SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:10 pm 

Has anyone applied to be assessed for CHAS?

I have a potential client that has asked if I have this accreditation. If i get it... "the job's mine"..

I have contacted the organisation for help, that was less than fruitfull, and was told to download and complete Appendix 2A http://www.chas.gov.uk/Downloads.aspx the person at CHAS wasn't that forth coming with any assistance, nor to pointing me in the right direction to gain assistance, in completing the application.

Im hoping that someone within SPS Forum has something to offer.

Appreciate any advice/help/assistance.

Regards,

Allan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:31 pm 

Hi Allan (AMP)
I was CHAS registered via my local authority which enable me to be listed on their preferred contractors list. This involved having a robust Health and Safety policy, which included your method statement, 5 step risk assessment, both generic and site specific, Your account details, Insurance, methods of CPD (continual personnel development) I.e. training, and some dosh to become a member. Oh yes I think there was an annual assessment, but not too sure.
Once to get the forms from the CHAS team, go through it and if you are not sure knock on their door.
I do believe this is another tool to be that little better than your opponents, which in turn might lead to more work. Don’t really help me but that was due to the local authority decided to do it in-house! (that's PAT)

best of luck and please keep me informed.

Oh yes just remembered, they wanted a copy of my NEBOSH certificates (H&S qualifiactions)

Steve

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk

Last edited by Steve. on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:23 am 

Cheers Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Certainly food for thought.

I have downloaded the relevant application documents, that part was the easy bit!!.

Regards,

Allan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 pm 

No problem Allan,

if i can be of any further assistance please drop me a PM or reply back on this thread

Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:46 pm 

I am not sure if you can obtain CHAS via the Council anymore, these were sponsored routes and I believe it was to promote the system in the first place.

There are several organisations that are similar to CHAS and they all operate under the SSIP umbrella.

As a rule some organsation tend to obtain accreditation from say CHAS and then because another client accepts smas (also approved under SSIP) they will only accept smas, hence the SSIP has agreements to accept any of their members to cross link with each other.

Having said that there is a fee, but the fee is usually between £50 to £100 and you fill in one form and and include a copy of your certificate i.e. smas certificate which will get you a CHAS certificate.

The way I used to do it was smas because our clients insisted on it, then obtain a CHAS certificate on the back of it.

What does it entail to get accredited? this depends on how many people you employ and what management systems you have in place?

There are safety consultants/companies that will assist you through the process but the prices vary from £350 to £700 from what I have seen and I am not sure if this includes the registration fee? or any help with documentation support.

Have a look on the SSIP web site and see the approved organisations, its worth delving into a bit further, again is the work that you may get pay for the CHAS type accreditation? Which I believe is now annually.

If you need anymore information let me know?

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:17 pm 

Hi Steve_C
Yes I believe you are correct in saying that being unable to obtain the CHAS registration via the Council anymore (well that’s the case via my local authority) I have a few letters from the council promoting CHAS and options on how to continue my registration via another route/ organisation, but decided not to pursue this option at this time. One reason was that I was anticipating work from within the authority, but now carry out this type of work in-house

With regarding to safety consultants/companies, being from a H&S background I was able to complete this myself which saved on their fees.

Steve.