SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Calculating the Resistance of a Lead.

I am sure this has been done many times before, however I haven't looked at it, so I thought I would write a free small program to calculate the resistance of a cable to assist in determining the continuity limit when pat testing.

To calculate the resistance of the cable, type in the length in metres and the Cross Sectional Area of the conductor in mm2. The drop down buttons will give a selection of common lengths and cross sectional areas.

Attachment:
File comment: Free lead resistance calculator for PC
SPSCuCalc.jpg
SPSCuCalc.jpg [ 35.62 KiB | Viewed 4053 times ]

Once I have tested it and got Carl to design me an icon, I will upload it to our utilities and downloads section.

The calculation is based on the resistivity of copper at 20 degrees celcius which I have taken to be 1.68 x 10 -8 ohm metre.

If anyone finds this free resistance calculator program useful and would like it written for Android as an app for their mobile phone or tablet then let me know and I will re program it for that platform.

If you have any feedback for modifications etc then please let me know.

Last edited by richard on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
23rd February Spelling Mistakes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Free Android app to Calculate the Resistance of a Lead to assist in setting the limit for Earth continuity of PAT testing.

Attachment:
File comment: Free App To Calculate Cable Resistance For PAT Testing Continuity Limits
android cucalc.jpg
android cucalc.jpg [ 12.11 KiB | Viewed 4036 times ]

I have been doing some work on an Android version of the same app to calculate resistance of a wire.

There is quite alot of work involved in order to make the app compatible with the various different phones and tablets, however once ive catered for the most common screen resolutions of these devices i will submit it to the google app store so it can be downloaded.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

PC App to Calculate the Resistance Of a lead

We have released the free app to calculate the resistance of a cable, based on it's length and cross sectional area.

You can download it here: (you will need to have a forum account to do so.)

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=773&p=2549#p2549

This program should run if you have SimplyPats installed. If you encounter problems running the program please contact us.

NOTE. The values calculated disagree with Table VII.1 Page 124 of the 3rd Revision of the IET Code of Practice, Table VI.1 Page 134 of the 4th Revision of the IET Code of Practice. There is no methodolgy given in the IET codes of practice as to how the resistance of leads are calulated. We are still investigating this discrepancy and would be grateful to anyone who can shed light on this.

Attachment:
File comment: Resistance in Ohms Of Copper Cable
SPSCuCalc.jpg
SPSCuCalc.jpg [ 44.74 KiB | Viewed 4004 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 pm 

This sounds very interesting. I appreciate if you will share a link to download. I would love to know more about this app to calculate the resistance of the cable. Hope will get more and more information about general PAT testing on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi johnluke

The link below should allow you to download the PC app which you can have a play with. Please remember it is a beta, although we have now cross checked the results against the code of practice, I still have some questions about how the BS6500 calculations are made, there are also some minor discrepancies related to rounding of very small numbers.

The link to the PC version is below you can download it here as you already have a forum acount:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=773

The android app has been written but I have to make it compatible with loads of different screen resolutions which make take me some time. I will post once I have the android app ready for a beta test.

Are you using an android phone or tablet?

I would appreciate any feedback on the app if you download it.

Regards, Richard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Modification to the Free app (PC and Android) to Calculate the Resistance of a Lead

March 7th 2013

We have made a minor modification to the way the app calculates the resistance of a cable. At 1.5 mm2 and 2.5mm2 the calulation was deviating from the BS6500 calculations.

On the android app we have coded for 3 screen resolutions which we hope will cover the majority of tablets and phones. We have also configured the app so it runs in portrait mode only. This is to speed up development to get a working beta version out.