SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: hard wired items
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 pm 

Hi could some one tell me under the new regs for portable appliances states that all hard wired items that are wired into a fused connection box have to be disconected and tested so does this apply to emersion heaters as well or are thay classed as fixed even if wired into a fused conection box thanks richard

Post subject: Re: hard wired items
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Richard

Hopefully some of our members can give you advice on this subject but you might want to try the PAT group on LinkedIn and PAT Testing Network on Facebook.

Regards,
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:04 pm 

thanks Lorna will have a look

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:57 pm 

Hi Richard Carver.
I would suggest that if you only have the C & G qualification in PAT testing then you aren't competent in being able to safely isolate the circuit (No offence intended). Removal of the spur's fuse isn't safe isolation.

Also consider.
Is there enough info available to identify which breaker isolates the circuit? Trial and error wouldn't be tolerated in the work place (whoops you've just cut the power to the accounts department!!!!)
Are you 110% sure that only that appliance will be turn off?

Obviously testing hard wired appliances will take alot longer, cause more disruption and will cost the company a lot more.

I've got nurseries, banks, doctors, industrial units, garages, building sites. All sorts but none of them want me there outside of their normal working hours so powering down circuits is not an option.

Generally beyond the scope of PAT but could be done during fixed wiring checks and yes they should be tested.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Generally beyond the scope of PAT but could be done during fixed wiring checks and yes they should be tested.

The inspection and testing of fixed/hard wired appliances may be beyond the scope of PAT, but is most definitely within the scope of in-service inspection and testing, as evidenced by the Code of Practice for a long while now.
So it doesn't necessarily mean it can only be done during the fixed wiring I&T, nor does it mean that it can't be done during in-service I&T.
The important thing is that whoever is carrying out the work is competent to do so.

So in-service I&T operatives/companies shouldn't dismiss fixed appliance testing out of hand ("it's not portable!"), unless they are not competent to do it.
Nor should fixed wiring testers refuse to do it because "it's an appliance, innit?".
It's down to the duty holder of the premises to contract the correct people to cover all the work needed, and agree what their remit is.

Unfortunately, a lot of testing operatives think that because they have their 2377, and it's covered in the CoP, they must test these sorts of appliances.
A step back, and a brief self-assessment ("Am I competent to carry out this work?") is definitely in order in some cases.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hi Richard Carver.
I would suggest that if you only have the C & G qualification in PAT testing then you aren't competent in being able to safely isolate the circuit (No offence intended). Removal of the spur's fuse isn't safe isolation.

Also consider.
Is there enough info available to identify which breaker isolates the circuit? Trial and error wouldn't be tolerated in the work place (whoops you've just cut the power to the accounts department!!!!)
Are you 110% sure that only that appliance will be turn off?

Obviously testing hard wired appliances will take alot longer, cause more disruption and will cost the company a lot more.

I've got nurseries, banks, doctors, industrial units, garages, building sites. All sorts but none of them want me there outside of their normal working hours so powering down circuits is not an option.

Hope that helps

HI Rich thanks thats helpful will speak to my manager on this