SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:32 pm 

Hi

I thought this might be of interest; I came across it today from the Professional-electricians article, makes interesting reading, also I see the price for a copy from an outlet like Amazon is in the region of £48.00, more money to shell out!!
:cry:

http://professional-electrician.com/opinion/pat-testing-new-code-practice

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi steve

Thanks for posting this link, the comments in the article regarding risk assessment are interesting.

I have often thought of including in Simplypats a column to categorize an appliance as to it's risk and therefore to flag it's need for heightened or reduced frequency for full electrical testing.

With development of our software I am tempted to put in this user risk analysis of an appliance maybe with a list of classifications e.g. 1 to 5 from High Risk to Low Risk. The tester could then add this to their data and prioritise testing accordingly?

We have already prototyped including a much more strengthed visual inspection of appliances for those wishing to assess appliances between full inspection and test points.

Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:12 pm 

Hi Richard

Great idea about adding or thinking of adding this to SP, what about using one of the test fields when adding the in the test data, say 1 to 5 like you said, 1 being 4 years (low risk) and 5 being high risk (3 months), then depending on the number entered in the spare field during testing (Megger-serial no.??) then SP would them insert the appropriate re-test period.

Also I read today about the new proposed labelling were the engineer now only suggests to enter the test date only, along with the asset ID.

See scanned article from Professional Electrician Nov 2012 pages 37/38.

Attachments:
Pro Elect PAT2.jpg
Pro Elect PAT2.jpg [ 167.83 KiB | Viewed 3652 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve, thanks for the post.

We are waiting on the IET Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (4th Edition) so that we can fully understand what changes have been made.

We are looking to see what recommendations have been made to the risk analysis of an appliance and determining retesting intervals to see what changes may be needed to SimpyPats to ensure tools to record the risk analysis and tools to assist in the risk analysis of an appliance are created.

Obviously we cannot fully persue these issues until we read the new COP 4th edition as like yourself we are not privy to any advance information.

As soons as the IET Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment 4th edition is released we will try and determine what is the best way ahead to keep Simplypats up to date.

Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:33 am 

all companys offering pat services will have to offer risk based pat testing i think this will be a good thing and hopefully get rid of the quick sticker cowboys who have tarnished pat testing.
most of the companys we deal with will need help from us to understand the risk element as very few managers and bosses will know what to look for in this type of risk assesment.
will City & Guilds be updating the 2377 to reflect the 4th edition like the 17th edition updates. another 300 quids worth i bet.
i think we all going to have a interesting few months ahead :?

A.H Electrical Services
Leicestershire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:29 pm 

Hi I think you are right in saying that PAT will take on a new look with risk assessments now having to be possibly the responsibility of the client. I personally think that it will all revert back to the engineer to make that judgment / call, because as soon as you mention risk assessment to Mr or Mrs average client you see a look of horror on their faces which is what I have today in general discussion . Based on that the client might say, carry on as before (12 monthly cycles) because of the responsibly and liability now seems to be on their shoulders.

I have no problem with risk assessments and it looks like Seaward is gearing up for this with their new proposed PAT that carries/supports risk assessments within their hardware. Hummm!

I also support what you say about the ‘sticky label cowboys’ it might deter them from PAT, and bring back some sort of structure and reflection on the professional PAT engineer/industry

steve.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:40 pm 

Hi People

Thought i just drop a line to say that i now have the 4th CofP, looks like i now have some bed time reading :shock: .
And so it begins, Risk assessments (5 step risk assessments), new label formats, etc etc etc,
More expense to get my art work changed for labels :roll:

Well we must embrace it and not fight it. It will be for the good :!: .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

IET Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment 4th edition

Hi Steve, just to let you know our copy of the COP 4th edition arrived today.

Having had only a brief look at it I'm not sure what I think of the changes and what in particular it will mean for our software.

Just initial thoughts:

1) Microwave testing seems to have been removed

2) RCD testing is still mentioned although testing recomended is as it was i.e. it is not an more explicit in the testing that needs to be carried out and not as complex as in the Joint Australian and New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 3760:2010

3) Guidance on the initial frequency of inspection and testing of equipment (table 7.1) has been changed somewhat and while I may not fully grasp what is being recomended I see anomalies: e.g. No cobined inspection and testing of Class II equipment in hotels, although this is in variance with that suggested for Class II equipment used by the public?

4) Much emphasis is placed on the duty holder perorming risk assessments in order to determine the frequency of formal visual and or combined inspection and testing. One wonders how duty holders and or pat testers will approach this?

5) Additional classification or equipment e.g. IT, Stationery, Portable etc seems need to be included maybe to assist in risk assessment?

6) Formal visual checks seem to be more formalised with additional specific information to be recorded.

Obviously these are just my initial thoughts but will have to clarify what changes might be required to SimplyPats once I have fully digested the book.

Richard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Formal Visual Inspection, PAT Risk Assessment

We are currently making amendments to SimplyPats in light of the IET Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (4th Edition).

In additon we are progressing some applications for android smartphones / tablets in light of recent the recomendations made by the HSE and the new IET COP.

See the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=732

Any constructive feedback on these issues and our development of SimplyPats would be welcomed.

Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:38 pm 

Can I jump onto this thread with a related query on the new code of practice?

My query is has the table in version 3 changed in version 4 for construction site portable electrical equipment to be PAT tested every 3 months?

I have noted the change in low risk environments and the HSE change in guidance but unable to pick up anything on Construction sites?

Regards

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve

The construction site guidance table has not changed and according to the COP 4th Edition it still recommends a 3 monthly testing frequency for combined inspection and testing. This is applicable for both Class I and Class II appliances. However IT equipment is now classed as N/A.

No change has been made to the recommendation that 230V portable or hand-held equipment should be inspected/tested more frequently and still recommends that the equipment be RCD (30mA) protected.

Please read the COP 4th Edition before acting on the info above as there is no guarantee that I have interpreted the information accurately and there may be other changes that you might need to take into consideration.

Regards,
Lorna