SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Testing PC CPUs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:06 pm 

Did my 2377 many moons ago but never actually used it. Now it seems I'm going to be doing a bit of PAT testing (I've been 'volunteered'). So, a quick question about testing PC CPUs: What's the accepted method for making sure the CPU is 'on' while testing? I was thinking just to use the handle of an insulated screwdriver to keep the power button pressed throughout the test. Is that about right or is there a better workaround?

Post subject: Re: Testing PC CPUs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:36 pm 

I wouldn't make sure the PC was 'turned on' at all if I were testing!

All the PC should need is earth continuity (soft test @ 20mA - 200mA, depending on what your tester can do), and then an IR test (500V is fine for modern IT equipment, but if you are wary then go with a 250V (if you tester is able to)).
If there is a 'hard' mains switch on the PSU, usually next to the IEC inlet (some have, some haven't), do make sure this in the 'on' position.
I wouldn't perform any test that would power up the PC to 230V mains, and certainly wouldn't make the PC begin to boot, as it will loose power after about 5 s (when the test ends), and crash out of the boot sequence. Not good, in general.

Post subject: Re: Testing PC CPUs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:56 pm 

Cheers for that, Grizzly. I mistakenly thought I was obliged to do a touch current test on PCs but a quick read through the Code Of Practice confirms exactly what you're saying. And no problem with the soft test options, the machine I'll be using is a Megger PAT4 DV3.

Thanks again,
Tom.