 PH. The amount they were getting is just one component of the overall cost of providing the service they perform.

Good advice from Glenn, BD, I carry several thousand dollars worth of extension leads to allow me to connect appliances to any of my PATs or measure the items current leakage, they are the necessary Plant & Equipment expenses of doing business. These sorts of costs are why it's really important to understand your cost structure and make sure you are charging enough to cover the cost of buying all the gear, insurance cover, Standards & Publications, on going training, paying tax and ACC (in NZ) as well as making a living.

A really good book written by an Aussie Electrician is well worth a read if you are self employed in Australia or New Zealand , How To Escape From Quicksand, you can find it on line easily http://escapequicksand.com/