SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Frequency of Testing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:41 pm 

My employer sent me to a job on Friday. It's one we've attended every year for around the last 4 years - this was the first time I've attended this particular job. It involved visiting a house and testing a total of 14 items. The home owners were a wee old couple in their 70's who do a bit of singing/musical accompaniment for local charity's and good causes. The items I tested were a couple of Peavey Amps, a couple of 4-gang extensions, a 10-metre extension reel, Technics keyboard, 4 x Class 2 AC's and a few IEC Leads; that's it. My company charged the couple £90, which I felt was outrageous, but it's not my company so I don't make the prices. My query is this; how frequently would this couple need to get their testing done? At the moment they're doing it every year, but the Code of Practice is pretty vague about this type of testing. I asked them what sort of environments they perform in and it's mainly church-halls. They do the odd community centre and school hall, but it's hymns and stuff that they perform for free. They sell tickets for their performances but every penny they raise they give to whichever charity they're performing for. If anyone can give me a definitive answer I'd appreciate it as I just felt that taking that sort of money was wrong and I honestly felt really bad about doing so.

Post subject: Re: Frequency of Testing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Hi

I better let someone more qualified answer this question but I just wanted to reply as it’s a very nice post!

On the bright side at least you know their equipment is safe and they can sing their hymns without worry.

Regards,

Lorna

Post subject: Re: Frequency of Testing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:20 pm 

Hi Popeyeno7,

The fee mentioned (having trouble with conversion rates) may be a little high, however, do any of the items have detachable power leads? Under the Australian New Zealand Standard 3760 - 2010 you would have to test these leads independently and then connect them to the powered unit eg amplifiers for testing as well. This would result in two tags for an overall unit. Even if there is a power pack (AC-DC unit) with a detachable power lead then the lead and the actual AC-DC unit would need to be tested, but not the DC powered unit. If there is any travel involved it also may attract a fee. So, depending on the number of tags and any travel, the fee may be high, particularly for these elderly people providing a service and entertainment for others.
As far as frequency is concerned, and under the Aust Standard, as these items are being regularly moved around, they are also subject to regular flexing. The 12 month period for retesting is reasonable. It is not where the equipment is being used but the use and or possible abuse the equipment is subject too. What also needs to be considered is what is the Policy of the Controllers of the venues they are operating in? There are places here in Aust. where you cannot introduce any electrical equipment into a venue unless it has been tagged. A 12 month cycle would/should keep the venue operator happy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Glenn
(Glenfer)