SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:05 pm 

Hi People of Simply PAT's and the PAT testing group.

I came across this article from another forum and it struck a point that i am sure we as engineers come across far to often, whether it during the testing or view item details such I have recently on eBay being a li-po battery charger, where people are not aware of selling equipment with plug issues. Please note that the issue of sleeved earth pins has been covered on this forum in the past along with a photo
This is where this epetitions.direct.gov.uk comes in, with enough support we might get a handle on these issues.

The site reads:

Regulate the sale of all plug-in devices intended for use in 13A sockets
Responsible department: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills

The safety of UK 13 amp standard plugs and sockets is protected by The Plugs And Sockets Regulations which require that they comply with BS1363. To supply or offer to supply a plug which is of non-compliant size is a criminal offence. However, there is no similar protection to ensure that other devices sold for use with13A sockets are compliant with the size requirements of BS1363. This means that there are many devices on the UK market EG socket covers, telephone chargers and other plug like devices which are unsafe to insert into a socket, either because they have incorrectly sized pins which can damage sockets resulting in arcing thus significantly increasing the risk of fires, or do not maintain a level of protection equivalent to a standard plug or empty socket thereby increasing the risk of electric shock because the shutters of the sockets remain open.
We urge the government to extend regulation to include all plug in devices intended for use in BS1363 sockets.

So if you agree please take a few minutes and complete the epetition. I don’t normally sign up for such, but having come across in the past it’s a great idea

Cheers
Steve.

The link is
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/36699?goback=%2Egde_2999361_member_142341651

All in accordance with The IEE CofP
www.handselectrical.co.uk